Has anybody raced their tsx yet???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At least the IS300 won't be on that list
It's another toss up. But the auto TSX will get it in the butt. Neither car shines when it concerns acceleration.
The only thing lexus>Acura on is the $$. A $5000 or so premium for THAT piece of shit? Talk to me when they redesign the car
The IS 300 was the first SERIOUS attempt at beating the 3 from a Japanese car maker. Not only was it marketed that way, it has the credentials as well. It has won rave reviews worldwide.

The TSX is getting favorable reviews overseas where it is the Accord. It is getting decent reviews here..
Old 07-17-2003, 08:35 AM
Pro

i felt IS300 is purposely design for performance.... layout, platform, .... TSX lean towrd lexury..... TSX is a bit too tall otherwise it's handling will be even better..... it's taller then 03 accord... but i feel that TSX may be as fast as IS on the highway.. and both faster then 325... (strange, BMW does not need to be fast to sell it's car... look at 323, or 320 pos...)
Old 07-17-2003, 11:52 PM
Advanced

Perhaps almost a dream come true, I passed a gorgeous Maserti on the Pasadena freeway (my wannabe racetrack course). Granted the driver was on the phone and not really paying attention. One can dream, right?
Old 07-18-2003, 12:23 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,101 Likes on 2,707 Posts
I saw a red maserati parked in a garage in Glendale and I saw them at the LA auto show. They are nice looking, BUT no manual...so poop on that.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:26 AM
Blueberry

I was at a dealer the other day that had Aston Martins and they had about 8 of them, and only 1 of them was a manual, I found that really odd since they seem to be such a performance oriented car!
Old 07-18-2003, 12:27 PM
7th Gear

Every chance I get! Havn't lost yet!

It dosnt seem like people look for a challenge, but when I get on it, they realize they would of lost if they tried.

:wackit:
Old 07-18-2003, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

Bad news in Balto.!

I'm just about broken-in, at 700+ miles on a six speed, and just had my ass handed to me by an older Nissan Sentra SE-R! We went at it off the line from three stoplights, and I took him by a couple car lengths each time...BUT, the fourth light led to a long straightaway, and he must have opened a bottle o' nitrous on me, cuz he left me about three lengths behind him after fifth gear!
It's a GREAT car, but it AIN'T no Formula One ride! Maybe she'll pick up some more speed as she gets more broken in...and maybe Saddam will just turn himself in, too!
Old 07-18-2003, 04:34 PM

just had my ass handed to me by an older Nissan Sentra SE-R!
Old 07-18-2003, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by vasu
i don't think anyone's TSX's are broken in yet for that sorta thing...
Mine is...just got back from a road trip tonight with over 5000kms on the car!

I've raced a few of the suped up Civics and such...smoked em all!!! I like the looks on their faces when they get beaten by a "family" car

I also raced with a late 80's Celica Supra (the old big hatchback style) and killed him off the line, but I let off the gas and let him get in front of me so that he wouldn't hit a cyclist.

BTW, I've had mine up just over 200km/h just to see what it feels like...it feels great!

Later!
Old 07-19-2003, 12:22 AM
Pro

YOU PEOPLE ARE ON CRACK!

I love the TSX as much as the next guy, but to question the 1/4 mile times achieved by the professional drivers at Motor Trend and other car guru's is a little ridiculous don't you think?

The TSX is a nice sporty 4 door sedan, but it is not a fast car. It handles well, but it is not a true sports car. It is perfectly normal to be a proud owner, but keep your head out of the clouds. You have a fairly well priced, loaded, sporty 4-door sedan that is fun to drive. If you are smokin' a superior automobile, then that driver sucks, not the car. Ripping on BMW, Lexus, Audi is pointless, they all make great cars that can compete with the TSX in every way, except price. That alone should make you smile. Don't try and turn this car into more than it is, because we all know it isn't.
Be honest, if the BMW and/or Lexus were $4,000 cheaper, 85% of you would be on the BMW and/or Lexus sites right now ripping on that wimpy 4-Cylinder that Acura just came out with.

I have driven them all within the last few weeks and they all have pro's and con's, but they are all great cars. I will most likely end up with the TSX or TL S-Type based on "bang for your buck" factor, not because I can beat an 325i driven by a housewife.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:09 AM
More On

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
YOU PEOPLE ARE ON CRACK!
I love the TSX as much as the next guy....
The TSX is a nice sporty 4 door sedan, but it is not a fast car. It handles well, but it is not a true sports car. It is perfectly normal to be a proud owner, but keep your head out of the clouds. You have a fairly well priced, loaded, sporty 4-door sedan that is fun to drive. If you are smokin' a superior automobile, then that driver sucks, not the car......Don't try and turn this car into more than it is, because we all know it isn't......I have driven them all within the last few weeks....I will most likely end up with the TSX or TL S-Type based on "bang for your buck" factor, not because I can beat an 325i driven by a housewife.
Buff, I don't think you love the TSX as much as the next guy (not yet, anyway) --
but then again anyone's a fool to argue with someone else about "love."

In a way, I agree that maybe people are trying to make too much of the TSX as a speed car -- but if so, just a little. I don't think you can point to a single post here that says anything blatantly absurd. The only gripe I have is that straightaway speed just isn't TSX's forte, and isn't its selling point. If anything, we should probably find a way of getting more into how neat it is "on the twisties" (as Prov said). But the thing about the speed is how surprisingly good it is, when there was no reason to expect it would even be in the running.

It's great that you think you might wind up with a TSX. (If you get the TL-S, don't be surprised if you want to trade it in for a TSX real soon, like I did.) And if you get the TSX, I bet that pretty soon you'll be feeling that you did better than you thought you were gonna do.

Just my one cent.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Advanced

I think Larchmont said it. Most people are impressed with the TSX and as far as performance goes; the TSX is right there with the 325, A41.8T, IS300, C230, 9-3 (Arc even) (it ain't no embaressment so to speak). What is interesting is that the torque and hp have proven to be under-rated, the handling could be improved by a tire swap and with a few small mods the TSX could own all of the above. Not that performance is everything, cuz it ain't. But the flavour the TSX brings is unique and does have its place amongst the heavy competition.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Pro

The TSX was my 1st choice right off the bat, but after reading 3 pages of complaints about rattling and a clunking sound in the front end when turning, I am having 2nd thoughts. That is the trouble with 1st year cars, they haven't weeded out all of the problems and so "we" (the consumers) act as the giunea pigs.

There is nothing worse than spending this kind of money on a car and then having to listen to a rattle that you cannot fix or get to. And I don't see slightly tweaking my windows as an acceptible solution for the next 36 months.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:12 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TSX was my 1st choice right off the bat, but after reading 3 pages of complaints about rattling and a clunking sound in the front end when turning, I am having 2nd thoughts. That is the trouble with 1st year cars, they haven't weeded out all of the problems and so "we" (the consumers) act as the giunea pigs.

There is nothing worse than spending this kind of money on a car and then having to listen to a rattle that you cannot fix or get to. And I don't see slightly tweaking my windows as an acceptible solution for the next 36 months.

AS I posted yesterday...that window thing seemed to solve my problem permanently. NOw even with the windows tight i hear no rattles. I havent been in my car yet today but I will post later once i test it again. But for now..it looks like my car is pretty much rattle free.

As for that thud when turning? Thats news to me. I must have missed that post. Who is hearing that? More than one person?

I agree you always have to put up with a few glitches with first year cars but I would like to add 2 things. 1...I would think with honda this is usually less of a problem than with other brands (look at the coil pack failures on the redesigned 2002 audi a4). and 2, while this car is new..it has been out a few months in europe and perhaps some of the initial issues have been dealt with. Untill we hear about a consistent problem in the engine or drivetrain..ill say this car is built very well.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:53 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Originally posted by fdl
Untill we hear about a consistent problem in the engine or drivetrain..ill say this car is built very well.
Yep. I agree.

ACURA TSX
Old 07-19-2003, 03:22 PM
Drifting

[B]YOU PEOPLE ARE ON CRACK!
Yes, thank you.

I love the TSX as much as the next guy, but to question the 1/4 mile times achieved by the professional drivers at Motor Trend and other car guru's is a little ridiculous don't you think?
Not really, M/T made a mockery of their test. Each of the three cars tested posted unusually low numbers. I question them.

The TSX is a nice sporty 4 door sedan, but it is not a fast car. It handles well, but it is not a true sports car.
You say it handles well but that it's not a true sports car. I agree with this in as much as the IS300, BMW 3-series, MB, Saab, Audi, etc. aren't true sports cars either. So it's a moot point.

Ripping on BMW, Lexus, Audi is pointless, they all make great cars that can compete with the TSX in every way, except price. That alone should make you smile. Don't try and turn this car into more than it is, because we all know it isn't. Be honest, if the BMW and/or Lexus were $4,000 cheaper, 85% of you would be on the BMW and/or Lexus sites right now ripping on that wimpy 4-Cylinder that Acura just came out with.
Maybe they all can compete, but even if price were no object, you could put me down as one of the 15% who would choose a TSX over anything else. I rip on their wimpy 6-cylinders all the time.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:41 PM
More On

......a clunking sound in the front end when turning.....

(Agree with FDL.)
Old 07-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by larchmont

(Agree with FDL.)

Over a month of ownership, and 3000 + K's later, I have yet to hear any noise when turning ... left or right.

What is he talking about????????????? No such problem exists!

TSXKid
Old 07-19-2003, 06:01 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Originally posted by AcuraIllinois
In reply to vasu,

Plenty of people have their TSX broken in.

The TSX and Limited Legend 200 hp are pretty close.
Between a TSX and a TL Type S, the Type S is faster off the line and was able to pull 1 car length ahead. (When the driver of the Type S tried using the tiptronic on his car, my TSX was able to beat him ):P

I have an automatic and was going against automatics.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:03 PM
GEEZER

Originally posted by tsxfan
Every chance I get! Havn't lost yet!

It dosnt seem like people look for a challenge, but when I get on it, they realize they would of lost if they tried.

:wackit:
Come to Tampa....
Old 07-19-2003, 06:51 PM
More On

Originally posted by 1killercls
Come to Tampa....
I feel a steel-cage match coming on.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Blueberry

Originally posted by 1killercls
Come to Tampa....
I will, but won't be bringing the Acura!!

JK, I'm a good 16 hours from you!
Old 07-19-2003, 08:47 PM
GEEZER

I feel a steel-cage match coming on.
OK Here is my pic..I just need to weigh in!
Old 07-19-2003, 08:49 PM
GEEZER

Originally posted by TSXY
I will, but won't be bringing the Acura!!

JK, I'm a good 16 hours from you!
328's are one of my Favorite Meals.....

Old 07-19-2003, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

I raced my friend's mopad and won!

We were at a stop light, I switched to manual stick, light turned green and we both went for it, he jumped out in front by 1 1/2 mopad length before I could get any real RPM, but as my engine roared, the needle on my tachometer started dancing in front of me, by the time I switched to second I have already caught up to him. The engine kept revving, I switched to third, leaving my friend and his mopad further and further away. What a sweet win!! Later, I waited for my friend and gave him a big

Old 07-19-2003, 11:37 PM
More On

Originally posted by rzee
I raced my friend's mopad and won!......
Another liar!

LIAR LIAR!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 01:29 AM
Pro

Here you go kids...

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=4238

Old 07-20-2003, 01:35 AM
Pro

A few people here are a little disappointed too, makes it hard to get excited about this car. I wish it wasn't so...

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=4148
Old 07-20-2003, 01:39 AM
More On

Here you go kids...

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=4238

Good get.

He's right, at least in that there have been complaints about a "clunk" coming from the front right side when making a sharp turn. A few people on "the other side" have reported this, starting just a couple of days ago, apparently not before.

Don't know what to make of it. I haven't had it, and it doesn't seem like anybody on our site has reported it, at least not yet.

P.S. The thread in Buff's second post above seems to be about the infamous "rattles."
Old 07-20-2003, 01:45 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

You cant get excited about the car because some people have rattles?

I read the clunking thread..it seems that just the abs. And the rattles..while are ANNOYING...are a very small blemish on a great car. ANd if they bother you that much...turn off your radio.

Or hey...go buy something else. Lets try this...you name a car that has no problems..or less problems than the tsx. Thats the challenge.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:26 AM
Pro

Some? Not too many people even have this car yet and only about 10% of those owners even know this board exists. Even so, the 3 sites have numerous complaints about rattles. It's obviously a problem and turning up or down your radio is no solution. Forgive me for gathering facts before making a purchase. The question is wether or not Acura is going to do anything about these problems if you are one of the unfortunate ones who have rattles. Most people have been turned away with "can not duplicate" which is a major blow off.
I have a 1999 Acura CL 3.0 right now with some rattles that have developed over 40,000 miles. To me, that is acceptible and yet it drives me nuts and so I want to get rid of it. We have a baby on the way and so we are looking at 4 doors instead of 2. Already have an SUV.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:51 AM
More On

If we can win this dude over, we're good.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:56 AM
10th Gear

Interesting, could someone explain why the BMW 325 would or could be faster than the TSX? Liter and HP wise, TSX is superior isnt it and also I think the BMW is rear end whereas TSXis front wheel drive. I was hoping the TSX would be faster than the BMW and other cars within its category w/o having to compare against
morsels like civics
Old 07-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

If we can win this dude over, we're good.
Why bother, I really don't want more people driving TSX. :P

and BTW, I am not a liar but you are a big fat post whore!!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:11 AM
More On

Originally posted by rzee
Why bother, I really don't want more people driving TSX. :P

and BTW, I am not a liar but you are a big fat post whore!!
Yeah, but at least I don't try to claim that I out-raced a moped!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:32 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by MatrixDude
Interesting, could someone explain why the BMW 325 would or could be faster than the TSX? Liter and HP wise, TSX is superior isnt it and also I think the BMW is rear end whereas TSXis front wheel drive. I was hoping the TSX would be faster than the BMW and other cars within its category w/o having to compare against
morsels like civics

Even though the bmw has less hp, it is SLIGHTLY faster because its rwd and has more torque. When a car accelerates quickly...all its weight shifts to the back, and in a fwd car this will be a disadvantage.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Drifting

Some? Not too many people even have this car yet and only about 10% of those owners even know this board exists. Even so, the 3 sites have numerous complaints about rattles.
Here's my take on this. I will receive my car in the next week or two and it does concern me that people are reporting rattles. The clunk issue is no concern at all. But back to the rattles. After thinking about it and worrying over whether my new TSX will be a rattle trap or not, I came to the conclusion that I was out of line for worrying. Two reasons for that:

1. The people reporting the problems number maybe 10-15 cars. That's a very vocal minority. Of all the people owning TSXs on this site and the other, we can figure about 250. Maybe more, maybe less. But let's just figure 250. That means that roughly 5% or so of owners are reporting significant rattle problems. Even if my math is wrong (and it's open for debate), and there are 30 TSXs with a rattle problem, that still amounts to 15% of the forum users. That number is acceptable to me and I'll take my chances.

2. It's under warranty. I know this is as much of a cop-out as the "can't duplicate," but that's a fact. I like my dealer and trust them based on past experiences, so if I do have rattles I have every confidence they will eventually find them and correct them. Not to mention the fact that if this car really does have a rattle problem, Acura will come out with a fix that all dealers can apply. With 50,000 miles to stop any potential rattles, I'm not worried.

I hope this helps. Besides, what else can you buy at this price point that's better? Nothing. And if you step up in price to go with a Saab, MB, BMW, or Audi, you may have real problems and not just a rattle.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:44 AM
More On

Hey Jase, I think your math was pretty darn good. The best we can do on something like that involves a lot of intelligent guessing, and IMO you did about as well as can be done.

This "rattle" thing has various threads of its own, and probably this stuff should go there. But while we're on the subject, "rattles" was a big part of why I couldn't wait to get rid of my TL-S, and I've had zero such problems with the TSX.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, but at least I don't try to claim that I out-raced a moped!
Well, you shouldn't because you haven't raced a moped.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by fdl
Even though the bmw has less hp, it is SLIGHTLY faster because its rwd and has more torque. When a car accelerates quickly...all its weight shifts to the back, and in a fwd car this will be a disadvantage.

I don't completely understand the relationship between torque and horsepower, but I do know that in off-the-line acceleration torque is EVERYTHING.

The Honda products do well (some do very well) at acceleration once they get the rpms up, but their off-the-line acceleration often isn't enough to beat other cars in the 0-30 away-from-the-stoplight range. If you've ever been beaten across the intersection by a Metro, you've seen this at work.

Where the TSX would come into its own against other cars would be at higher revs, when the horsepower comes into play, and where it should pull like a freight train all the way to red line.

By-the-way, BMWs are like this as well. Although they generally have more torque than comparable Honda engines, they also come into their own at higher rpms.

Quick Reply: Has anybody raced their tsx yet???