Why is rear camber still out of spec after installing rear camber kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Why is rear camber still out of spec after installing rear camber kit?

Short story: I went in for an alignment and the shop told me that my camber kit has no more adjustment and my rear camber is still out of spec.

Long story: 2 years ago I installed the A-SPEC suspension and Ingalls rear camber kit. After an alignment my camber in the rear finally was in spec after being out of spec ever since I bought the car.

Now two years later, I replaced my tires with the exact same model and the rear camber is again out of spec. I took it in for an alignment, and the shop told me that they had adjusted the camber as much as possible with the Ingalls kit, but that there was no more adjustment capacity. I took a peek under the car today, and it does appear that the central Ingalls SmartArm is tightened all the way down.

Can anyone tell me why I was in spec 2 years ago, and now I can't be in spec? Should I care? I feel like the car is a bit twitchier on the highway than it was 2 years ago, but it may just be that it's is older now.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you hit anything such as curbs potholes speedbumps at a speed that may have bent something?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Racer

I live in Atlanta (pot holes), but I haven't hit anything big. Both rear wheels are out of spec; -1.4 degrees on the left and -2.0 degrees on the right.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It could be possible that just from age and wear and tear that the car won't be in spec without a major overhaul.

On our 99 Accord the spec is off in the rear as well. I asked the dealer what we could do and he said without replacing a ton of stuff it won't be in spec again.

Sorry to throw you the bad news but it's old age. Can you get any other camber kits that have more movement?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Racer

Well if my TSX is finally starting to show some age after 9 years of fun, I suppose that's a reason to move forward with the plan I've been mulling over in my head: BRZ...hopefully an STi model if they release it by summer.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by stewie20068
Short story: I went in for an alignment and the shop told me that my camber kit has no more adjustment and my rear camber is still out of spec.

Long story: 2 years ago I installed the A-SPEC suspension and Ingalls rear camber kit. After an alignment my camber in the rear finally was in spec after being out of spec ever since I bought the car.

Now two years later, I replaced my tires with the exact same model and the rear camber is again out of spec. I took it in for an alignment, and the shop told me that they had adjusted the camber as much as possible with the Ingalls kit, but that there was no more adjustment capacity. I took a peek under the car today, and it does appear that the central Ingalls SmartArm is tightened all the way down.

Can anyone tell me why I was in spec 2 years ago, and now I can't be in spec? Should I care? I feel like the car is a bit twitchier on the highway than it was 2 years ago, but it may just be that it's is older now.
The right rear upper arm is defective. Acura has a service bulletin for this. You can see it at the link below. I hope this helps.

http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B06-007.pdf
Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by stewie20068
I live in Atlanta (pot holes), but I haven't hit anything big. Both rear wheels are out of spec; -1.4 degrees on the left and -2.0 degrees on the right.
OK, so the present rear camber setting is -1.4 on the left and -2 on the right? If that's the case, then actually, the left is within spec (spec is -.5 to -1.5) and the right isn't that far off. From I've read here over the years, it seems that many 04 and 05 TSX's were manufactured with the rear camber out of spec (irregardless of the right trailing arm TSB). And since the OE rear suspension does not allow for a camber adjustment, you live with it (unless someone does what you did and installs a kit to provide adjustment).

I installed an Ingalls kit when I went to Koni Yellow Sport Shocks under the OE springs on my 05. The drop wasn't dramatic; probably a bit more than the A-spec kit provides. But I didn't like the way the extra negative camber looked, so that's what prompted the camber kit. The Ingalls kit provides a wide rang of adjustment (camber and toe) and I was confused when I read your original post. The A-spec kit shouldn't throw the rear camber out of spec that badly; it doesn't lower the car (and therefore exaggerate rear camber) that much. I don't understand why (or how) an alignment would use up all of the adjustment range; the adjustment should be less than one degree, and the Ingalls rear trailing arms allow for over 3 degrees of adjustment. Are you sure you installed the right kit?

All that said, as long as your shop can get the toe at or near spec (it's out of spec toe that wears tires by the way), don't worry about the camber. It won't effect tire wear, and you won't feel it.

Last edited by Simba91102; 01-20-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
The right rear upper arm is defective. Acura has a service bulletin for this. You can see it at the link below. I hope this helps.

http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B06-007.pdf
It's going to be tough to get a dealership to do this free of charge 7 years after the TSB was published on a 9 year old car (and with aftermarket kits). Hell I couldn't get a dealership to replace a belt that they never replaced. As I said without hauling expensive parts it is something that the OP will need to live with.