wheel alignment issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel alignment issue.

I bought my 05 TSX auto in november of 2004. Now, my mileage is 42000 miles, with the same original set of tires. It's still good i think i can stretch it for another 10000 miles. I always rotate my tires every 10000 miles. But last time i rotated the tires and it look worn out from the inner edge. So i checked the right rear...sure enough, the top part of the wheel tilt in. I took it to the alignment shop, after all the adjustment to see if it need to align...my right rear is out of adjustment than the left rear. He told me to get the Camber kit to complete the adjustment... which by the way is 150 dollars for 1. By the way i needed 2. Comes to think of it ...i always take good care of my car. I never ran over curbs, hit any pot holes, etc..etc. But why it needs to align.? The mechanic told me this is pretty normal for Acura/Honda cars. When i bought the car the dealer should of said...by the way here is a set of Camber kits and this will cost you 300 dollars extra...that is rediculous. So i was holding off on buying the Camber kits. On the way home i noticed that other TSX and the new Honda Accord, their rear wheels are leanning in from the top! wtf..? Have you guys take a look at your rear wheels lately? Is this normal for Acura?
Old 09-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's an optical illlllluuuusion
Old 09-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's a known issue and there's a service bulletin to address the problem (replacing the rear right upper control arm). However, it may or may not correct the problem 100%. In which case, an aftermarket camber kit will solve the problem. The cost for a set (left and right) is about $150.

Search for the bulletin from the link below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34037
Old 09-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTso
It's a known issue and there's a service bulletin to address the problem (replacing the rear right upper control arm). However, it may or may not correct the problem 100%. In which case, an aftermarket camber kit will solve the problem. The cost for a set (left and right) is about $150.

Search for the bulletin from the link below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34037
Hey thanks! I've been looking for something like that to read up on...
Old 09-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by danslvpt
I bought my 05 TSX auto in november of 2004. Now, my mileage is 42000 miles, with the same original set of tires. It's still good i think i can stretch it for another 10000 miles. I always rotate my tires every 10000 miles. But last time i rotated the tires and it look worn out from the inner edge. So i checked the right rear...sure enough, the top part of the wheel tilt in. I took it to the alignment shop, after all the adjustment to see if it need to align...my right rear is out of adjustment than the left rear. He told me to get the Camber kit to complete the adjustment... which by the way is 150 dollars for 1. By the way i needed 2. Comes to think of it ...i always take good care of my car. I never ran over curbs, hit any pot holes, etc..etc. But why it needs to align.? The mechanic told me this is pretty normal for Acura/Honda cars. When i bought the car the dealer should of said...by the way here is a set of Camber kits and this will cost you 300 dollars extra...that is rediculous. So i was holding off on buying the Camber kits. On the way home i noticed that other TSX and the new Honda Accord, their rear wheels are leanning in from the top! wtf..? Have you guys take a look at your rear wheels lately? Is this normal for Acura?
The service bulletin doesn't apply to all 05's. Have your VIN handy and call Acura customer service (number's in the owners manual I think). They can tell you if your car is affected. Save your money on the camber kit. That positive camber is normal; more so if you car is lowered (I assume it isn't since you didn't mention it). That's not what's wearing your tires anyway; if it's alignment, it's the toe. Take your car to an Acura dealer and have them align it. And if you've got 42K+ miles on the crappy OE Michelin's, consider yourself lucky. Use them as long as you can, get an alignment, and buy some decent tires.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Simba91102
The service bulletin doesn't apply to all 05's. Have your VIN handy and call Acura customer service (number's in the owners manual I think). They can tell you if your car is affected. Save your money on the camber kit. That positive camber is normal; more so if you car is lowered (I assume it isn't since you didn't mention it). That's not what's wearing your tires anyway; if it's alignment, it's the toe. Take your car to an Acura dealer and have them align it. And if you've got 42K+ miles on the crappy OE Michelin's, consider yourself lucky. Use them as long as you can, get an alignment, and buy some decent tires.
Hey, thanks...I just got my car back from Sunnyvale Acura...and they replaced the right rear upper arm strut for free, and realignment the 4 wheels for free. But when i asked for the spec. numbers the service man said it should be within spec. limits.? So i took his word for it...when i got home i took a look at my RR wheel and it still look like it was before i brought it in....??? Oh well, may be it's me. But do pass this around for all 04 and 05 TSX owners. This is good info. Thanks, you saved me about 400 bucks... here cheers to you.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by danslvpt
Hey, thanks...I just got my car back from Sunnyvale Acura...and they replaced the right rear upper arm strut for free, and realignment the 4 wheels for free. But when i asked for the spec. numbers the service man said it should be within spec. limits.? So i took his word for it...when i got home i took a look at my RR wheel and it still look like it was before i brought it in....??? Oh well, may be it's me. But do pass this around for all 04 and 05 TSX owners. This is good info. Thanks, you saved me about 400 bucks... here cheers to you.
Glad it worked out for you.