What's a potential source of a rattle behind/above glovebox?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
What's a potential source of a rattle behind/above glovebox?

I have had this REALLY annoying rattle/knock happening over any mild or moderate bumps lately. At first I thought it was coming from within the glovebox but that wasn't the case (I took the glovebox off and the rattle was still there.
I then found a missing bolt for the glovebox latch, replaced it nice and tight, and the rattle is still there.

As far as I can tell, the knock/rattle is coming from somewhere above the glovebox, almost in the airbag area. I would assume that it's a LOT of work to get the dash cover off to take a look, though... anyone know for sure how hard it is to remove the upper dash cover (the part above the silver/wood trim strip that runs the entire width of the dash)?

I have a feeling that a bolt has come loose on something back there and is causing metal to clunk on another piece of solid metal. Its a solid "knock" but is not anything suspension related -- it's somewhere on the cabin side of the firewall I'm almost 100% certain.

Thanks for any input!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 AM

Well, somehow the problem was fixed by way of a new windshield. I had asked the installer what the cause of the noise might be and he found a loose clip at the very bottom of the trim that runs from the wiper area, all the way to the rear window. When reinstalling the trim, be used the windshield urethane and dabbed a bit of it on the clip to prevent it from rattling/clunking/moving around over bumps. It appears to have worked!

Oh, and having a brand new windshield with Aquapel on it is the best thing since sliced bread. Or $295 Hondata.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curls, how happy are you with how the windshield-replacement job turned out? The windshield of my '04 has a couple of little "stars" plus a trillion pits in it, PLUS several long scratches that I created while using an ice scraper quite a few winters back. I'd love to be looking through nice, clear glass again -- at least for a short while. Two things have been making me hesitate on getting the windshield replaced:
1) I'm not sure whether those "stars" are enough damage for my car insurance to cover the cost of replacement.
2) Workmanship is a big concern of mine. I'm WAY pickier than the average car owner, and distorted trim or oozing sealant would bug me to no end. My father needed to have a windshield replaced years ago, and the place he took the car needed three tries before it did an acceptable job. (And he's much less fussy than I am.) Needless to say, I wouldn't be taking my car to the place he went.
I've been trying to figure out how to get recommendations I'd feel comfortable about trusting. (Sometimes I'll hear someone raving about the accident repair job done by a body shop; I always find myself thinking that I'd be looking at the results with a much more critical eye.)
Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 PM

I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out. I made sure he used PPG (PGW now) glass and the proper urethane for the temperatures that day. Also, insist on a new top molding (99% of the time they use a new one anyhow but make sure).

I asked around (friends, relatives, local car forums) for recommendations to find the best-recommended guy. It turns out his price was among the best as well -- $215 installed!

My windshield was among the worse I've ever seen and exactly as you described - extremely pitted, scratches from ice scraper, and although there were no 'stars', it was unbearable.

I'm not sure about insurance where you are but mine would have been covered under comprehensive, but with a $300 deductible. LOL, it was cheaper to pay cash than to pay my insurance company to do it.