Weird noise the 1st time I press the gas pedal and start moving

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Juice!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird noise the 1st time I press the gas pedal and start moving

Hey guys,
I have an 05 6MT TSX. On cooler days, 50 degrees F or below, after I start the car, put the car into reverse or 1st, begin to let the clutch out and press the gas pedal, as the car starts to move slowly, I briefly hear what sounds like someone blowing across the mouth of an empty bottle/jug.

It doesn't last long. If I was in 1st, as soon as I put it into 2nd gear it goes away. If I was in reverse, as soon as I stop and put the car into 1st to go forward, the noise is gone.

Anyway, it's one of those noises that would require me to leave the car with the dealer and even after that, since it's intermittent, there's no guarantee that they would hear it.

The car is stock (not even a CAI) with only 37K miles and apart from regular maintenance, the only recent work done to it was that I had the rear breaks replaced at the dealership.

Has anyone had this issue? Anyone know what it might be?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like another release bearing problem?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had it on my 2004 TSX and it will get worse. I find that mine disappears as the clutch gets warmer, but I had it on my OEM clutch and I have it on my new clutch even with a brand new bearing in there. If you've ever heard a launch from a camera inside a SCCA Touring Car, that's what mine sounds like.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:24 PM
for EVER more!

That's a similar problem to "Steering wheel groan" (see thread) that LukeaTron and I have been trying to diagnose. Temperature of the car and time after startup are both crucial to diagnosis. But my symptoms are incredibly similar.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Juice!

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't know much about the "release bearing." If it is the release bearing, what it is involved with having it replaced?

Problems with the release bearing is possible, since my car already had the clicking clutch problem that was resolved by replacing the master cylinder at 9000 miles.

I'm inclined to think that it may be the "Steering wheel groan" that PittIsIt is describing. In my description I had not mentioned the steering wheel being turned, but when I back out of my garage, the noise starts as I turn into the street.

Also, on a few occasions, when I had to parallel park, as I was turning into the spot in reverse, the noise started. But the noise only happens when the car is in gear and the gas pedal is being pressed gently for the car to move.

Armed with the "release bearing" and "Steering wheel groan" as possibilities, it's time to begin searching the threads

I have to say that this forum is awesome and you guys are great

Since this is one of those occasional issues, it's not a simple matter of leaving the car at dealership and having them take it for a drive and hear the noise. It's good to go there with some knowledge of the potential sources of the problem.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
for EVER more!

OhNo!

Sounds like (sorry for the pun) our problems are striking similar.
One advantage you have over me, is that your location is below 50 degrees for more than 2 months a year. (Maybe not an advantage)

Because it's already 83 during the day here in sunny Central FL, i wont be able to recreate the issue for a dealer until WAY after my warranty is done-zo (I'm at 48 k now)

I can suggest other things, but i dont think they will do anything unless they hear it.

And YES, i've replaced my master clutch cylinder for the squeaky clutch TOO!

Ugh - i grew up in Paoli/Main Line area

PA REPRESENT.

Originally Posted by OhNoItsMe
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't know much about the "release bearing." If it is the release bearing, what it is involved with having it replaced?

Problems with the release bearing is possible, since my car already had the clicking clutch problem that was resolved by replacing the master cylinder at 9000 miles.

I'm inclined to think that it may be the "Steering wheel groan" that PittIsIt is describing. In my description I had not mentioned the steering wheel being turned, but when I back out of my garage, the noise starts as I turn into the street.

Also, on a few occasions, when I had to parallel park, as I was turning into the spot in reverse, the noise started. But the noise only happens when the car is in gear and the gas pedal is being pressed gently for the car to move.

Armed with the "release bearing" and "Steering wheel groan" as possibilities, it's time to begin searching the threads

I have to say that this forum is awesome and you guys are great

Since this is one of those occasional issues, it's not a simple matter of leaving the car at dealership and having them take it for a drive and hear the noise. It's good to go there with some knowledge of the potential sources of the problem.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 AM
for EVER more!

BUMP - GOING IN TODAY TO GET THIS LOOKED OUT i have 75 mi left on my warranty - going to ask about steering rack and release bearing.

Didn't hear it this morning, but i know its a problem and i dont wanna get hosed post-warranty.