Weather Strip And Tint + MANY problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather Strip And Tint + MANY problems

I have 20% tint on my 2006 TSX and saw that the weather stripping is cutting into my tint. So I took my TSX to the stealership, which has been very cooperative with my warranty so far, and they told me that it was not covered under warranty seeing that tint is aftermarket and that I should have not gotten it to begin with(talking like its their car). The Lady is going to be calling me here soon to quote me with this and I bet its going to be in an upwards of 200 + just to fix the damn weather stripping which shouldn't have been messed up in the first place. Oh well just figured I'd rant here seeing that I'm dealing with the dealership

Now has anyone else has this problem where the weather stripping is causing crease lines all the way up all four windows?

Now on with the history of the car. I orginally bought this car with 20,000 miles and I have had this car in the shop longer than it has been on the road. My Throw out bearing went bad, the dealership replaced it, came back three days later after it was fixed, same problem. They decided to replace the clutch and a few other components. Next the clutch is already going bad after just 10k and I have plenty of experience driving manual cars. Next, second gear started to grind, they replaced first and second gear, no problem. Now they broke a bolt underneath the car and zip tied it during the process. They want me to pay for the new bolt and replacement to drill it out (Yea right acura, thats your problem, not mine for your poor service.).

Now I have replaced both fog lights roughly about a month ago and now the passenger foglight has broken AGAIN. !!!!!!!!! I'm just thinking about selling this car because this is obviously one of the slowest biggest sheet boxes I have ever driven. Who knows, maybe I'll keep it. /rant

So has anyone had any of these problems? Besides the foglights which seems to be a pretty common thing with these cars which is fairly acceptable seeing that they are made from glass.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Please do a search on the forum. This is an extremely common problem on our cars due to the fact that acura is too cheap to put felt on the inside weatherstrip of our windows. My advice is to get the scratched window retinted, buy some black felt at this link. I'd get the adhesive felt strip product #:SAS14BK. 25 feet should be fine. Then search for how to guides on this forum for how to take off your door panel and you can apply the felt to your inside weatherstrip for free! No more scratches on your tint.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Racer

tint shops usually refer to the felt as 'mole skin'. when i had my windows tinted they put it on for $25 and gave me a lifetime guarantee for no scratches. they said they would give me th efelt for free and i could put it on myself but they wont guarantee anything.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jottle
Please do a search on the forum. This is an extremely common problem on our cars due to the fact that acura is too cheap to put felt on the inside weatherstrip of our windows. My advice is to get the scratched window retinted, buy some black felt at this link. I'd get the adhesive felt strip product #:SAS14BK. 25 feet should be fine. Then search for how to guides on this forum for how to take off your door panel and you can apply the felt to your inside weatherstrip for free! No more scratches on your tint.
I totally forgot about the search button! My bad, sorry bout that, but thank you so much for that answer, I've been clueless for the past 3 months wondering why my windows are scratched to hell. Thanks so much

Originally Posted by Worth
tint shops usually refer to the felt as 'mole skin'. when i had my windows tinted they put it on for $25 and gave me a lifetime guarantee for no scratches. they said they would give me th efelt for free and i could put it on myself but they wont guarantee anything.
Wow even better, thanks for the advice
Old 03-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Pro

Glad I could help a fellow tsxer. Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Addict

Is this only true for the 04-06 models? My 08 definitely has some felt type finish on the inside weather stripping.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:50 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No felt+a spec of sand = FAIL . My previous '06 TSX and 07 TL didn't have any felt. I purchased the felt, install it meticulously(sanded the rubber piece, clean with alcohol blah blah blah), it still manage to get loose and glue/adhesive went all over my tint. Had to retint it. Maybe due to heat here in FL or whatever but I would use something more durable for the felt to stay put. Once the adhesive is on the tint, you cant clean it because you can use any cleaning agent on the tint which will ruin it.

Staple that sucka, nail, screw it on there...........................no please dont do that !
Old 03-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by S power
No felt+a spec of sand = FAIL . My previous '06 TSX and 07 TL didn't have any felt. I purchased the felt, install it meticulously(sanded the rubber piece, clean with alcohol blah blah blah), it still manage to get loose and glue/adhesive went all over my tint. Had to retint it. Maybe due to heat here in FL or whatever but I would use something more durable for the felt to stay put. Once the adhesive is on the tint, you cant clean it because you can use any cleaning agent on the tint which will ruin it.

Staple that sucka, nail, screw it on there...........................no please dont do that !
I'm thinking about superglue when I attch my felt. Any thoughts on a good adhesive to use?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
I'm thinking about superglue when I attch my felt. Any thoughts on a good adhesive to use?
Something that doesnt get soft in the heat. Super glue gets brittle and cracks apart. Maybe something like a 2 part glue/epoxy. I would test it on a small piece of rubber and see if it would stick.

But as far as my experience, adhesive is no good in hot humid condition. It gets soft and goooeey.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by S power
Something that doesnt get soft in the heat. Super glue gets brittle and cracks apart. Maybe something like a 2 part glue/epoxy. I would test it on a small piece of rubber and see if it would stick.

But as far as my experience, adhesive is no good in hot humid condition. It gets soft and goooeey.
maybe silicone sealant? That stuff is permanent in less the 30 minutes.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
When they did mine the moleskin the guy used was self adhesive. Just peel and stick! Had it for almost a year and its fine. And I use my windows every day I drive the car.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Addict

Anyone ever try this?

http:///acura/index.htm
Old 04-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by racecarbox616
Anyone ever try this?

I literally just looked at that so I have no idea
Old 05-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Cruisin'

I just got my 06 TSX tinted with Suntek carbon and got scratched as i rolled them up and down. I brought it back to the place and they re-tinted and added the "felt" (moleskin) and i'm still getting scratched. they are telling me its an acura issue ....Thoughts?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BLKTSX
I just got my 06 TSX tinted with Suntek carbon and got scratched as i rolled them up and down. I brought it back to the place and they re-tinted and added the "felt" (moleskin) and i'm still getting scratched. they are telling me its an acura issue ....Thoughts?
Someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't there two places that need the moleskin applied to? Like an upper and lower bar? I think that may be your problem right there
Old 05-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Cruisin'

I will be going back to the Tint shop in about an hour i'll let you know what they say.

Thanks for the response
Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Cruisin'

Yea... i am not to happy about it either ...So I brought my car back to the tint shop and they could not explain why I was getting the scratches. (it was happening on 4 of them). even after the moleskin was installed, they offered to remove the moleskin and redo that window (driver side) but i would assume that the scratches would return. and i would have to continue to deal with the scratches on all the other windows. I was so frustrated that this had been my 3rd trip back and nothing could be done. I ended up getting a refund and having them remove all the tints.

I miss the tint already... i will most likely be redoing somewhere else. Any suggestion on where to get it done in northern MASS?

Thanks !
Old 05-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BLKTSX
Yea... i am not to happy about it either ...So I brought my car back to the tint shop and they could not explain why I was getting the scratches. (it was happening on 4 of them). even after the moleskin was installed, they offered to remove the moleskin and redo that window (driver side) but i would assume that the scratches would return. and i would have to continue to deal with the scratches on all the other windows. I was so frustrated that this had been my 3rd trip back and nothing could be done. I ended up getting a refund and having them remove all the tints.

I miss the tint already... i will most likely be redoing somewhere else. Any suggestion on where to get it done in northern MASS?

Thanks !
That's unfortunate. I'm going back here in a bout a week, I'm going to rip off the doors here and take a look at mine, because acura replaced all weatherstrip because they were squeeking, here they made it worse and the weather stripping is actually not placed correctly. I'm going to take the inside of my door skin off and check out where I can put all this felt. I think that I might buy the stuff from tint protector and try it.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by racecarbox616
Anyone ever try this?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:12 AM
Advanced

I went back to the shop, they replaced the tint, not questions asked, took my doors apart and cleaned my weather stripping and sprayed them with a lubricant coating (i think that they mentioned using some kind of UV protectant) Haven't had a problem since!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Banned

IDOSEO,

Keep a CLOSE watch on the tint. Make sure you are not starting to get very fine vertical scratches. The protection. Probably 303 will wear off and the scratches will start.

Here is a picture of what they will look like after a while. Obviously by this time you will have to get new tint. Tint Scratches

Keep an eye out and when they start to scratch again get the Tint Protector kit. It's really the only thing that works for the long haul.