VTEC rattling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 04:48 AM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did we ever find out what causes this noise because I have recently experiened this noise again, and its been about a little less than a year now.
Could it be because of the colder weather?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does it in the summer, too. And even when it is cold outside, the engine is always at the same temp (after it's warm). So it's probably not the cold.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Burning Brakes

all these users on the board and no one knows anything/experienced this?
Old 10-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXforme
all these users on the board and no one knows anything/experienced this?
I honestly think it's normal. My best guess is that the VTEC solenoid valve might be making the noise. If you're really woried about it, you can ask your dealer to inspect your valve clearances and to check that all the bolts around the valve are torqued to spec.

I would be a little leary of telling my dealer that you are hearing noise at high RPM's because you just know they're going to take your car for a very thorough test drive.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Instructor

i've always had it, now car is at 40000 km. i had the dealer look at it around 20K, said it was normal. Not too worried about it.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Banned

OK...My last post was around 11/03 and now I am back after 1 yr....the sound still exist...but I only noticed it recently...It's been gone for some time but it's back!!!

WTF is this??? I am so pissed....I really wish I have never gotten this car seriously.

Anyone knows what this is??? WHat about the chain timing belt? I don't think Honda ever used a metal chain timing belt....I don't get it. That Timing belt I saw doesn't look like metal at all...so what's the deal about this metal belt?
Old 10-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Banned

my TSXPOS are over limit by now.......
Old 10-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by A-Q-R
OK...My last post was around 11/03 and now I am back after 1 yr....the sound still exist...but I only noticed it recently...It's been gone for some time but it's back!!!

WTF is this??? I am so pissed....I really wish I have never gotten this car seriously.

Anyone knows what this is??? WHat about the chain timing belt? I don't think Honda ever used a metal chain timing belt....I don't get it. That Timing belt I saw doesn't look like metal at all...so what's the deal about this metal belt?
Dude, you need to relax.
1) The noise is common. There's nothing wrong with your car.
2) It most definitely is a timing chaing, not a belt. This is a good thing because you don't need to replace it like you would with a belt.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Photography Nerd

my TSXPOS are over limit by now.......
:wtf:
Old 10-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Banned

This is only 1/10 of my problems....my car basically rattles 100% of the time with or without the radio turned on(all doors and dashboard). Creaking sound, warp rotors after 6 month....all sort of stupid small problems which makes me sick...because the dealer won't even botehr to loook at it......

Plus during my last service, for no apparent reason, the stupid dealer lowered the angle of my headlights and now I can't see shit that's over 20 ft!!!!! .....
Old 10-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Photography Nerd

This is only 1/10 of my problems....my car basically rattles 100% of the time with or without the radio turned on(all doors and dashboard). Creaking sound, warp rotors after 6 month....all sort of stupid small problems which makes me sick...because the dealer won't even botehr to loook at it......

Plus during my last service, for no apparent reason, the stupid dealer lowered the angle of my headlights and now I can't see shit that's over 20 ft!!!!! .....
-The dashboard rattle has an easy fix.
-The door rattle has a TSB for your dealer to fix.
-Window creaking can be fixed with some lube.
-Headlights can be adjusted with a philips screwdriver in about 3 minutes.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan Martin

WORD. Any instructions posted? Please advise..did a search none found. Thanks....
Old 10-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Help.

Any ideas? What in the engine bay on the pass side nearest to the cabin that could be rattling? Any ideas?
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...rattle+washers
read not your type's post
i dunno if it helps or not
Old 10-30-2004, 08:53 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Lube does not fix the windshield cracking. Only one person have success by the dealer replacing the entire windshield and moldings...

I wont go as far as saying the the TSX is a POS, but I am starting to feel a little cheated by the Acura nameplate. So far I have had all the rattles, plus the headlight condensation and I am thinking my rotors are messed up (not sure but during medium braking my foot rumbles).....
Old 10-31-2004, 12:14 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by wsklar
Lube does not fix the windshield cracking. Only one person have success by the dealer replacing the entire windshield and moldings...

I wont go as far as saying the the TSX is a POS, but I am starting to feel a little cheated by the Acura nameplate. So far I have had all the rattles, plus the headlight condensation and I am thinking my rotors are messed up (not sure but during medium braking my foot rumbles).....

Have you tried pushing on the black trim on under the wipers? I've read a couple posts where that was all that was needed to fix the problem.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:47 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Have you tried pushing on the black trim on under the wipers? I've read a couple posts where that was all that was needed to fix the problem.
Yes, so far tried that, tried the shim on the firewall in the trunk and dealer tried to fix by lubing the molding. I am going to have them replace the windshield.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Just dial 1911

With your attitude, I wouldnt be suprised if the dealer left a hot, steaming turd on your drivers seat.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by wsklar
(not sure but during medium braking my foot rumbles).....
How do you know thats not ABS kicking in? You feel warped rotors more in the motion of the car rather then the break pedal. You will feel the car "pulse" as the rotor passes throught the caliper at the warped section.

I had this on my truck before I got my TSX. Never felt anything in the pedal.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:02 AM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think I fixed my VTEC rattle. I notice my rattle goes away after an oil change and put it all together. While I was adding a little transmission fluid I checked the oil and noticed it was a tad bit below the fill line. I added about 1/2 a quart of oil and my rattle was disappeared. You may want to give it a try and see if it helps.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gsi00154
....I added about 1/2 a quart of oil and my rattle was disappeared...
What level is your oil at now?
Old 11-30-2004, 11:57 AM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

My oil level is right at the line. I would like to say that the vtec rattle comes from low oil, but others have said that they get the vtec rattle even after an oil change.

It appears that topping off has eliminated my rattle. I do tend to change my oil at 4,000 miles instead of 3,000 due to my commute (85 miles round trip). I currently have 35,000 miles on my car.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gsi00154
My oil level is right at the line.....
What line?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:09 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

The top line that is.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
All of you guys need to just chill out. Did you forget that you are driving a HONDA?!?! A little rattle is not going to screw up a Honda engine. I've seen ppl drive Hondas at redline with no oil before and they didn't break. Besides these are brand new Honda engines. The likelihood of any of us suffering major engine failure is remote at best. By the way, mine has 8k miles and purrs like a kitten........
Old 12-08-2004, 07:07 AM
Instructor

I have this noise too. Sound like a heat shield that is buzzing due to some sort of sympathetic resonance. It seems to lessen as the car warms up. It’s not that big of deal but I don’t know that it should be considered “normal.” I will have the dealer look at it next time (which would be the first time) I take it in
Old 12-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
All of you guys need to just chill out. Did you forget that you are driving a HONDA?!?! A little rattle is not going to screw up a Honda engine. I've seen ppl drive Hondas at redline with no oil before and they didn't break. Besides these are brand new Honda engines. The likelihood of any of us suffering major engine failure is remote at best. By the way, mine has 8k miles and purrs like a kitten........

sauceman, who needs to get a valvetrain adjustment, but that's another issue...
Old 12-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
....I've seen ppl drive Hondas at redline with no oil before and they didn't break....
Honda engines are great and all, but that's a little hard to believe....
Old 12-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Racer

Any new fix to this? I don't think it's the vtec rattle. The sound is definitely coming from the interior of the car. I'm thinking it's the vent fan.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:15 PM
9th Gear

Heater Core is another source of the "rattle"

Mine has a similar sound. I thought it kind of sounded like rushing water (or a can full of marbles rolling around). I reported the issue to the dealer a visit. Without telling them my opinion, they came back and said it is the water rushing through the heater core. It must start cavitating at higher flows (like when it's redlined). Any air trapped in it would aggrevate the problem too. I'm going to try taking it out on the interstate and running down a gear (maybe two) for a minute or two to see if I can purge any air out. Maybe it will be quieter?

Thoughts?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jjkmdaiker
Mine has a similar sound. I thought it kind of sounded like rushing water (or a can full of marbles rolling around). I reported the issue to the dealer a visit. Without telling them my opinion, they came back and said it is the water rushing through the heater core. It must start cavitating at higher flows (like when it's redlined). Any air trapped in it would aggrevate the problem too. I'm going to try taking it out on the interstate and running down a gear (maybe two) for a minute or two to see if I can purge any air out. Maybe it will be quieter?

Thoughts?

I think that's exactly it, jjkmdaiker. Just got mine back from the dealer and they told me the same thing. Theyalso told me how you can easily verify the problem. Just turn the climate control temperature all the way down to it's lowest setting which will shut off the valve that routes coolant throught the heater core and the sound will dissapear. I tried it about 5 times just to be sure, but it worked every time. I'm glad the dealer was able to diagnose the problem. Now I'm just hoping that Honda figures out the problem and offers a fix since the noise still bugs me. At least I know that it's not harming the engine though.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Racer

Never really noticed it w/o my CAI, but with it installed the noise gets amplified.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
This is an oldie, but I wanted to comment--My TSX occasionally makes the same "metallic" racket at higher RPM. Unlike previous suggestions, it is most definitely not a normal VTEC-ish sound. Do you know how fast those rockers are moving at 5000+ RPM? Certainly way too fast to produce a randomized metallic rattling noise like this. And if a noise of this character ever did come from the valvetrain, then the valvetrain must be shedding parts

My first hunch was that I was hearing spark-knock/pinging. However mild pinging is usually almost inaudible when an engine is at high RPM. I theorized it was coming from the cooling system as coolant rushed through the heater core and valve. Sure enough, with the climate control on "Lo", the noise goes away.

So if anyone hears this noise, try eliminating the heater core as the culprit first. It will definitely put your mind at ease.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Instructor

i have an intake and i hear like a chhhhhhh sound.. no metallic
Old 01-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

"VTEC Rattle"

Did anybody ever find the fix for the "VTEC Rattle" that accurs over 5500 rpm in some of our cars? I know somebody said that it's the cooling system cavitating but I don't buy that. If it was cavitating our water pumps would going out all the time. It does seem to stop when you turn the heat to low, could it be that the valve that controls fluid flow to the heater core is rattling? If somebody has a service manual and can post the pictures of the system up I'd appreciate it.

Also is there someplace we can complain to Acura? It seems to be a fairly common problem and it really is a huge downfall to the car. I would be embarassed to take it above 5,500 rpm with anybody riding in the car with me.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Mine doesn't do that, but to complain to Acura call this number: 1-800-382-2238 That's the corporate number.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Master in Science

Never heard of this before. Good luck with that!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
threads merged.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by clee109
Mine doesn't do that, but to complain to Acura call this number: 1-800-382-2238 That's the corporate number.
Thanks I'll give them a call tomorrow during lunch and see what they say.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gues2
Did anybody ever find the fix for the "VTEC Rattle" that accurs over 5500 rpm in some of our cars? I know somebody said that it's the cooling system cavitating but I don't buy that.
The heater core is a source for noise at high RPM. The noise you hear may simply not be related, and could be completely unlike what others have noticed.

Is it possible that your engine is pinging? Mine goes through phases where it pings quite a bit, though sometimes it is hard to discern at high RPM. The pinging does go away in short order because of the timing correction algorithm in the ECU. I realize some pinging is considered normal, but this stretches above and beyond that in my opinion. I attribute it to the low-evaporation crappy gasoline we have to use locally.

If not, I wonder if your timing chain is rattling for some reason. Can you hold the engine at 1500, 2000, 2500 RPM and listen for a point at which you can hear it rattle. If so, it could be making noise at 5000+ RPM. That would definitely be a problem IMO.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Cruisin'

No it is not possible my engine is pinging. I run premium gasoline and the ambient air temperture here is around 10 degrees. If these engines are really pinging then the honda engineers that designed them should be fired.

There is no rattle above below the 5,500 rpm point. I have the feeling that something in the heater system is loose and that tightens up when the heat is turned low or off. I do not think that fluid flow would make the noise that i'm hearing.

This is my first Acura/Import purchase and I am pretty dissapointed with there "amazing quality" so far.

Quick Reply: VTEC rattling.