vibration engaging first gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
vibration engaging first gear

Hi guys,

I've just installed a Quaife LSD into my gearbox on my Civic Type-R ( yes I have a Civic , too, besides the Euro Accord )
But as I know is the same 6 M/T gearbox like the TSX have, but different engine k20 not k24 ... so you guys I hope you might help me here.

Anyway , as I said , I have installed this and after install I've noticed something strange ( not sure if this issue was there before installing the diff , so I'm not sure if is related to the diff or the installation part or what ...)

50% of the time, when I engage the first gear I feel a small vibration in the transmission , I feel like the car wants to move forward just a little bit , something like the clutch was not fully pressed or something ...
You must really pay attention to feel this and it's not happening all the time .

Any idea what could cause this issue , could be something related to the install part or others ?
Have you ever heard/encountered such issue before
Old 11-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried bleeding your clutch fluid?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Hi aaronng,

Yes, this is the first thing the dealer did, when I went to them with this issue , they bleed the air of the clutch system, but the issue is still there , they don't know what the problem is so far.

Now that you have mentioned this, I remember they changed the fluid from the gearbox, they put brand new oil in, could the issue be related to this ?
Also, this issue seems to happen only after the engine is heated ... I might be wrong , but I do not remember to happen with cold engine ...
Old 11-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Driver/Detailer

Check where the rod goes into the firewall behind the clutch pedal. Is it wet? I doubt it is caused by gearbox fluid, because you say that the car feels like it wants to move forward. This points out to me that either your pressure plate is not releasing the clutch fully, the slave cylinder is not fully extending to push the release fork, master cylinder bypassing and leaking or clutch fluid still has an airbubble in it.

Is your clutch engagement point close to the floor? If it is, you can also try adjusting the push rod so that it goes deeper into the firewall.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Instructor

Also, I've notice this issue changing from 3th to 2th gear , at low speeds , but not all the time ( like with the first gear).

The moving forward vibration is very small, maybe it's just my perception that wants to move forward, I just feel a littel shock in the transmission.

So it seems to happen from 3rd to second gear at low speeds and on first gear (when engage from a complete stop) .
This happens like 50% of the time, so no all the time ...

Anyway I will talk to my dealer and tell them your suggestion .
Old 11-03-2008, 04:08 AM
Driver/Detailer

The shock feeling that you get from shifting from 3rd to 2nd is probably the synchros speeing up the inputshaft. Try shiting from 3rd to 2nd quicker, spending as little time as possible in neutral.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:16 AM
Instructor

I see thanks for the tip, so the 3rd to second might not be an issue .
Anyway the shock I feel (sometimes) from 3rd to second at low speeds ( you know when your revs are to low an you need to downshift to second) is similar with the one I feel (sometimes) engaging the first gear.

The dealer thought that might be the first gear synchro , but they don't know for sure , they are willing to try to change the first gear synchro but I just don't feel comfortable to open the gearbox , maybe the issue is not from there , or why I haven't notice this before changing the diff ...
They did bleed the fluid from the clutch and put it back again (this was the first thing they did) , but the issue is still there ...

Somebody sais that the issue might be cause by using the old bearings with the new diff , he said that I should change those , too ... I don't know , what do you think ?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Instructor

Update:

I have notice this, on second gear also.
It does the same thing when engaging from complete stop into 2 gear , I feel the same vibration (something like transmission was engaged and a little tiny movement like the car wants to move, when gear 1 or 2 is engaged , I guess will do the same thing engaging whatever gear , from a complete stop , from neutral position) ...

Second, I feel this randomly only after the engine is heated, did not notice this with a cold engine.

Third, someone told me today, he had the same thing in his brand new S2000 , he could feel the same thing from the first days of using it.

I'm thinking now , could be this a normal behavior of the LSD ?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Well the issue seems to be gone after changing the gearbox oil .

Just a summary :
- the issue appear after putting in the LSD and changing the oil during install
- the issue was noticed after the car was running for while (the issue was not encountered with the engine cold for instant)

So I decided to change the oil , I had Honda original gearbox oil and I've change it
with Motul Gearbox-FF Competition 75w-140 ( the only oil advertised on my market good for gearboxes with LSD, so I've decided to try it) ...
well the issue seems gone , never encountered ever since , tough not sure what the explanation is ...
Old 12-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Driver/Detailer

More friction in the gearbox from the 75w140 means that any little drive from whatever problem you had before is being eaten away by the drag.

I wouldn't use 75w140 in the K20a gearbox, especially if the spec is 75w80.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Instructor

Can you explain why not to use w140 ?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Driver/Detailer

Because it is too viscous. The original spec oil from Acura/Honda is 75w80. The gearbox is designed for that viscosity. You can get away with using 75w90, but 75w140 is just very very thick.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:31 AM
Instructor

I see , thanks aaronng !

So will I be ok using Motul Gear 300 75w90 ?
http://www.motul-oil.co.uk/motul%20d...178%20(GB).pdf
Old 08-09-2010, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Vibration when moving in 1st gear

I have a Honda Civic 1992 EG8 manual. Whenever the engine is heated, the whole car vibrates when moving in 1st gear from stationary. Do note this doesn't always happen. I had this issue for about an year and it finally got fixed when I changed the gear oil (MTF) .
Hope this helps.