TSX passenger side suspension noise part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
TSX passenger side suspension noise part 2

Hi All,

I've posted some video on this annoying noise coming from my car going over certain bumps. Some of you may have recalled a post of mine from over a year ago. I have around 76,500 miles on my 07 TSX and it started about a year and a half ago. I've had it looked by 2 dealerships (same dealership, different location) and I have a feeling that they don't want to be bothered by something that will eat up a lot of their time. I had something in the past on our 99 Accord where I took it to one dealer and a local shop, neither could find it. I finally found it one day and it was the upper control arm balljoint so when I think something it probably is. The noise just sounds different going over bumps compared to the drivers side. It sounds almost like it is resonating.

Here is a clip I recorded while trying to move it with a pry bar.

Also here is a test while trying to move the tie rod end

I also tried shaking the upper control arm and shock while it was on the ground today. Nothing is moving.

Here is the noise I am hearing. The louder noise is my keychain. The noise I am concerned about is around 8-10 seconds into the first video.

I've shaken down everything I can think of. The only thing I found is when the car is on but not started and I turn the steering wheel, I have a little play and then hear a click before the steering wheel moves. I will try to post a video on this as well.

I think I am getting ill now worrying about when this thing is going to break. I don't know what else try troubleshoot to figure this thing out. I found another local shop which specializes in Hondas and will give them a try. I just need to find a road which replicates the problem first. If they can't find it either I hate to say it but I think I'm throwing the towel in on this car. I loved this car otherwise and really don't want to part with it especially if it is something silly. If anyone can pinpoint this noise I would really appreciate it.

Nick
Old 03-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Pro

I was reviewing some of the older posts. I have a feeling it is what I thought of initially but then went on a wild goose chase. Some people had this same issue and started replacing parts such as the ball joints and lower control arms. The issue was still there until they replaced their bushings on the stabilizer bar. I am going to investigate this during the weekend and see what happens when I remove the stabilizer link end. I would hope it gets worse.

I need to make some sort of contraption by cutting either a socket in half or a wrench in order to get the one bolt loose. I really don't want to lower the subframe.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:24 PM
Pro

The one thing I've noticed is that going over speed bumps, I am unable to replicate the issue. It seems to be only happening going over bumps in the road. Does this localize the issue to specific parts?

I am going to take it to a local shop that specializes in Hondas and see if they can help figure this out. At least to me it seems like the noise is getting worse.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This is probably a stupid question - you said you checked the upper balljoint - you took load off the balljoint to do it right? You put a jack under the a-arm and loaded it up a couple of inches and then you shook the wheel? Or rotor... load has to be removed for you to diagnose that.

The upper will fail before the lower (normally). I replaced both my uppers on my 04.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tangoman
This is probably a stupid question - you said you checked the upper balljoint - you took load off the balljoint to do it right? You put a jack under the a-arm and loaded it up a couple of inches and then you shook the wheel? Or rotor... load has to be removed for you to diagnose that.

The upper will fail before the lower (normally). I replaced both my uppers on my 04.

I put a little bit of a load but using the jack stand that comes with the car and placing it at the bottom of the lower control arm. I just don't know how much I need to raise it without damaging something. Do you think perhaps it would be better to remove the bottom part of the shock absorber and test it out? I'm also not sure what you mean by rotor load.

Do you recall how many miles your car had when you replaced it? Mine only has just under 78,000 at the moment.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Pro

Sorry one thing I did not mention is I jacked the car up first with one jack and then used another on the lower control arm to check for play.

Last edited by npolite; 04-04-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Pro

I raised the lower control arm end to what I think is a normal level. I couldn't get the jack in with the tire on. I started shaking the knuckle as hard as I could but there was no movement. I also took the sides of the upper control arm and also there was no movement. The only noise I can hear is when I shake the axle. Here is a clip but you'll need to turn up your speakers a bit to hear it well.