Help me, please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Exclamation Help me, please!

What's up A-Zine...

I have an 04 TSX 5AT and I need to know what to do to fix a particular noise that I'm hearing....

When I switch between park, reverse and drive, I hear a crack come from the bottom of the car (maybe transmission mounts or engine mounts?). Also when I'm in drive, the moment I take off and the moment I come to a stop, I hear a slight crack come from the area of the shifter.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have it.

That slight "crack" is the shifter lockout solenoid opening and closing. To verify, put the car in park and step on and off the brake. Youll hear the same noise. its basically the little do-dad (technical term) that prevents you from shifting into drive (or into park) when you shouldnt.

Its annoying, but nothing is wrong with the car. Me...I got used to it.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:02 PM
'That's what she said!'

Originally Posted by RkFast
I have it.

That slight "crack" is the shifter lockout solenoid opening and closing. To verify, put the car in park and step on and off the brake. Youll hear the same noise. its basically the little do-dad (technical term) that prevents you from shifting into drive (or into park) when you shouldnt.

Its annoying, but nothing is wrong with the car. Me...I got used to it.
Yea I just realized that when I would step on the brake when I'm letting my car warm up, I would hear that noise. That's what that is... hmmm....

It's weird though, I've had the car for two years and it wasn't until recently that I began to hear that.... Oh well, now that I know it's not a problem, I'll get use to it right away.... Thanks...

But does anyone have an idea of my first issue? The cracking I hear from under the car when I switch between park, reverse, and drive?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Instructor

I beleive that second noise is just whatever play there is in the drivetrain being taken out when the motor adds its torque to the assembly.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:30 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Have someone go from park to drive to park to reverse and stand outside the car and listen carefully.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:15 PM
'That's what she said!'

Originally Posted by dallison
Have someone go from park to drive to park to reverse and stand outside the car and listen carefully.
I did this yesterday with a friend.... He stood outside the car and I started putting the transmission from park to drive, Park to reverse, drive to reverse, etc and he said each time I did, there was a cracking noise. I'm going to guess it's the motor mounts? Or maybe the transmission mounts?

I'm going to my mechanic some time next week (after finals are over ) to see what's producing that noise....

Thanks guys!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Im pretty positive thats normal. Ive had two TSXs and they both make that noise when shifting, especially when the shift involves the wheels changing direction.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:56 PM
'That's what she said!'

Im pretty positive thats normal. Ive had two TSXs and they both make that noise when shifting, especially when the shift involves the wheels changing direction.
Hopefully you're right.... I hate having my car in the mechanic lol....

But I think I might change my motor mounts anyways, I think they're starting to go bad. I was reading on a thread about a test to see if your motor mounts are going bad. When driving normally and you stop at a red light with the car in drive, does your steering wheel or shifter vibrate considerably, and then when you throw it on to neutral, does the vibration stop? And that's what I did and it just so happens that my car does that. When the car is on drive and I'm at a complete stop, the steering wheel and shifter have a rough vibration, then when I put it on neutral, it feels smooth.... I think it time for them to be changed...
Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Instructor

My advice is to take it to a dealer or other Honda/Acura expert to have these issues checked out. They seem very specific to the TSX and a general mechanic might not know if theres a problem or not. I see youre in brooklyn...dont go to Paragon....lol.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 PM
'That's what she said!'

My advice is to take it to a dealer or other Honda/Acura expert to have these issues checked out. They seem very specific to the TSX and a general mechanic might not know if theres a problem or not. I see youre in brooklyn...dont go to Paragon....lol.
Actually, I've had the same mechanic for long time and he pretty knowledgeable with Hondas/Acuras, I trust his judgement on these kind of things....

And I will never take my car to Paragon.... I have not heard many people talk good about them, that's why I've never been tempted to even take my car there for a simple oil change or something. LOL
Old 12-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car shakes also when at a stop, more so when their is electrical load present.

Acura told me that my mounts were fine. Warranty is out now, so still unsure what it is.

I dont however get a cracking noise like you,.when shifting from reverse to drive etc. I get a slight clicking noise which is normal.When I go from reverse into drive that is only.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Pop the hood, grab a friend, and have him shift w/ foot on brake. Shift from N to R, back to N, to D, etc...

You look at the engine and transmission assembly. Doe sit move "considerably"? Does the noise correspond to the exact time it reaches the end of its travel? If so, one or more of the mounts is bad. My bet would be on a front or rear mount, and almost 0% chance it's the side mount(s). Could also be the transmission mount itself, and in fact that's the first one I'd have a mechanic look at if you see/hear the noise I described as above.