Tsx a/c

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Tsx a/c

Recently i was driving back from school cold a/c blowing and then it randomly just stopped. As summer approaches in Florida, it is getting extremely hot and humid and it sucks without a/c. Any help? (fans still turn on and run when the unit is turned on, did a recharge but nothing happened.)
Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 AM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Sounds like a leak. The TSX cooling coil is too easy to hole with flying debris...and several connectors are succeptable to flying debris too...

If you needed the recharge, and it did nothing, you're losing refrigerant...DO NOT RUN YOUR A/C. If the refridgerant is missing, your compressor will overseat and freeze up/sieze eventually. This is not a DIY situation, as fixing a leak involves replacing components, evacuating the system, and recharging...sorry.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
I recently took my car in for the same problem. AC blows hard, just hot air.

Cale Yarborough Honda here in Florence SC ran diagnostic ($135) and came back with a laundry list of things wrong:

-cabin filter, air filter
-Wipers bad
-battery tested bad
-front/rear brakes
-New Serpentine belt needed
-Transmission flush needed
-Fuel system flush needed
-coolant system flush needed
-NEW AC Compressor clutch needed
-New Compressor needed
-New Drier needed
-Various other supporting parts for Drier/Clutch/Compressor
=Grand total of $2200

As you can imagine I started laughing hysterically.

I fixed everything except the serpentine belt and AC stuff so they gave me a 15% off (partially because I just spent $1k on my CRV there).

AC stuff alone was quoted at $1500 with Acura parts, aftermarket parts brought it down to $1100 (still covered under Honda/Acura warranty). If I bring in my parts I can knock it down some more but the service will only have a 30 day warranty as opposed to a year.

I recommend asking for aftermarket parts and just bite the bullet. I'm at 106k for mileage, 2004, Silver 5AT. I truly love the car...but if it continues to fall apart at the rate is has been, I'm just going to buy a Lotus Elise for my DD, only need two seats...me and the wife.

Good luck, it sure has been hot here in the Carolinas, 45 minute drive one way from work is rough with no AC, trust me, I'm doing it now and have been for the past 4 months.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honestly it's probably just freon, last year same happened to me. I went to autozone picked up some freon and filled the AC up again and it's still running strong. Check this out before even jumping to the conclusion that something is wrong. Bottle cost around 40 or so.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Just freon means "leak"...just saying...
Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can top this...

I just came from the dealer who told me my AC compressor froze up, burst into thousands of shards which went throughout the system. The quote for the entire system replacement was an OUTLANDISH $3500! It was beyond insulting.

They told me they could replace the compressor only, with a refurb for $1600... but with no warranty since the residual shards could break the new compressor at any time.

For anyone that knows the details on this issue, please share your thoughts. They told me that the filter was gray with shards, not black. So the hope is that a new compressor wont be destroyed.

I told them both prices were unacceptable. At this point, unless I find a third party option, I'm selling it and wont buy another Acura again. $3500! What a joke!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by silverboard
I can top this...

I just came from the dealer who told me my AC compressor froze up, burst into thousands of shards which went throughout the system. The quote for the entire system replacement was an OUTLANDISH $3500! It was beyond insulting.

They told me they could replace the compressor only, with a refurb for $1600... but with no warranty since the residual shards could break the new compressor at any time.

For anyone that knows the details on this issue, please share your thoughts. They told me that the filter was gray with shards, not black. So the hope is that a new compressor wont be destroyed.

I told them both prices were unacceptable. At this point, unless I find a third party option, I'm selling it and wont buy another Acura again. $3500! What a joke!
$3500 is a lot. When mine busted years ago, dealer did it for $1800. After a letter to Acura Client Services, I got a refund for parts, NOT labor. Better then nothing.