Newbie Help Needed - Sluggish acceleration but not the APP Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Help Needed - Sluggish acceleration but not the APP Sensor

Hi everyone. I'm completely new to the forum, so apologies in advance if I ask stupid questions. I made a real effort to figure this out by searching all around, but I'm out of ideas at the moment so I thought I'd ask for help.

Symptoms:
A couple of weeks ago, my 2006 TSX (auto trans) with 57K miles suddenly started having poor acceleration at low rpm. Below 2800rpm or so it really struggles to accelerate. The hotter it is, the more it struggles. Under load it makes a noise almost like it's knocking. Above 2800rpm or so, it runs fine. It is not throwing any warning lights and my code reader says there are no codes. But it consistently does this and is clearly running poorly.

What I've tried:
1) All the searching I did sounded like the problem would be the APP sensor. I ordered the OEM part and installed it fairly easily. But ARGH! The car behaved identically with the new part. So I've since removed the new one and installed the old one with the hope I can return the one I ordered.
2) I checked my spark plugs and they looked fine to me, but I replaced them with OEM plugs since I was already in there. This also hasn't resulted in any improvement.
3) I visually checked for any obvious vacuum leaks or hoses not connected. I also checked the big intake hose to the throttle body and it looks fine to me. No obvious issues, but I'm not equipped or skilled enough to really check for vacuum leaks.

Any ideas on what to check next? My skills are pretty limited. I have no idea what could be causing it to run so badly yet not throw a code. Is there a way to check / rule out the TPS sensor?

Thanks for any assistance you might have.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
A partially blocked catalytic converter can cause poor acceleration, but should also set a code (P0420 usually). Vacuum level test will show normal vacuum and drop to near zero as accelerator is opened. See youtube for videos on testing.

Low fuel pressure might also cause your symptoms and not set a code. Only way to know is measure fuel pressure. Special fittings are necessary and shop help likely req'd.

good luck
Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
This is going to sound ridiculous, but did you check the oil level? Anytime mine is low on oil (no indicator light, mind you), it's noticeably sluggish.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:57 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently had the ignition coil # 2 failure and it sound exactly like what you're describing, except my CEL was blinking and I didn't try pushing past 3k rpm. I stopped and used a scan tool to find that cylinder 2 is misfiring. Without a code, it's tough to find the issue. Good luck there.