temperature gauge creeping up

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:32 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
temperature gauge creeping up

my temperature gauge is usually about a third of the way up from the bottom (cool). I noticed when i'm stopped and idling for a few minutes, the needle goes up to half-way, sometimes higher. It has never overheated however (no boiling over, warning lights, hasn't gone all the way up to H)

anyone else experience this?

btw, i can sometimes hear coolant sloshing for a quick second when i start up my car. it sounds a lot like when i had air trapped in the cooling system of my mustang. possible culprit?
Old 04-16-2008, 03:34 AM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what year is the car?

how many miles on it?
Old 04-16-2008, 03:58 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by mxmattd
my temperature gauge is usually about a third of the way up from the bottom (cool). I noticed when i'm stopped and idling for a few minutes, the needle goes up to half-way, sometimes higher. It has never overheated however (no boiling over, warning lights, hasn't gone all the way up to H)

btw, i can sometimes hear coolant sloshing for a quick second when i start up my car. it sounds a lot like when i had air trapped in the cooling system of my mustang. possible culprit?
I've read here of guys reporting that sound, but I don't recall ever reading an explanation. Even though the system is under pressure (when warm), I should think any air could escape through the overflow reservoir (which isn't) on its' own. I'm having trouble getting my head around an air blockage in a cooling system, but I'm no expert and I guess it can happen. Assuming you've checked the coolant and it isn't low, I'd suspect perhaps a matériel blockage in the system, thermostat, or the sending unit is bad (unlikely). I do agree there's something going on though, the gauge of my 05 (and the 07 for that matter) quickly rises to the normal level you've indicated and stays there come hell or high water.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Sounds like you have air in your system. You should not be hearing any sloshing.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I do agree there's something going on though, the gauge of my 05 (and the 07 for that matter) quickly rises to the normal level you've indicated and stays there come hell or high water.
thanks that's what i wanted to hear.

it's an 04 6 speed, just rolled over 90,000 miles

i'll have to try to get to the bottom of it.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've read here of guys reporting that sound, but I don't recall ever reading an explanation. Even though the system is under pressure (when warm), I should think any air could escape through the overflow reservoir (which isn't) on its' own. I'm having trouble getting my head around an air blockage in a cooling system, but I'm no expert and I guess it can happen. Assuming you've checked the coolant and it isn't low, I'd suspect perhaps a matériel blockage in the system, thermostat, or the sending unit is bad (unlikely). I do agree there's something going on though, the gauge of my 05 (and the 07 for that matter) quickly rises to the normal level you've indicated and stays there come hell or high water.
Think of the trap under your sink. Now think of it upside down with air replaced by coolant and the water with air. The bubble slows or prevents the flow of fluid through the trap.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Think of the trap under your sink. Now think of it upside down with air replaced by coolant and the water with air. The bubble slows or prevents the flow of fluid through the trap.
this was a major problem on my mustang, made driving anywhere during the summer very nerve racking.

what do you think to force the air out? park uphill, heater on, revving the engine a bit while adding coolant directly to radiator?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
this was a major problem on my mustang, made driving anywhere during the summer very nerve racking.

what do you think to force the air out? park uphill, heater on, revving the engine a bit while adding coolant directly to radiator?
In the owners manual, there's instructions on how to drain and replace with new coolant. Also, there's a procedure outline on here; just gotta run a search for it.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Yep, should have searched. Got lazy this time

I want to post more on here and get involved, but it seems like all of my questions have already been asked and answered!

Anyway, here's the coolant drain and fill procedure from another thread if anyone is curious.

Originally Posted by moda_way
1. Warm up engine.
2. Turn off.
3. Remove lower plastic tray
4. Remove drain plug from bottom of radiator
5. Drain as well as reservoir
6. Replace plug
7. Open Radiator cap
8. Fill with Honda Type 2 Coolant
9. Loosely put cap on
10. Run through heat cycles
11. Fill missing fluid from radiator
12. Cap.
13. Fill reservoir
14. Check in a few weeks
Hopefully doing this will solve my issue.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Drifting

I want to post more on here and get involved, but it seems like all of my questions have already been asked and answered!
I'm often amazed at how many motor heads we have on our forum. More often than not the information on here is more trust worthy than what the dealer says.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Racer

what does "10. Run through heat cycles" mean?
Old 04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by euroStyle
what does "10. Run through heat cycles" mean?
Warm car up to operating temp.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Advanced

how many cycles would be sufficient?
Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PACman
I'm often amazed at how many motor heads we have on our forum. More often than not the information on here is more trust worthy than what the dealer says.
Absolutely agree. I've never been able to trust the dealers, always feel like I'm getting a load of bs. The fact is, other consumers have no financial incentive to rip me off, and like you said there are a lot of dedicated people here who really know what their talking about.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Drifting

how many cycles would be sufficient?
You can't go wrong from repeating the cycles; adding coolant as needed until you no longer see air.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 PM
still plays with cars

Both fans should run with the A/C on which should keep the temps under the half-way point. If this checks out, look for trash in the radiator - you should be able to see through it. Next, it's possible the thermostat is not opening fully which is a rare failure mode but I have seen it happen. Tell us what you find.

BTW, my 06 has never gone over about 40% above cold in 24k miles. Cool runner.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by nbtx
Both fans should run with the A/C on which should keep the temps under the half-way point.

BTW, my 06 has never gone over about 40% above cold in 24k miles. Cool runner.
This is a good point, and mentioned first here. Make sure the fans are operating when called for. Some cars you can hear them cycle on and off, but I don't think you hear them in the TSX (I don't anyway).
Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Advanced

I'll definately check on the fans when I get a chance. Most of the time when this has happened, however, the A/C is not even turned on. It's happened once or twice in VERY heavy traffic (405 in Sepulveda pass at 5 p.m. on a Friday before a three day weekend= nightmare) and a few times when I'm just idling for a few minutes, waiting for a friend or something.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 AM
still plays with cars

Completely normal then. If the A/C isn't on, the fans don't run until the coolant gets up to a programmed temperature (like 225 degrees F). FWIW, I've tried to get mine to do that by parking next to the garage and let it run in the hot TX sunshine and the gauge didn't budge. It looks like the cooling system in these cars has a lot more margin than my 91 Corvette.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1. Warm up engine.
2. Turn off.
6. Replace plug
7. Open Radiator cap
9. Loosely put cap on
12. Cap.
13. Fill reservoir
14. Check in a few weeks

I hope you have some common sense not to follow steps 1 and 2. You want to make sure your radiator is cold before attempting to pull the radiator cap off.

If you haven't replaced the coolant since you purchased the car I would recommend that you drain and fill it. After you fill it up leave the cap off and start the engine. Turn on the heat full blast and let the car warm up. Keep adding antifreeze until the car warms up and then cap the radiator. Check the reserve level in 2-3 days and add some more.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:03 AM
still plays with cars

This is a good point, and mentioned first here. Make sure the fans are operating when called for. Some cars you can hear them cycle on and off, but I don't think you hear them in the TSX (I don't anyway).
They're very quiet - You can hear them inside the cabin if you know what to listen for
but they can be easily heard if you are outside near the hood area.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:07 AM
still plays with cars

Originally Posted by npolite
1. Warm up engine.
2. Turn off.
6. Replace plug
7. Open Radiator cap
9. Loosely put cap on
12. Cap.
13. Fill reservoir
14. Check in a few weeks

I hope you have some common sense not to follow steps 1 and 2. You want to make sure your radiator is cold before attempting to pull the radiator cap off.
Look again, the cap isn't removed (step 7) until the radiator has been drained (step 4).
Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ If you don't warm the engine up enough for the thermostat to open, a large portion of the old fluid and any air trapped in there with it will not be replaced.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Advanced

^^^ If you don't warm the engine up enough for the thermostat to open, a large portion of the old fluid and any air trapped in there with it will not be replaced.
Aha, I think this explains why I could never fully get the air out of my mustang. Thanks for all the useful info guys
Old 04-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The system's under pressure if it is warmed up. If you drain it while it is hot not to mention that the water scalding you will do all over the place. The thermostat is located on the upper hose. The lower hose should get most of the water that is trapped in the engine out.