Tein Basics problem (PLEASE HELP!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:39 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tein Basics problem (PLEASE HELP!)

Dear Members,

I recently purchased TEIN basic damper coilovers, I switched from Eibach Sportline springs and stock TSX shocks which I had on for the past 3 years. The stock shocks actually lasted for 2 years but now the ride is so harsh it’s unbearable, although on smooth roads the ride is perfect with minimal body roll. So I finally decided to get TEIN basic coilovers after doing much research, after getting them installed in Philadelphia at PhillyDynoworks (www.phillydynoworks.com) I noticed the car ride was so harsh and rough. The ride was even rougher than with the stock shocks which were blown. Also the front of the car is so bouncy after driving the car and getting out and walking around I still feel like I am bouncing. Kinda like when you jump on a trampoline for awhile then try to walk around. Further more, when I go over a bump the coilovers make such a loud sound kind of like a hammer slamming down on something people on the street look at my car like what the hell was that sound. To make matters worse, the dealer who sold me the TEIN basic coilovers Raceoptions (www.2nrparts.com) will not return or even exchange the coilovers. After explaining the situation to them that the coilovers are defective and were properly installed but still not functioning properly they simply stated that once used they would not take them back or even exchange them. My car is so bad I can’t even drive it’s been sitting in my garage for the past 2 days since I got the basics put on. I am going back to the shop tomorrow and I am having them removed and having the stock blown shocks put back on because then I could actually drive the car. I have spoken to TEIN and they said my only option is send them the coilovers and they will let me know if they are defective. But tell you the truth I don’t even want these things anymore I am willing to get the super streets if the damn shop would just exchange them for me. The dealer who I got them from Raceoptions said I could try selling them on ebay. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,
PuffinHershey
Old 06-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
sorry to hear about your issues, however my tein basic setup is more more comfortable than when i had tein s tech springs on stock shocks. good luck
Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The problem could be from poor installation and not the product itself.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you should have taken it back to the shop that installed them and got them to take a look; it sounds like you rode around with this condition for more that 2-3 days?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Racer

Yeah, sounds like an install problem. Did they even test drive it before handing you the keys?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 PM
8th Gear

Here's the deal with the shop, first they installed it wrong not using the stock part that your supposed to making the ride super bouncy. I took it back and they fixed it using the stock collar, but now its super harsh and still a little bouncy. Im going back to the shop to have them removed. Maybe I will try a different place.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM
8th Gear

They did do a test drive, but not the first time. After I took it back and they "fixed" the problem then they test drove it. They said it rode good but harsh. Then I asked them to drop it to the level it was when I had the Sprotline Springs. Then they didn't test drive it after that, I picked it up and thats when I realized how bad it was with the harshness and little bit bounciness. I got the setup installed on saturday and then didn't drive it at all because it was soo bouncy. Then took it too them tuesday, they "fixed" the bounciness and now its so rough. I haven't driven the car more than 3miles total since saturday when I got it put on. So def not 2 - 3 days worth of driving.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to let you know, the Basic and the SS have the same spring rates. I'm not sure how much of a difference the SS with adjustable dampening is, but hopefully it will be enough to make the ride a lot less harsh for you. Maybe some Tein SS owners can chime in.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by godfather2
sorry to hear about your issues, however my tein basic setup is more more comfortable than when i had tein s tech springs on stock shocks. good luck
Were your stock TSX shocks blown when you switched to coilovers, and what ride height is your car at now?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
How much did you lower? If you lowered too much, the suspension is essentially riding on the bump stops. Jack up the car and see if the spring moves freely on the spring perch. If so, you have lowered too much and it will make noises as you go over bumps or rough pavement.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm not sure what your schedule is this weekend or exactly where your located but i could give you a hand and check it out for you. I installed and uninstalled the Tein Basics on my old 04 and i live in the Philly area. I work in Philly, so right now i'm at 6th and Walnut and i live by the Oxford Valley Mall in the NE. PM me if you want to try and set something up and i may be able to help you.

I would def get the installer to check it over though since they should be doing that for free right now reguardless!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ yeah definitely sounds like an install issue... best double check that before you go anywhere else... as it was stated above the SS and Basics share spring rates, i don't think the adjustable dampening will make up for your harshness...

i have the basics and they are slightly stiffer than stock, but only slightly...
Old 06-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cibs
^^ yeah definitely sounds like an install issue... best double check that before you go anywhere else... as it was stated above the SS and Basics share spring rates, i don't think the adjustable dampening will make up for your harshness...

i have the basics and they are slightly stiffer than stock, but only slightly...
The harshness is in the eye of the beholder and in all honesty, it depends on what the road conditions are like in your area. I had the Tien Basics on my car with stock size wheels and tires and it seemed pretty darn stiff and i live in this guys area. When i would drive my car into the city it can get pretty rough due to awesome Philly and PA roads sometimes. I put the aspec suspension on my new 06 with 18's and 225/40 tires and it is actually pretty rough sometimes too because of the roads
Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'd say 99.9% of the problems ppl experience with the Basics or SS have been install related. Might want to get Jwood to help you out because if the installer didn't get it right the first time or second time, something tells me they won't get it right the third time either.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:39 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I have the TEIN Basics for 3 months, found it too harsh and bouncy, and never thought it was a installation problem. Then I sold it and went for the BuddyClub Racing Spec Damper, can't be happier after that. Car feels so solid, with properly tune it takes corner like crazy, and not too harsh/bouncy too.

I think the thread starter should go for damper adjustable coilover for your own needs. I think everyone need that actually.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
I'm not sure what your schedule is this weekend or exactly where your located but i could give you a hand and check it out for you. I installed and uninstalled the Tein Basics on my old 04 and i live in the Philly area. I work in Philly, so right now i'm at 6th and Walnut and i live by the Oxford Valley Mall in the NE. PM me if you want to try and set something up and i may be able to help you.

I would def get the installer to check it over though since they should be doing that for free right now reguardless!!!
way to come to the rescue ... people like you are why i LOVE this board so much
Old 06-14-2007, 11:10 AM
8th Gear

I would love your help, im at 18th and Fairmount if you know where that is? Today Im busy all day but tomorrow anytime is good for me. For some reason I can't PM you it says i don't have permission to do that. But I hope you read this in time. The car is actually at the shop today they said they can't get to it until 3pm. So i told them if you can't fix the problem just take them off. Send me a PM and i'll hit you with my cell number and maybe we can work something out.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:42 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Did you happen to buy a set on ebay becasue i know some people running on fakes or copies and it ended up bad news.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Drifting

The harshness is in the eye of the beholder and in all honesty, it depends on what the road conditions are like in your area. I had the Tien Basics on my car with stock size wheels and tires and it seemed pretty darn stiff and i live in this guys area. When i would drive my car into the city it can get pretty rough due to awesome Philly and PA roads sometimes. I put the aspec suspension on my new 06 with 18's and 225/40 tires and it is actually pretty rough sometimes too because of the roads
Yeah roads have a big thing to do with it, but around here downtown roads are harsh and bouncy no matter what kind of suspension you have...

maybe i'm just used to it, my last car (civic si) had full race coils and they were the stiffest thing ever, not bouncy but stiff as hell, i loved the look of the car as it followed the bumps of the road and how it handled in turns but definitely got tired of the stiffness... now it's all gravy i don't even notice I have aftermarket suspension cuz it's so soft (again all in the eye of the beholder) ...

If it's your first set of aftermarket suspension I can see how you might think it's horrible but if you've ridden on a few different set ups the TEINs are hardly the stiffest ones around... and in terms of bouncy-ness it's not that bad either...

If fixing the install doesn't work then sell 'em on ebay and use that money to offset the purchase of new suspension... you'll take a hit on the price you paid vs what you'll sell it for but there's nothing you can do about that...
Old 06-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PuffinP
I would love your help, im at 18th and Fairmount if you know where that is? Today Im busy all day but tomorrow anytime is good for me. For some reason I can't PM you it says i don't have permission to do that. But I hope you read this in time. The car is actually at the shop today they said they can't get to it until 3pm. So i told them if you can't fix the problem just take them off. Send me a PM and i'll hit you with my cell number and maybe we can work something out.
You have to have a certain amount of posts (i think its 5) before you have access to PM'ing so if you want just email me @ jwood@drexel.edu and we can talk via that and figure things out then!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cibs
Yeah roads have a big thing to do with it, but around here downtown roads are harsh and bouncy no matter what kind of suspension you have...

maybe i'm just used to it, my last car (civic si) had full race coils and they were the stiffest thing ever, not bouncy but stiff as hell, i loved the look of the car as it followed the bumps of the road and how it handled in turns but definitely got tired of the stiffness... now it's all gravy i don't even notice I have aftermarket suspension cuz it's so soft (again all in the eye of the beholder) ...

If it's your first set of aftermarket suspension I can see how you might think it's horrible but if you've ridden on a few different set ups the TEINs are hardly the stiffest ones around... and in terms of bouncy-ness it's not that bad either...

If fixing the install doesn't work then sell 'em on ebay and use that money to offset the purchase of new suspension... you'll take a hit on the price you paid vs what you'll sell it for but there's nothing you can do about that...
Yea i can see that. I didn't think it was BAD, just a little stiff for my liking for my everyday driver. I also have to go over railroad tracks everyday for my commute to the train station so that sure didn't help. My buddy has the Tein Flex on his civic and yea that is STIFF and HARSH in my opinion!! If you look at the numbers the Basics and SS's are 100% stiffer than stock and i think the Flex is like 300% which you could def tell!

Next time when i have the money, i will buy a crap car for commuting so i can mod another (my TSX).....but i need more $$....lol
Old 06-14-2007, 07:15 PM
8th Gear

Teins Basics Are Awsome!

Hey everybody,

Thanks for all the replies, guess what it was an installation problem! Looks like the third times a charm. I picked it up from the shop a third time and they actually fixed the problem. Supposedly there was a problem with a donut washer they had to use the washer the coilovers it came with and make it smaller. Whatever they did the car rides soo smooth it awsome i whipped it around a little and body roll was minimal and it rode over bumps like they didn't even exist. Im so happy now! Again thanks for all the help everyone!

Thanks,
PuffinHershey
Old 06-14-2007, 07:23 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^^ Yeah, I knew Tein Basics were bit stiffer but not "BOUNCY"

I have TEIN Basics and I like it. and it reduced the wheel gap like a charm.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Racer

Great news!! Good to hear it.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe we should change the thread title to something like "problem with tein basics"

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Yeah, it had to have been an installation problem if you had real tein basics...because no one else has ever had any problems like that with their set
Old 06-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Just dial 1911

I dont know how a shop like that can stay in business. Friggin morons...

Glad I live near Mr. Heeltoe...