steering wheel groan

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had similar problem with an 07 TSX w/ 6spd MT. Problem seems to be occur more when weather is colder (N. Carolina) starting in 1st gear with steering wheel turned. Always intermittent. Squeal/goan noise. Lasts anywhere from 1 sec to 4 or 5 seconds. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow for the second time. They could not duplicate the problem the first time I had it in (1 month ago). I believe it is in the clutch somewhere. The car only as 33k miles. Bought it with 28k. No power steeering fluid leaking anywhere. Let me know how the clutch disc repair works out.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My clutch definitely had some defect. The car drives (or rather shifts) so much easier now and the clutch feels totally different. Since Acura wouldn't cover the pressure plate and throwout bearing, I paid for those parts myself. I'm not really happy about it either, but it made zero sense to leave those parts in while everything was opened up. I plan to have a mechanic friend take a look at the old parts, and I might be contacting my regional Acura office over this issue.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
for EVER more!

did this fix it, STL?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm having the same problem with mine now. Dropped it at the dealer for 3 days. They claim they can't hear the noise, even rode with the service manager. He knew what I was talking about. He said the steering rack has to be replaced to solve it. He could not hear the noise though nor did the tech so they did nothing about it. I am not too worried about it right now but if it becomes a constant occurance then at least it is documented that I tried to get it fixed early on.

When I picked it up I heard it immediately pulling out of the dealer lot. -_-.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I had this problem and recently (last week) the dealer replaced the steering rack - no more noise. I would always notice when starting froma dead stop while turning the wheel. I actually took car in for the AC whoop noise and the tech heard this steering noise too.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbototo
The dealer replaced steering rack under warranty, They also did wheel alignment for free, which must be done after installing steering rack. Problem solved.
I just got word that the groan diagnosis also requires a new steering rack.

I'll make sure they perform an alignment.

Car is under full warranty.

'07 AT TSX
Old 08-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dekspringer
I have had similar problem with an 07 TSX w/ 6spd MT. Problem seems to be occur more when weather is colder (N. Carolina) starting in 1st gear with steering wheel turned. Always intermittent. Squeal/goan noise. Lasts anywhere from 1 sec to 4 or 5 seconds. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow for the second time. They could not duplicate the problem the first time I had it in (1 month ago). I believe it is in the clutch somewhere. The car only as 33k miles. Bought it with 28k. No power steeering fluid leaking anywhere. Let me know how the clutch disc repair works out.
Leith Acura in Cary just replaced my steering rack ('07 with 40k miles) after the groaning noise. I peeked at their cost ($1200). I think double that if it wasn't warranty work.

The service guys seem to indicate that is was a rare repair on the TSX.

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quick question for you guys who had this issue.. what pitch is the "groan"? is it a low/med/high pitch?

Because i've gotten what I think is a similar noise (only when after first starting her after being parked for a while ~several hours) it's only happened a few times. Haven't been able to replicate it consistently.

the noise i hear is a med/high pitched "groan"

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:43 PM
for EVER more!

Originally Posted by Fox137
Quick question for you guys who had this issue.. what pitch is the "groan"? is it a low/med/high pitch?

Because i've gotten what I think is a similar noise (only when after first starting her after being parked for a while ~several hours) it's only happened a few times. Haven't been able to replicate it consistently.

the noise i hear is a med/high pitched "groan"

Thanks!
Yup thats it. I am out of warranty (69k mi) when i heard about the steering recall i was so excited, but i don't think its related to this issue. I've been complaining about the steering groan since i was still under warranty but the techs can never replicate it, either...

Will let you know after i have the recall service done.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
My PS recall didn't do anything for the steering squeal/groan, it's just a PS pressure hose. My squeak is from the grommet, suspect that's a passthrough that the steering column goes through on the firewall...?

Readers should NOT confuse this sound for a "groaning" sound that power steering systems make when they're low on fluid or have another steering system malfunction.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I have something similar- at low speeds (in a parking garage, for example) and when turning, I hear a slight groaning sound/squeaking sound (like a coil spring releasing). Once I exit said parking garage and get up to speed (20-30 mph) the noise is gone. Occasionally when turning at a stop sign immediately exiting the parking garage I'll hear it too, but I mainly hear it only at low speeds (below 5mph)

I saw a TSB about the steering column; does this mean that the whole rack has to be replaced?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jchan2
... I saw a TSB about the steering column; does this mean that the whole rack has to be replaced?
I'm a little surprised that no one updated this thread with TSB 10-025 for steering wheel noise.

It's listed on the forum FAQ page.

Question: HAS ANYONE GOTTEN THIS TSB PERFORMED?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:57 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
I'm a little surprised that no one updated this thread with TSB 10-025 for steering wheel noise.

It's listed on the forum FAQ page.

Question: HAS ANYONE GOTTEN THIS TSB PERFORMED?
me! i got the tsb and power steering hose recall done at the same time, about 10k miles ago. so far the noise is gone. hopefully for good.

supposedly, they don't replace the power steering rack any more (its too expensive). they rebuild it with new rubber grommets and such. mine was one of the first to be done and the techs took a while; my car was out for 1.5 days... thankfully i had a loaner so i wasn't stuck...
Old 06-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Did anyone else have TSB successfully fix the problem?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
me! i got the tsb and power steering hose recall done at the same time, about 10k miles ago. so far the noise is gone. hopefully for good.

supposedly, they don't replace the power steering rack any more (its too expensive). they rebuild it with new rubber grommets and such. mine was one of the first to be done and the techs took a while; my car was out for 1.5 days... thankfully i had a loaner so i wasn't stuck...

This is BS. If an owner brought in a vehicle with these symptoms, out of warranty, they (the service dept) would not offer to rebuild but replace the rack completely. How many times do we hear "...we don't rebuild, only replace"?