steering wheel groan

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:43 PM
for EVER more!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering wheel groan

hi everyone

i have a 2006 6MT TSX with 41.5 k
with warranty about to expire, i want to get everything fixed.

at low speed (< 10 mph) I notice a groan when i turn the wheel from extreme left or extreme right back to center - i'm doing this when parking/maneuvering in driveways, etc.

I want to know if this is normal.

it lasts 2-4 secs and you'll miss it if the radio or air is on- its not loud.
I have full fluids - i checked everything.

Is this simply the hydraulics /power steering muscling the wheels and stressing the system?? Would a dealer even pay attention to this?

Please let me know I'm going in for a rotation and oil change in 1.5 k and want to know what i should be asking for...
Old 11-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
NEVER do this with your wheels stopped.

That said, is this happening while you're rolling forward or back?
Old 11-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
^ I agree.

It's a good idea that when you're cranking the wheel and you hit the "stop" point to not hold it at that point. When you've reached the stop point, turn the wheel back the other way just enough so that you're not holding the power steering system at that "extreme" position and against the "stop".

Holding the wheel in a hard left/right turn situation where you're up against the steering system's "stop" point puts a lot of stress on the power steering pump and other components.

I hope I make sense!

Last edited by thunder04; 11-17-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:39 AM
for EVER more!

I never hold it at the extreme left or right. I've heard that noise once or twice and never do that. i also dont ever try to turn the wheels while stopped, this is only at low speed - and maybe because i cant hear it at higher speeds or im not turning the wheel enough? i dont know.

It happens when rolling forward only.

Like coming out of a tight parking spot, back out, wheel turned 80% left, then slowly pulling away and bring wheel to center i hear groan as i'm rolling forward. Hasn't happened in a week, and now im starting to think im crazy, but a passenger or 2 have heard it as well coming up to a stop sign that i had to turn to get to(in a parking lot).

I immediately assumed it was power steering fluid, but i'm full there, in between the lines...

Thanks for any help / ideas you can continue to send...
Old 11-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a similar noise on my 06 as well. Although mine sounds like its coming from the steering column area in the cab. Took it to the dealer and they didnt notice it. Intermittent problems never seem to show up when the car goes to the doctor.

Luther
Old 11-18-2008, 02:42 PM

I had a really light squeak when I turned my wheel in teh morning, pulling out of my driveway. A mod suggested it's something in the wheel assembly ... but think I was turning my wheel at a standstill without realizing it. Haven't heard it for a while.

Yours is intriguing. PittIsIt. Definitely take it in for service, now that 2-3 others have heard it.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:05 AM
for EVER more!

Thank you sirs.
I will mention it, but even i haven't heard it in the last few weeks, now that its gotten cold(ish) down here in FL.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

PittIsIt, I am having the exact same problem with my O5 MT. I haven't been to the dealer to have it check out yet. Did you (or anyone else) ever find a solution to this issue?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:19 PM
3rd Gear

I have had the same issue with my 04 TSX (AT). Mine sounds like a slipping power steering belt (although that was apparently not the issue). The noise tends to be more prominent when the car is warm, and occurs most often when backing out of my garage or a parking space.

I have brought this noise to the attention of my dealer NUMEROUS times, but they always claim that they are not able to hear the noise, and that they don't know what could be causing it. Only after numerous rounds of complaints did they agree to try to dig deeper into this problem. They initially replaced the power steering pulley, but it had no impact on the squealing. A few visits later they agreed to replace the serpintine belt, which did lessen the squealing a little - but most certainly did not solve the problem. As a result, this issue remains unresolved.

My car is actually in the shop for service right now, and once again the dealer claims (a) to not hear any noise at all while steering, and (b) that the noise must be a normal noise that the car makes. Of course, this doesn't explain why the car never made any noise when it was still new.

Other TSX owners I have talked to have experienced this problem as well (my sister in law has an 05 TSX and has suffered with this squealing on her car too). With many of us dealing with this issue, I think it is fair to say that there really is an issue here that needs to be resolved.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:10 AM
for EVER more!

My dealer also said no problems - normal - i have not heard anything lately myself, but its cold here. if i start hearing things when it warms up (april here in C. FL) i will revive the thread.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:30 AM
for EVER more!

OK - UPDATE: I heard it again. Car sat in cold parking (40 deg F) garage for 2 days/nights. Pulling out of lot at a stop sign, and heard a "grrroooaaannn" when turning left. Then it was fine. After it got the groan out it was done. It only happens when car has been sitting for a while and its below 50 degrees (Which rarely happens here, making it nearly impossible to duplicate....)
Ideas?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the noise only occurs during or shortly after you hit the steering stop, it's nothing to worry about. There's a bypass channel that is exposed when the wheel is turned all the way so that the power steering doesn't try to push the rack through the seal at the end. There's often a little bit of air in there since most of the time there's no fluid moving that channel and it's right next to the seal. This air gets pushed into the system and then has to make it's way back out to the reservoir. The sound is definitely a groan and not a a squeal though.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:27 AM
for EVER more!

Yes, groan, not squeal.
I guess this would make sense. To reiterate past posts, though this is not "the steering stop" (which i think you mean extreme turn until you can't anymore).
Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Drifting

If it's just doing that randomly then you've probably got a very tiny leak. Maybe even too tiny to let fluid but big enough to pull air in. The groaning sound is usually associated with bubbles in the lines.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:09 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
My '06 TSX has a squeak that occurs when tracking the steering wheel from left to right or right to left when stopped. It sounds like it is coming from the steering column. The dealer said it sounded like the cable rail was bad. The dealer replaced it and it didn't fix the problem. The squeaking is still there pretty much every day.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by wizardjjr
My '06 TSX has a squeak that occurs when tracking the steering wheel from left to right or right to left when stopped. It sounds like it is coming from the steering column. The dealer said it sounded like the cable rail was bad. The dealer replaced it and it didn't fix the problem. The squeaking is still there pretty much every day.
I had the same problem about a year and a half ago with my '04 6MT. Took it to the dealer a number of times and they said the squeaking was the result of your average wear and tear. After a lot of frustration, i got some WD40 and using the long tube nozzle, i squirt some in the gap between the wheel and the steering column and the gap between the steering column and the instrument panel while turning the wheel and it totally fixed it. Haven't had any problems with it since then. and all the electronics work just fine.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:02 PM
for EVER more!

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
If it's just doing that randomly then you've probably got a very tiny leak. Maybe even too tiny to let fluid but big enough to pull air in. The groaning sound is usually associated with bubbles in the lines.
I'm thinking you're right. Its the cold temps that make it really happen (happened again last night) - i dont know if that piece helps the trouble shoot, but it seems to be getting louder. if i;m "leaking" does that mean i'd notice fluid loss?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Drifting

It's probably a really tiny leak at this point so it's possible that you haven't seen any signs of it. Things to keep on eye on would be the level in the reservoir going down over time. If you're so inclined, you can climb under the car look around for fluid residue. I would look especially close at the rubber boots on the end of the steering rack where the arms that connect to the wheels connect to (on the non-wheel side). Pull it back a little and see if there's any fluid built up in there.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:12 PM

Again, I've read that turning your steering wheel left -> right or right -> left WHILE STOPPED is not good for the tires and likely to create a sound somewhere. I suspected that my light little squeak was happening when I was turning my wheel while moving very slowly uphill, corrected my driving behavior (a wee bit more forward motion while turning), and the sound hasn't recurred. YMMV.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Drifting

It's silly to worry at all about turning your tires while not moving. If they were that fragile, how would they handle turning while moving?

The squeak you heard may have been the actual rubber on the road btw.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:20 PM

Yeah, probably another myth, but it's easy enough to avoid, and it doesn't hurt the tires to take that little precaution. I thought it might be a seal or something in the steering column (sure sounded like it was right there), but someone mentioned the tires, I changed my behavior a little, and ... all quiet after that.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:11 AM
for EVER more!

Ok I have an update.
I did a LOT of driving this week - road trip of over 1600 mi r/t.
Cold weather and hills (Finally got to test the tsx on REAL roads (not stupid flat divided hwys of FL)

ANYWAY - heard the groan loudly a few times. I dont think its the steering system at all now. I think its something to do with the clutch/engine/tranny when the engine is cold (sitting at 50 or below for an extended period (more than 12 hours).

Engaging first is when it happens. And it only happens once during the aforementioned cycle.

I put stick in first (usually from reverse) - as I'm engaging the gear and starting to roll, i hear the groan - and it was much louder this time (cause i think it was colder). This was happening BEFORE they replaced the MT fluid at my last service, so its not that.

I have about 7 k left on my warranty - but because its so warm down here i dont think i can get it to replicate - what can i ask the dealer to do to fix this!?

Thanks - LUKEATRON I AM LOOKING FOR YA! :-)
Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PittIsIt
Ok I have an update.
I did a LOT of driving this week - road trip of over 1600 mi r/t.
Cold weather and hills (Finally got to test the tsx on REAL roads (not stupid flat divided hwys of FL)

ANYWAY - heard the groan loudly a few times. I dont think its the steering system at all now. I think its something to do with the clutch/engine/tranny when the engine is cold (sitting at 50 or below for an extended period (more than 12 hours).

Engaging first is when it happens. And it only happens once during the aforementioned cycle.

I put stick in first (usually from reverse) - as I'm engaging the gear and starting to roll, i hear the groan - and it was much louder this time (cause i think it was colder). This was happening BEFORE they replaced the MT fluid at my last service, so its not that.

I have about 7 k left on my warranty - but because its so warm down here i dont think i can get it to replicate - what can i ask the dealer to do to fix this!?

Thanks - LUKEATRON I AM LOOKING FOR YA! :-)
Man I took the car to my dealer and they claim they couldn't hear it. I think it has to due to the temp of the car when it first starts up. When it's warm here in Cali it doesn't do it. I have learned that not turning the steering wheel all the way for me I won't here that noise at all.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 AM
for EVER more!

yeah thanks raver, but i think in my last post, i'm realizing its not a STEERING issue at all, but potentially a TRANNY issue (I have an MT)...
It's happening as you engage first after a COLD START in COLD WEATHER only.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Drifting

I generally advocate not worrying too much about minor funny things your car does only when it's first started in the cold and I don't think this case is any different.

Just to clarify though, it makes the noise as you're moving the shifter into first or as you're letting the clutch out to get going? There is a self test of the ABS system the car does after it gets up to about 5 mph after starting the car. Sounds like a brief low grumbling noise and you can feel pulsation in the brake pedal if you are applying them at the time. The test briefly and lightly drags each pad to make sure the system is working (you'll get an ABS light on if not). I've noticed the sounds is more pronounced when it's colder, probably because the fluid is thicker or something. Also the first time car is started after sitting for 8 to 12 hours, the test seems to run a little longer, but this just might be imagining things.

The only other thing I might watch out for is that the clutch may be reaching the end of it's life. If you haven't noticed any slipping, I wouldn't give it much thought right now.

I was in Ohio for the bulk of the holidays so you would have had to have been looking pretty hard to spot me.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 AM
for EVER more!

thanks LukeaTron! Welcome back.
To clarify, the sound occurs when engaging the clutch. Your interesting (and impressive) explanation regarding ABS may be accurate. I'm glad I'm pinpointing the noise finally. I only have about 7k left on my warranty and my eagle eyes and ears are trying to make sure everything is taken care of before my time runs out.

its also making me a bit of a hypochondriac - this morning i thought i needed new motor mounts - a little shaking at idle LOL

Thanks everyone, you all are the best
Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 AM
for EVER more!

BUMP still getting this issue - anyone else have any info i can share with the dealer?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:15 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I am having the same issue. It does always seems to happen when starting up from a slow speed (in 1st or sometimes 2nd gear if I was already rolling slowly). Most of the times I am turning (but only slightly) so I too was suspecting the power steering. At this point I'm not sure, but I'm not discounting either theory (PS or clutch/tranny).

I will say that I have heard the problem numerous times AFTER driving 20 miles to work (about half of it highway). I have to stop (or at least slow way down) at a guard shack to show a badge on the way into the parking lot at work, and when I start to pull away from that is when I often hear the sound. So at that point my car should be plenty warmed up and not doing any diagnostic ABS tests. I seem to hear the sound about once a week, but I've never been able to recreate it when I want to.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:09 PM
4th Gear

steering wheel groaning noise

For all of you getting that groaning ,rubbing sound, It seems pretty certain that the problem is the steering rack. Acura just replaced mine in my 2006 TSX , under warranty. And they have done the same with other TSX`s with the same noise. So far it has fixed the problem. This was the noise that happens when turning wheel at very slow speeds. And after replacing it, they will do a wheel alignment, also at no charge if done under warranty.

Last edited by jimbototo; 10-24-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:33 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

jimbototo,
How did you get them to replace it? I only hear the sound maybe once a week, and the dealer has never been able to reproduce it -- thus they won't do anything.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:56 PM
4th Gear

To STL, I had been to dealer a couple times and they tried to fix the groaning,rubbing type sound, with no luck. They finally said it must be steering rack. They did reproduce the sound, it happened often, at 1 or 2 MPH. Like I said earlier, a couple dealers said they finally determined steering rack is the culprit with this noise. it is fine now.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
get it fixed asap! I had the same problem at 20K. Mine is 06 TSX as well. The dealer ended up having to replace the 'wheel bearing'. It had the same problem as far as making a creaking noise and felt 'bumpy' when turning the wheel each time in the morning and when the car is sitting still after a while. I got mine fixed during warranty. Too many fixes for me so far. Axle replaced, steering wheel problem, battery went dead for no reason, noise coming from the front, the list goes on and on. I'm crossing my finger since warranty expired 5K ago.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by jimbototo
To STL, I had been to dealer a couple times and they tried to fix the groaning,rubbing type sound, with no luck. They finally said it must be steering rack. They did reproduce the sound, it happened often, at 1 or 2 MPH. Like I said earlier, a couple dealers said they finally determined steering rack is the culprit with this noise. it is fine now.
So what did they do? Replace the entire rack ... lubricate ... replace a component ... inquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 PM
4th Gear

The dealer replaced steering rack under warranty, They also did wheel alignment for free, which must be done after installing steering rack. Problem solved.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 PM
4th Gear

To answer your question, yes, the whole "steering rack"
Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Anyone have a good technique for making this problem at least somewhat repeatable? I thought I had something, but when I went to drive the Acura tech around this morning I never could make it happen for him. Talk about frustrating...
Old 01-07-2010, 04:02 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by STL
Anyone have a good technique for making this problem at least somewhat repeatable? I thought I had something, but when I went to drive the Acura tech around this morning I never could make it happen for him. Talk about frustrating...
I had the technician sit in the car with me going forward and backing up when we reach the end of the parking lot for about 15 minutes. Issue occured and they replaced some parts related to the clutch and now problem is gone
Old 01-07-2010, 03:57 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Well, I finally got it to happen a couple times with a tech in the car. He missed it the first time (but it was a short groan) but he heard the second time. He was pretty perplexed. He thought it might be clutch chatter, but he took over driving and never could make the problem happen and said it wasn't what he thought it might be. He still said they couldn't really do anything until the problem could be reproduced more consistently -- but at least it should be documented that they've heard it now.

The groan I hear always happens when starting from a stop or near stop (and while letting out the clutch in first or sometimes second gear). It happens fairly consistently -- 50+% of the time -- where I pull into the parking lot where I work. I have to stop (or almost stop) at a guard shack to show a badge, and when I pull away from there I always try not to peel out so it's always an "easy/soft" start. I am giving the car just a little steering input when I pull away so that's why I thought it might be related to the steering rack but it might be the clutch (or maybe even something else).

I'd appreciate if people could chime in and let me know if their symptoms are/were identical to mine. Thanks...
Old 03-11-2010, 01:33 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Yesterday, I duplicated the problem again for the dealer (this time with a senior tech in the car). The sound seemed to stump him too. I left the car with them a few days -- and late afternoon yesterday the service dept. called and said they got approval from Acura to tear things down and take a look.

Today they said they found premature wear on the clutch disk because the main shaft appeared to not be properly lubricated. So they were doing to lube the main shaft and replace the clutch disk (but not anything else). Does that make sense?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 AM

I've encountered this occasionally while turning the steering wheel a great deal from far left, to far right (backing out of my driveway, then turning and straightening up on a narrow street). I have a 5AT, so I'm not sure that what you're hearing is anything like what I could be encountering. Still, nice to have techs investigate it.

Quick Reply: steering wheel groan