Sporadic Rattles in an '06 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:53 PM
This space taken.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sporadic Rattles in an '06 TSX

Hey all. As I've gotten the TSX good and broken in (about 5k on it now), a few rattles and creaks have started to come out. They aren't "terrible," but to me any rattle is a problem, so I want to go about getting them fixed, if possible.

The biggest trouble is that none of them are consistent, and I know as soon as I take it to the dealer it won't do any of them - So I'm hoping I can go with some idea of exactly what is rattling - perhaps more credible to the dealer.

1) The driver's door panel - I've seen the TSB for the '04, not sure if that applies to me. Sometimes it sounds like its coming from the panel, often it sounds like it comes from the speaker itself. I used to think it would only do it with the radio/speakers on, but it will do it without sometimes. Its more of a creak than a rattle, but as it is right by me - it is annoying. Can be very prevalent when listening to talk radio.

2) Steering Wheel - This is by far the worst rattle, but also the most inconsistent. It only shows up about once a week for a few minutes, but it is LOUD and VERY annoying.

3) Passenger Door / Seat Belt / Head Rest - This is a tough one to pin down, as I can't quite tell where it is coming from. My best guess is the head rest, but sometimes it sounds just like the rattle in the driver's door, so I'm thinking otherwise...

Any ideas? Both our Accord ('03) and this TSX have more rattles than I expect from a Honda, but I'm hopeful we can cure them on the TSX at least (since it is still under warranty).
Old 11-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Moving thread here to better assist in getting answers. This is more than just a discussion topic.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:56 PM
This space taken.

Thanks Moda - my bad
Old 11-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jurisprudent
1) The driver's door panel - I've seen the TSB for the '04, not sure if that applies to me. Sometimes it sounds like its coming from the panel, often it sounds like it comes from the speaker itself. I used to think it would only do it with the radio/speakers on, but it will do it without sometimes. Its more of a creak than a rattle, but as it is right by me - it is annoying. Can be very prevalent when listening to talk radio.

2) Steering Wheel - This is by far the worst rattle, but also the most inconsistent. It only shows up about once a week for a few minutes, but it is LOUD and VERY annoying.

3) Passenger Door / Seat Belt / Head Rest - This is a tough one to pin down, as I can't quite tell where it is coming from. My best guess is the head rest, but sometimes it sounds just like the rattle in the driver's door, so I'm thinking otherwise...
1. If I'm not mistaken, some people found out that it was in the panel with the side mirror switch. If you press down somewhere, it might go away. As for my 06, I used to hear sounds coming from the driver's door...i noticed it goes away when I play with the driver's door lock knob. I push it in, and try twisting it a little...I think it might be the thing actually rattling.

2. Steering wheel rattle I haven't heard about...but I think the 04's might have had some rattling in the steering wheel column...

3. I had that problem as well. Sometimes it would stop if I played around with the passenger side's seatbelt, and sometimes it would stop if I played around with the passenger side's headrest. I suppose they would take turns rattling.

As for 1 & 3, I had both problems, but I was waiting for my oil change light to come up so I can go back to the dealer for those problems. But by the time it came around (3200 miles and 6 miles later), the rattles are no longer there. The only noise I hear now is road noise/wind noise.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey all. As I've gotten the TSX good and broken in (about 5k on it now), a few rattles and creaks have started to come out. They aren't "terrible," but to me any rattle is a problem, so I want to go about getting them fixed, if possible.

The biggest trouble is that none of them are consistent, and I know as soon as I take it to the dealer it won't do any of them - So I'm hoping I can go with some idea of exactly what is rattling - perhaps more credible to the dealer.

Any ideas? Both our Accord ('03) and this TSX have more rattles than I expect from a Honda, but I'm hopeful we can cure them on the TSX at least (since it is still under warranty).
I have the exact same rattles in 2001 accord.

Driver side door pannel. Passenger side door rattle.

EX V6 coupe btw.

Honda trademarks? Any other 06's have this?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:40 AM
Driver/Detailer

Try lowering the passenger seat belt height by 1 notch to see if it stops the rattling.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the steering wheel rattle (sounded like a marble bouncing whenever I hit bumps on the freeway) and both front doors vibrated when listening to music, and were even worse when using Bluetooth. Took the car in and they fixed everything under warranty. It's been a couple weeks and the rattles are gone. They put EPT film in the doors to damp the vibration and the airbag cable was loose in the steering column, so I guess they strapped it down. If you take your TSX in for service they should fix all the rattles no questions asked.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 PM
This space taken.

Thanks Jswim - that sounds exactly like what I have -- esp the bit about it being worse with Bluetooth.

So the dealer didn't try to give you a "could not duplicate" style runaround?
Old 11-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Jswim - that sounds exactly like what I have -- esp the bit about it being worse with Bluetooth.

So the dealer didn't try to give you a "could not duplicate" style runaround?
Not at all. The service rep seemed to know exactly what I was talking about with the door rattles. I even asked them to replace the windshield wipers under warranty, since they were awful from the day I bought the car, and they did that no problem (I have about 5k miles on my TSX). Also, when they gave me back the car the bass on the stereo was cranked all the way up, so I assume they used that method to duplicate the door rattles. I was able to duplicate the steering wheel rattle by thumping the top of the wheel with my fist, so that's how I made sure it was fixed. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They fixed my steering wheel rattle (was also the air bag harness) back a few months ago and it was rattle free until it got cold. It has since returned and will have to be fixed at the next service appt.