Annoying high-pitched whine/ringing noise

Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
No room in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Annoying high-pitched whine/ringing noise

^See title. It's coming from the front of the car, sounds like something that's spinning and causing a squeal. I started noticing it after I hit a curb with my right front wheel (fairly low-speed, some jackass came over too far in a two-lane left turn). I don't think it was there before.

It tends to have certain speeds where it's worst, like around 45mph and 75mph it tends to be louder, but it's audible at almost any speed (except very slow speeds).

Any idea what it could be? Something screwed up by hitting the wheel? I had a shop look at it and re-align it, they said they didn't see anything wrong, but I take that with a grain of salt.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Where to begin...could be the wheel hub, or axle (since you mentions the noise after hitting a curb). Moda_way had something on those symptoms you described.
How many miles do you have? Does it make any noise when you're at park?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 AM
No room in

50k miles, no noise when parked.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My money is on the wheel bearing. Does the pitch change with vehicle speed? Engine speed?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
My first instinct would be wheel bearing as well, but those tend to make a lower pitch noise rather than a squeal. But, anything's possible. Personally, I'd start there.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm back

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
same problem here, but no clue....mine is a 04 with 99k miles, bought it with 63k miles. but i hear the whine noise coming from the shifter area, and the noise appear after 45mpg .the loundess is at 45 mph and pass 70mph ever since. It only comes when u press on the pedal to keep the car at constant speed

had researched this problem, ppl said its common on tsx AT tranny, and took it to the dealer at around 70k miles, the dealer said was normal due to the final drive...

Anyone else have experience the same issue or any solutions?

Last edited by chokin; 03-02-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea had something similar occurring its an 04 non/navi at, and when it started it would whine and then when you started to drive it would just start to whine louder it kind of sounded like a bird chirping under the hood. The noise was coming from the front area of the engine. Come to find out it was the belt needing replacing. Took it to the dealer and they switched it out, then took it back again because they didnt re-adjust it right. But after the belt was changed the noise stopped. hope that helps
Old 03-03-2009, 03:54 PM
No room in

Originally Posted by daishi17
yea had something similar occurring its an 04 non/navi at, and when it started it would whine and then when you started to drive it would just start to whine louder it kind of sounded like a bird chirping under the hood. The noise was coming from the front area of the engine. Come to find out it was the belt needing replacing. Took it to the dealer and they switched it out, then took it back again because they didnt re-adjust it right. But after the belt was changed the noise stopped. hope that helps
The serpentine belt?

Thanks everyone for your input, it's given me a lot of good ideas. If anyone else has had something like this, please chime in, this is good information.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:43 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Takran
The serpentine belt?

Thanks everyone for your input, it's given me a lot of good ideas. If anyone else has had something like this, please chime in, this is good information.

i guess so lol not to car savy, well there is only one belt i think its the one on the left when you look down on the engine
Old 03-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm back

Originally Posted by daishi17
i havent replace the drive belts yet, but im sure that i hear the wine noise is coming from the Shifting area
Old 07-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think my car started making the exact same noise! It's been driving me nuts ever since I've noticed it. It sounds like a really fast bird chirp that's coming from the dash / steering area. It happens under very specific conditions though:

- When in 5th gear, between 2,500rpm and 3,000rpm (most audible around 2,500rpm)
- Only when the throttle is open (i.e. I'm pressing on the gas)

I'm honestly scared that it might be coming from the tranny.

Car is an 05 TSX with 143K km (88K miles) on it..
Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Thermos
I think my car started making the exact same noise! It's been driving me nuts ever since I've noticed it. It sounds like a really fast bird chirp that's coming from the dash / steering area. It happens under very specific conditions though:

- When in 5th gear, between 2,500rpm and 3,000rpm (most audible around 2,500rpm)
- Only when the throttle is open (i.e. I'm pressing on the gas)

I'm honestly scared that it might be coming from the tranny.

Car is an 05 TSX with 143K km (88K miles) on it..
I've had my MT '06 (70k mi) in to the shop several times for a noise that sounds like crickets, and they are unable to find the problem. It's been doing it for about 9 months now, and hasn't gotten too much worse. The dealer replaced the auto-tensioner and tranny fluid, but those things didn't help. An independent shop mechanic couldn't hear the noise at all (too high pitched?)! My issue also only happens in certain RPM ranges and when there is load on the engine (pressing on the gas as well as engine braking downhill).

Let me know if you can get somebody to figure out your issue, which sounds identical to mine.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Instructor

As bad as this sounds, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.. but it sucks that there's no evident solution.

My only reason for thinking that the noise is coming out of the transmission is because it only happens when the car is in gear, and specifically in 5th gear at around 2,500rpm. I don't think it's the engine/air intake because when the car is in Neutral, even if I rev it to 2500rpm, there is no noise at all. I was thinking of taking off my air intake (I got the Injen CAI in SR mode) and cleaning the throttle body, although I don't see how that would help.

I also checked the tranny fluid level and color and both seem fine. Last time I replaced it was 30K Km ago (20K miles).

Maybe the best thing to do would be to take it to some transmission diagnostics test.

BTW, My car is an AT.

Last edited by Thermos; 07-23-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention some details.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Racer

As bad as this sounds, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.. but it sucks that there's no evident solution.

My only reason for thinking that the noise is coming out of the transmission is because it only happens when the car is in gear, and specifically in 5th gear at around 2,500rpm. I don't think it's the engine/air intake because when the car is in Neutral, even if I rev it to 2500rpm, there is no noise at all. I was thinking of taking off my air intake (I got the Injen CAI in SR mode) and cleaning the throttle body, although I don't see how that would help.

I also checked the tranny fluid level and color and both seem fine. Last time I replaced it was 30K Km ago (20K miles).

Maybe the best thing to do would be to take it to some transmission diagnostics test.

BTW, My car is an AT.
Interesting that our cars have the same symptoms but different transmissions (mine's MT). That leads me to believe the problem lies somewhere else. However, my issue is definitely related to load on the drivetrain. Could it be axles?

I get the noise in every gear except 1st, always around the same RPM range. Also, higher loads on the drivetrain don't lead to more noise, which is strange. If I drive really hard the noise disappears.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Instructor

But if it's axles, shouldn't it make the noise at all times? Even when your foot is off the gas? I just find it a very strange problem. It seems like if it was related to any moving parts (i.e. axles, bearing, etc) then it should make it all the time no matter the gear or RPM..

I have a feeling if I take it to a mechanic then they'll just suggest replacing parts until it goes away.. and then it still may not. I don't do highway driving on a daily basis so I can't really hear the noise. I was thinking of replacing my accessory belt to see if it may somehow magically be related, it's about time anyways.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 PM
10th Gear

It tends to have certain speeds where it's worst, like around 45mph and 75mph it tends to be louder, but it's audible at almost any speed (except very slow speeds).
Exactly...

I've found that it is only audible with temperatures over 55-60 degrees. In the winter, the noise mostly goes away.

My '06 has 62k miles. I've thought about taking it to the dealership, but I'm concerned I'll get the run-around.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM
10th Gear

The serpentine belt?

Takran, what area do you live in? Are you north of b-more?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM
5th Gear

Gonna take a crack at this because I've had the same problem and it's usually around 45mph and 75mph.

Way back in the day when they recalled the tranny on the car, I heard it as well and it was at a very similar speed as it is now. I looked into it a little further and had a conversation with the techs and some guys at work.

From what I can gather, it's the way in which the transmission works on new cars with the liquid exchangers. Essentially, the viscosity of the liquid has a resonance at 45mph and 75mph (ish) that makes the whine. It's not anything you can really fix because it's a by-product of the materials within the tranny. Some hear it, some don't depending on how sensitive your hearing is.

For example: I only hear it at these two speeds and not any other like some have indicated. My GF can't hear it period.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Instructor

I think is the header... the whine's gone after you lift off the gas.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wkyama
Gonna take a crack at this because I've had the same problem and it's usually around 45mph and 75mph.

Way back in the day when they recalled the tranny on the car, I heard it as well and it was at a very similar speed as it is now. I looked into it a little further and had a conversation with the techs and some guys at work.

From what I can gather, it's the way in which the transmission works on new cars with the liquid exchangers. Essentially, the viscosity of the liquid has a resonance at 45mph and 75mph (ish) that makes the whine. It's not anything you can really fix because it's a by-product of the materials within the tranny. Some hear it, some don't depending on how sensitive your hearing is.

For example: I only hear it at these two speeds and not any other like some have indicated. My GF can't hear it period.
The problem occurs on both MT and AT--does your explanation account for this? The dealer did a fluid flush on my MT with zero effect on the noise.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jswim99
The problem occurs on both MT and AT--does your explanation account for this? The dealer did a fluid flush on my MT with zero effect on the noise.

Again not an expert but the way that transmissions are built today, it's all viscous fluids moving the parts instead of actual metal-on-metal contact. MTs having 6 gears and will probably have some differences in the ratios but all in all the same physical mechanisms as the AT.

Having your fluid changed on MT without any effect on the sound doesn't sound odd because the fluid itself may be cleaner but its still the same type of fluid.

I hope that helps.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:40 AM
6th Gear

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have a 05 auto with 40000km and began to notice this noise. The whine occurs mostly at 3rd gear around 2500rpm. There is also the occasional louder bird chirping sound under acceleration.

This noise seems common among tsx owners, im just wondering if i should be concerned over this noise or not
Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Instructor

I've now had this sound for about 5-10k KMs since I noticed it. It hasn't gotten better or worse. Only really audible in 5th gear, at 2500ish RPM (or 120KM/h) on the highway. I've replaced my tranny fluid this morning so I'll know soon if I hear it again or not on the highway, but I don't think it will make a difference.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Racer

I've had the noise for about 20k mi, and it hasn't gotten worse and the car otherwise is behaving normally. I have learned to ignore the noise, and I will continue to do so until I hear of someone actually fixing it (or it developing into a severe problem).
Old 10-28-2009, 02:43 AM
Instructor

I've had this noise for about 40000 miles already. (84k-122k) In the mean time, I did AT fluid exchange at 105k.
Noise is most audible at 4th, 5th below 3500rpm with foot on gas pedal.
I tried to search for a solution 1.5 years ago. I read someone got his AT replaced and the noise was gone. Other than that, I've never seen a solution.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an 06 AT and I think mine is doing the same thing. Basically I hear a high-pitched whistle kind of sound coming from under the hood/dash area when these conditions are met:

- Going above 65mph (never hear it going slower than that)
- Only when accelerating/cruise kicking in. If I take my foot off the gas pedal even for a second, the sound immediately goes away

Took it to the dealer a while ago, they told me they'll make a 'note' of it in case it develops into something in the future but otherwise they have not done anything. If anyone gets this resolved, I'd really want to know. Luckily I don't drive on the highway often, but when I do it can get kind of annoying.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dmikon
I have an 06 AT and I think mine is doing the same thing. Basically I hear a high-pitched whistle kind of sound coming from under the hood/dash area when these conditions are met:

- Going above 65mph (never hear it going slower than that)
- Only when accelerating/cruise kicking in. If I take my foot off the gas pedal even for a second, the sound immediately goes away

Took it to the dealer a while ago, they told me they'll make a 'note' of it in case it develops into something in the future but otherwise they have not done anything. If anyone gets this resolved, I'd really want to know. Luckily I don't drive on the highway often, but when I do it can get kind of annoying.
I have the same exact symptoms as described....very annoying. Sadly I am at 123,000 miles on my 06 and warranty is not going to cover that. I was thinking about getting a APEXI WS2 to fix the problem! Fight sound and sound** =]
Old 01-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I know this thread is nearly 5 years old, but has anyone found a solution to this mysterious issue? I have been dealing with this buzzing noise (when I hit the gas pedal) for over 5 months now... Thanks in advance
Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Instructor

I've had mine come and go for years now but it hasn't transformed into any issue. I just dismissed it as having something to do with the temps outside and/or the tranny fluid I have.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 AM
We Are Venom

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
same sound no solution! sounds like my tranny which i just had rebuilt, no slippage or anything. flushed after 1000 miles on it.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Advanced

Had the same issue with my 06 TL

From what I'm reading it sounds like the same exact issue I had with my TL. I went through so many things trying to find it. Had it at the dealer. They changed tensioners, shimmed the tensioner, a pulley bracket. Nothing worked. I was thinking it was transmission related due to when it would show up. Not sure any of the mechanics I brought it to could actually hear it. It was never resolved and I traded the car in and got a 17 accord. I was starting to lose my mind and thought I was the only one. To read this thread makes me laugh now...
Old 09-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by punkascii
From what I'm reading it sounds like the same exact issue I had with my TL. I went through so many things trying to find it. Had it at the dealer. They changed tensioners, shimmed the tensioner, a pulley bracket. Nothing worked. I was thinking it was transmission related due to when it would show up. Not sure any of the mechanics I brought it to could actually hear it. It was never resolved and I traded the car in and got a 17 accord. I was starting to lose my mind and thought I was the only one. To read this thread makes me laugh now...
Talk about resurrection of a thread! I still have my TSX and it's still running just fine with 292k KM. I actually can't recall if I still have the whine or if I got so used to it that I don't notice it any more.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Talk about resurrection of a thread! I still have my TSX and it's still running just fine with 292k KM. I actually can't recall if I still have the whine or if I got so used to it that I don't notice it any more.
Haha that is partly why I laughed. It was such an old thread, I couldn't believe I didn't see it, while I was trying to diagnose. Or maybe I did, and since there was no outcome, I just blew it off. I don't even remember. Cool, glad to hear about your TSX. I just got my son an 05, and figured I'd come back to the zine and look for common issues.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Nice. The car's been low-maintenance for me but I'm one to do my research and perform the required maintenance. My biggest concern now is rust forming at the bottom of all doors
Old 09-19-2018, 07:46 AM
Advanced

Nice. The car's been low-maintenance for me but I'm one to do my research and perform the required maintenance. My biggest concern now is rust forming at the bottom of all doors
Yes the rust at the bottom of the door is a concern. I'm still trying to devise a plan of what to do to combat it. I know there's that rust inhibitor you can put on it, that turns black, but the car is white, so that means paint to some degree. Under the hood could get dicey as well.