Slower than expected.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slower than expected.

Hi there. I've looked around and searched around a bit for sluggish and reasons as to why. I've checked for engine codes:none, had it on a hoist and all wheels turn freely, no dragging brakes. The car is a 2005 auto tsx w/ nav. It had a tune up when my mom first got it last year and has since had about 30k miles put on it in the last year or so. Its now at just under 100k miles. Synthetic oil changes every 5k, air filter changed recently. The vehicle has been maintained by our shop by the original owners since new and its never missed a service, hence why we bought it off the customer for my mom.

I know its quicker than my 05 Legacy auto but slower than my stock 95 del sol vtec with about 85k miles. I borrowed it the other week when I left my legacy at home to have brakes done and needed 4 seats. I know they aren't super quick cars, but trying to get ahead of a 08ish civic auto with a good bit of road to get on the freeway it wasn't able to pull ahead enough to make it a safe pass. Ended up slowing to merge onto the ramp leading to the highway/freeway. I thought it would have a bit more oomph than a stock civic and it seems to have lost some of it since i drove it about a month back.

The tsx still shifts smooth, idles quiet, starts and runs like a charm, just doesn't have as much power you would expect from the extra 60hp and 30ish tq.

Any suggestions and input would be appreciated. Things I can try to do to restore its performance a bit. I prefer not to mod it, maybe with the exception of a drop in filter.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Make sure that your oil level is well above the minimum mark on the dipstick. Whenever my TSX seems a little sluggish, it's because the oil is on the low side.

I doubt it's an issue, but it wouldn't hurt to check your spark plugs. If you're under 100k, they probably haven't been replaced yet.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:44 AM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Also consider transmission fluid level. Once the fluid gets lower, it may start to have problems shifting properly. Did it kickdown when you tried to pass?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't normally ask, but since the car is relatively new to you: Are you filling it with Super? This is an absolute must. If so, do you fill up at a name brand like Shell or Chevron or BP et al?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heya,

Thought I remembered to reply to this thread with what I found. Well it turned out to be a clogged air flter. we must have driven through some pretty crappy stuff in the last couple thousand miles. swapped for K&N drop in, checked oil, we do use premium and reset the computer and the car woke up. Pulled much harder than it ever did. Will probably do this everytime we do an oil change, every 3k miles/5k kilometers.

Thanks for all the help!