Slight clicking sound???!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight clicking sound???!

Hey guys I have been searching but I have a question. When I drive my car it sounds a tad rough when idling and when I am going from first to 2nd it makes this clicking sound around 2-3500k RPM's. Just wanted to know if I should have it looked at or can someone possibly help me with this problem? Other than that the car runs fine. Any help or expertise would be appreciated!! THanks guys!!
Old 07-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JT2k4TSX
Hey guys I have been searching but I have a question. When I drive my car it sounds a tad rough when idling and when I am going from first to 2nd it makes this clicking sound around 2-3500k RPM's. Just wanted to know if I should have it looked at or can someone possibly help me with this problem? Other than that the car runs fine. Any help or expertise would be appreciated!! THanks guys!!
That sounds like the timing chain. Our TSX's use a timing chain instead of a belt. This way it's pretty much maintenance free and less chance of it breaking.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alin10123
That sounds like the timing chain. Our TSX's use a timing chain instead of a belt. This way it's pretty much maintenance free and less chance of it breaking.
uh, yeah...umm, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that point. Timing chains needs also maintenance as the links do tend to wear also and they can break just as well also. The good thing about chains is that they are stronger (so you don't have to change them as often as a belt), retain their position as far as timing (belts tend to stretch over time and their tension as a result can loosen up), and they won't skip teeth like a belt can (previous point only to add that if the tensioner isn't properly functioning and the belt stretches, it will jump teeth and two-three teeth off is enough to cause problems). The unfortunate thing is as you mentioned above, they are noiser than a belt (they ratttle sort of speak) and I think, not sure about this point, but they tend to make an engine vibrate more than usual, this is especially promanent in bigger engines. Chains are also more expensive to manufactor, develop, and service... versus belts which are generally cheaper to purchase and conduct labor on.

The only timing chain I ever done was an LT5 engine (corvette engine) and you have to rip out a bunch of stuff to get to it (I'm talking about the entire pulley system, water pump, oil pump, etc.) but once you get to it, it much easier to put on than a belt (at least that's what I think).
Old 07-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by goddsmack
uh, yeah...umm, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that point. Timing chains needs also maintenance as the links do tend to wear also and they can break just as well also. The good thing about chains is that they are stronger (so you don't have to change them as often as a belt), retain their position as far as timing (belts tend to stretch over time and their tension as a result can loosen up), and they won't skip teeth like a belt can (previous point only to add that if the tensioner isn't properly functioning and the belt stretches, it will jump teeth and two-three teeth off is enough to cause problems). The unfortunate thing is as you mentioned above, they are noiser than a belt (they ratttle sort of speak) and I think, not sure about this point, but they tend to make an engine vibrate more than usual, this is especially promanent in bigger engines. Chains are also more expensive to manufactor, develop, and service... versus belts which are generally cheaper to purchase and conduct labor on.

The only timing chain I ever done was an LT5 engine (corvette engine) and you have to rip out a bunch of stuff to get to it (I'm talking about the entire pulley system, water pump, oil pump, etc.) but once you get to it, it much easier to put on than a belt (at least that's what I think).

Notice i used the words "pretty much" and i also said "less chance of breaking". I Never said that it wouldn't break and didn't require ANY mainteance. But most of us, if we're not keeping a car well past the first scheduled maintenance, will not have to worry about replacing of the chains.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So guys do you think I should go get it checked out????
Old 07-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JT2k4TSX
So guys do you think I should go get it checked out????
Well, honestly without none of us hearing it,we couldn't tell if it is normal or not, so given that reason, have a professional look at it. Better safe than sorry...right?

But most of us, if we're not keeping a car well past the first scheduled maintenance, will not have to worry about replacing of the chains.
Geez really ? I purchased this car so I don't have to worry about another car for a good amount of time. I would have kept my older '95 Accord much longer than last year also if some freak didn't have a brain fart and rear end me because he "couldn't find the brake"...sheesh. Although certain things about this TSX are starting to bug me so i may trade for something else sooner than usual for me but that's like in 5-6 years maybe. My 4Runner was in my family for a good 12 years before I sold it and the only reason why I did sell it was a main bearing issue that I didn't feel like pouring money to fix otherwise I would probably still have that SUV. I plan to keep my current Tundra past that amount.