Seat Wearing/Shredding/Tearing at seam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Wearing/Shredding/Tearing at seam?

Has anyone else had this problem? I have an '06 TSX and on the driver's seat, along the curve of the seat bolster, near the lumbar position, the (p)leather has already started to "fray", for lack of a better term. This is right at the seaming, at the most frontal part of the seat back, if that makes sense. I assume it's from me sliding in and out of the seat, but I hate to think that the seat is seeing wear and tear after only 5 months?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:23 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I haven't had this problem yet on my 06 and I had mine for 5 months (quartz color). I've started conditioning the seats once a month the first day I purchased the car. The leather was a little tight and it is just now starting to loosen up a little (not sure if it is from my fat ass or the leather conditioning). The type of wear you're experiencing sounds more in the product defect range compared to normal wear/tear.

That should be covered by the warranty. To be on the safe side, tell them you wear only 100% silk clothing and no belts with metal, rhinestones, spikes, rivets on jeans, or sandpaper shorts.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

I've already contacted my dealership, they haven't said yet whether or not they're going to cover it. I'll fight it tooth and nail. EVEN IF I was hard on it and wore harsh clothing, wearing shouldn't happen at 5 months of use. As it turns out, I rarely wear anything more abrasive than dress slacks, and rarely denim. I weigh 115 lbs and doubt this is from abuse. I clean and condition my seats regularly with a 2-step Zaino process.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you ware 100 grit sandpaper pants, theirs no reason for that to happen in such a short time...Good luck with the dealer. Remember to call Acura if they deny you...
Old 09-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

wow thats crazy... i think its a defect ...
Old 09-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Update:

I contacted Acura of Boston who has already ordered a replacement seat cover for the seat back, no questions asked. I merely emailed them the same photos I posted here. They also let me pick & choose my appointment time, and promised a loaner for the duration.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

New Update:

They did, as promised, fix the seat issue by having it reupholstered.

However, just a year later and the same problem is back. If it's not happening to anyone else, and it's too much of a coincidence to happen just to me twice, I'd have to assume at this point that it's something related to how I get in and out of my car. And if I had to guess, maybe it's because I'm very short (5'0), so my seat is always pulled very forward, so I rub the side bolster getting in and out? It's very frustrating and disappointing to see my seat all shredded like it is
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Contact Acura Corporate and tell them of your frustration. It should not waer like that in a years time.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Pro

That's absolutely ridiculous! I have an 07 TSX CGP w/ ebony interior, and I have yet to notice anything like that. If the leather is really this cheap, I will never buy another Acura. We have an 03 Escape with 90k miles that we put a 120lb dog in. Even after years of him sitting on the leather, I have yet to see it shredding apart like that. What was Acura's reason for something like this? I wonder if they actually put a new seat cover on, or had someone come in and try to repair it? Anyway's, good luck. I will keep an eye on mine from now on!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Instructor

wow this sucks but why are you coming all the way down to acura of boston for service? i live 10 mins away so i go there but if i was in maine!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:07 AM
tsx n00b

I'm pretty sure this is a common problem. I feel like the leather on my TSX is also more worn than it should be. If you search leather wear you get a lot of hits. I was particularly trying to find a rant post from about a year ago where this happened to some guy. the, key, I remember was the dealer tried to tell him that he was sitting wrong and later that he shouldn't wear levi's. If i find it i'll link it.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WlcTL
wow this sucks but why are you coming all the way down to acura of boston for service? i live 10 mins away so i go there but if i was in maine!!!
Because there is not an Acura dealer in Maine. The closest one is in NH, but they wouldn't deal with me at all when I was buying, so I bought in Boston. I have relatives in MA and CT so I go 4-6 times a year anyways. I just try to schedule any maintenance/issues during my visits.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
If the seat is far forward, that sounds plausible that you're sliding in and stretching the fabric. It shouldn't come apart like that, so soon, though.

Suggestion. I have my Driver 2 seat position set back for comfort and relaxing, not even close enough to the pedals to drive. It might be a regular annoyance, but using the second memory position for an "entry/exit setting" might limit the sliding/stretching. No wait, that won't work for when you unlock (if you have the driver key link enabled). Use the FIRST memory position for that (so it will slide back for you to get in), and then set the SECOND for a comfortable driving position. Hope that helps ... it's not addressing the quality/durability issue, but might lessen your wear and tear. And then when it starts going bad again, you can show the dealer what you do to prevent excessive sliding, and you can claim that's above and beyond normal owner diligence. E.g. "Well, you're being rough on your seat by sliding in with it so far forward for your height," answer, "No, this is how I get in and out, I'm sliding the seat back to minimize the wear and tear."