Seat moves forward under hard braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 06:50 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat moves forward under hard braking

Has anyone experienced the driver seat moving forward under hard braking? My seat moves a good inch forward when I stop fast. Actually I can sit in the seat and get it to move forward. Have taken it to the dealer twice... they have a new seat rail and mech on order.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Orangeblood

Seems to be a common problem. How hard are we talkin? How much do you weigh (serious question)?
Old 03-27-2004, 07:41 PM
7th Gear

I weigh 195lb... ABS dosn't activate... I tend to thershold brake..
Old 03-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Orangeblood

Apparently, there is some kind of underdesign defect in the seat system. My guess is it isnt the rails, its the leadscrew or nut on it that moves the seat. Must have been designed for little Jappos.

The reason I say not rails is a) unlikely in first place, and b) it recurs.

Good luck with it.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:50 PM
such a dirty birdy

I've got that problem. It's been serviced by the dealer twice already and there's more parts waiting for me to make an appt. First time the rails were replaced (that fixed a grinding problem when moving the seat). This time I'm told the "recliner" is being replaced. I'm not sure if thats the recliner tilting mechanism or the entire seat back.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:27 PM
5th Gear

Mine does that too. I weigh 165 and it moves forward when I brake. It doesnt have to be a hard brake either. I can make it move be scooting back and forth in the seat too. The non power passenger seat is very solid. It must be in the mechanics of the power seat. I dont think it is the rails either. Guess it is time to visit the dealer. I'm at about 1700 miles.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Master in Science

Exclamation NHTSA Investigates Moving Seat

The NHTSA is investigating the moving seat issue with the Acura TSX. Please call Steve Chan at the NHTSA and file a report regarding your experience. The more people that call in, the more likely Acura will be forced to fix this issue for good! Steve's number is: (202) 366-8537 . You'll be required to give your Vehicle Identification Number, and he'll ask a few more questions about your seat problem.

His office is in Washington D.C., so please call during E.T. "business hours."

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2004, 11:02 AM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NHTSA Investigates Moving Seat

Originally posted by slo007
The NHTSA is investigating the moving seat issue with the Acura TSX. Please call Steve Chan at the NHTSA and file a report regarding your experience. The more people that call in, the more likely Acura will be forced to fix this issue for good! Steve's number is: (202) 366-8537 . You'll be required to give your Vehicle Identification Number, and he'll ask a few more questions about your seat problem.

His office is in Washington D.C., so please call during E.T. "business hours."

Thanks!

nice

i just noticed that as well

i m about 160lbs going maybe 60km and if i hit the breaks w/out
downshifting.

the seat would slid a bit forward.. a bit annoying.. gona talk to the dealer soon
Old 04-03-2004, 04:08 PM
7th Gear

Update

Thanks for all the info. I took my car into the dealer and they replaced the entire bottom mech. of the seat. The seat no longer moves forward under braking and the grinding moving back and forth is gone.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:31 AM
Master in Science

Re: Update

Originally posted by PacNWtsx
Thanks for all the info. I took my car into the dealer and they replaced the entire bottom mech. of the seat. The seat no longer moves forward under braking and the grinding moving back and forth is gone.
Cool!
Old 04-06-2004, 09:10 AM
10th Gear

Hi all - I had a new seat put in, and for a month, it was OK. Now, I'm getting the seat shift - forward and side to side on turns. So even if you think it's fixed.... just wait. Sorry folks - what is NHTSA? National Highway Traffic Safety? Just a guess... Also, how did they find out about this? I have quite a long story about my seat drama!
Old 04-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Response from Dealer

Hi all,

Went into get my 10k miles service this morning and got a response for my driver's seat shifts.

This is what they wrote on my summary sheet after examination:

DRIVER SEAT HAS A SHIFTING FEEL LEFT TO RIGHT
LEFT SEAT TRACK ASSY IS CAUSING THIS CONCERN.
WE HAVE A SEAT TRACK ASSY ORDERED FOR THIS VEHICLE FOR REPLACEMENT.

(sorry if this is dumb comment, but I think ASSY = assembly)

I am going in for replacement sometime shortly I guess. I hope it will fix my shift. Unlike most of you, however, my shifts are from side to side... but then again, it doesn't mean that I don't have the problem during breaking/accelerating either.

But anyway, stay tuned for my response after repair. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Racer

they have replaced mine twice----it is better but not perfect----good enough for now
Old 04-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Master in Science

Originally posted by katya424
Hi all - I had a new seat put in, and for a month, it was OK. Now, I'm getting the seat shift - forward and side to side on turns. So even if you think it's fixed.... just wait. Sorry folks - what is NHTSA? National Highway Traffic Safety? Just a guess... Also, how did they find out about this? I have quite a long story about my seat drama!
Yep, you can also file a complaint online and they'll call you after more info.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

There were a couple complaints already when I filed mine. Seems important...
Old 04-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Advanced

I noticed this in my 3 week old TSX. I could wiggle the seat about 1/2 inch forward after noticing it move forward a bit when I stopped. I moved the seat a bit and it seems to not move now. I will definitely mention it to the dealer.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:22 AM
TSX-Black Bolt

Mine is doing it now, but only sometimes.
So is broken only sometimes?
Old 04-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Master in Science

Originally posted by forestsoft
No, if it's moving, it needs adjustment. I'm finally taking the car to the dealer this Friday, 300 miles away. Stupid Acura dealer.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Same here acura rep is looking at it tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by forestsoft
When I talked to the service mgr at my dealer he thought that 9 or ten people on this forum was a miniscule number compared to overall sales but how about compared to the number of people signed up on the forum - say 50 - that is a signifigant number and the range is from California to Canada to Florida - I'd say they have a major flaw that needs to be addressed
Old 04-28-2004, 11:04 AM
TSX-Black Bolt

Here is a link to file a complaint with the NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation.
If there are enough complaints...maybe that may raise some concerned with ACURA...

So let’s start complaining...file a complaint on this web site.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 04-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Intermediate

Re: Seat moves forward under hard braking

Originally posted by PacNWtsx
Has anyone experienced the driver seat moving forward under hard braking? My seat moves a good inch forward when I stop fast. Actually I can sit in the seat and get it to move forward. Have taken it to the dealer twice... they have a new seat rail and mech on order.
Another thread about seat shifting.hmm There's one exaclty like it on the main page about 15 threads down. It also list confirmed fixes.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Well the acura rep looked at the seat today....at first he said that the seat did'nt move....then he said it moved a little....at the end of it all they said it was normal for the seat to move 1/4". It sometimes moves more....but today it did'nt seem so bad. I am not happy.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Instructor

BTW this problem caused my wife to bump into the back of a van. The seat slide forward under hard braking then when it slide back her foot came off the brake. They say BS I say FU
Old 04-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Advanced

My 2000 TL's seat did NOT move. My TSX has - they like that "they all do that" excuse don't they? No seat should move like that, even slightly. It is not comfortable and is annoying and should a quality car like an Acura have this problem and annoyance? AND it has already caused an accident. Have your wife report that accident to the website posted here, and call the 800 number for Acura tech support on their site.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by LurchTSX
BTW this problem caused my wife to bump into the back of a van. The seat slide forward under hard braking then when it slide back her foot came off the brake. They say BS I say FU
Not to defend Acura for an obvious design flaw with the seat rails, but I don't understand how your wife's situation could have happened. I assume she was performing a panic stop to avoid the van but the seat would only slide back when she stopped braking so even if her foot did come off the pedal, she should have already been stopped...no?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Dan Martin
Not to defend Acura for an obvious design flaw with the seat rails, but I don't understand how your wife's situation could have happened. I assume she was performing a panic stop to avoid the van but the seat would only slide back when she stopped braking so even if her foot did come off the pedal, she should have already been stopped...no?
Automatics roll forward if your foot is off the brake duh - is hers auto?
You know why we now have interlock that forces one to put on the brake before going from park to drive? Because ONE woman did not have the sense to put her brake on like any driver would know, got in an accident and tried to BLAME the car. So our nanny government forced the interlock on auto trans on auto makers and the clutch never used to have to be depressed to start a stick either. I have not tried it but can a stick still be push started?
Old 04-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Instructor

6 spd....there is something called inertia folks!!!!! Also if her foot came off the clutch as well, that may have been a factor. it was a right turn lane merge from a stop light (like a highway ramp). If you stop quickly then release the brake the car will carry forward.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:35 PM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shit

i took mine to my dealer
they told me it's NORMAL....

going to take it to another dealer tomorrow
Old 04-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Intermediate

moving driver seat

My TSX is one year old and I've noticed that problem too...
My seat moves forward about one inch when I brake fairly hard and it moves a bit left when I turn right...
It's annoying more than anything else unless one day something breaks and the seat really moves forward all the way as the safety belt tightens and/or the air bags go off...
Glad to hear I'm not alone with this problem...
I will report it to the NHTSA and to my dealer in case there's a tech bulletin & fix from Acura...

That's the only problem I've noticed on this car...
Old 04-30-2004, 12:47 AM
such a dirty birdy

I got my sliding seat fixed finally last week. The dealer replaced parts 3 times on it.

First repair:
Part# 81510-SDB-A71 DEVICE
This is the rails the the seat moves fwd/back on. Replacing this fixed the "grinding" problem, but not the sliding.

Second repair:
Part# 81526-SDB-A73 SEAT
This is the entire recliner (seat back). Replacing it made the sliding worse (!).

Third repair:
Part# 81536-SDB-A71 FRAME
(I think) This is the actual seat base that bolts to the floor. This is the repair that fixed the problem.

NeoChaser, it is NOT NORMAL. It can be fixed, many of us here have had it done now.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Master in Science

Took the car to the dealer Friday anf complained about the sliding problem on turns. They had the car for 60 minutes and called me back saying it was ready. When I picked it up, the form said they tightened the seat hardware, but could not replicate the problem. I wasn't very happy about it and went for a quick drive to verify what "tightning" the seat did. Sure enough, the problem went away. I'm happy!

They gave me a brand new RSX as loaner; which had 3,200 miles. I like the TSX better!
Old 05-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Master in Science

I take back what I said. Took a couple of hard turns today and noticed the seat move again. :'(

And I won't be near a dealership again until end of May. Argh!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

I just got mine back from it's 10k and they replaced the track. Part number was 81510-sdb-a72. Seems to work so far so good.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Cruisin'

not only have i noticed the seat moving up during hard braking, ive also noticed that whenever i lean back on the seat i hear n feel a loose spring on my lower back which is gettin me real annoyed. has anyone noticed similar problems?
Old 05-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Cruisin'

Seat play

My TSX was in the shop 13 days for the seat problem. They actually outsourced it to a trim shop and replaced left side seat bottom seat frame and replaced seat track. I don't have the part number but it is one of the few things they (actually the vendor so the dealer didn't do jack) fixed.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Master in Science

Originally posted by jdm_ack
not only have i noticed the seat moving up during hard braking, ive also noticed that whenever i lean back on the seat i hear n feel a loose spring on my lower back which is gettin me real annoyed. has anyone noticed similar problems?
Some people did. Run a search for the solution.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Cruisin'

not yet
Old 03-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Advanced

hey.. thats happening to my seat.. but because i dint buy it from an acura dealer.. can i still take it there and get it serviced under warranty? i got it from a differnt dealership... how long did it take for you guys to get it serviced.... because around here they wont let me get a loaner car because im only 17.. around here you have to be 21 to get a loaner car.....
Old 03-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WheaMyRyceGo
hey.. thats happening to my seat.. but because i dint buy it from an acura dealer.. can i still take it there and get it serviced under warranty? i got it from a differnt dealership... how long did it take for you guys to get it serviced.... because around here they wont let me get a loaner car because im only 17.. around here you have to be 21 to get a loaner car.....
The front to back seems to be more of an 04 problem. My 05 shifts left to right when i turn really hard. I brought it into the dealer and they ordered new rails no questions asked. Took about a week to come in. However... i did install the RSB before they came in though. So the seat actualyl didn't shift because there was no body roll. But they already reproduced the problem so it was replaced.

I think the Acura factory warranty is supposed to be good for 4 years 50k miles or something like that. If yuo're within the period, just goto the dealer. They'll just take it out for a drive, verify the problem, then order the parts. It may take longer for them to install it though.

Trade cars with your parents for the day? let them have the loaner and you drive their car?
Old 03-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, it took some time but, I've got the shifting seat too. I had to nail the brakes hard twice yesterday and both times the driver's seat shifted forward what felt like about 1/2"-1". Annoying? Yes. Will I get it fixed? Yes. But, is this a safety hazard? Do you guys think I can wait till my next scheduled service (early May)?

Quick Reply: Seat moves forward under hard braking