Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:30 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Ticking Noise

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to AZine, but I'm pretty active on . Anywho, I was wondering if anyone has had issues similar to this.

My '04 has started to develop a ticking noise that has gotten progressively worse over the past couple days. It sounds like a combination of injector clicking and something else that is a much deeper sound. It doesn't seem to get better after the car warms up either, but I could be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAVUggtNOjs

Here's a video I took of the problem. It was taken after the car was up to driving temperature.

I was just wondering if anyone else on here has experienced similar problems and if so, what you have done to resolve it.

-Tony
Old 04-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Yea, that does not sound right. Sounds like a "poker card stuck in bike spokes" kind of noise. How many miles do you have? How's the condition of the drive belt?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by PACman
Yea, that does not sound right. Sounds like a "poker card stuck in bike spokes" kind of noise. How many miles do you have? How's the condition of the drive belt?
The car's got 72k on it. I'm the third owner, so I can't say how the car has been maintained prior to me owning it.

All the belts look good. The weird thing is the performance of the car hasn't been affected at all by this. It still pulls nice and hard, no CEL, no shaking, nothing else out of the ordinary at all, actually...

I had previously taken it to a shop to get it diagnosed and they seem to think there is a chipped tooth on the transmission (it's an AT). I would think that if that were the case I'd notice something other than just a noise...
Old 04-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Not necessarily... a single chipped tooth on a flywheel or in the transmission shouldn't affect performance but may make a noise. Now, where the chip went is another story, if indeed there is a chipped tooth somewhere.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Though I'm no expert, it could be a valve, but..... I think you'll find it's the AC getting ready to sh*t the bed. And there's only one belt by the way.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm I actually have a very similar sound on my '04 with 82K kms and it is there when the car has warmed up. When the engine is cold, there is another sound from the drive belt area which is an intermittent noise which sounds like an unoiled bearing. Like the OP, the car runs perfectly fine except for this noise...I'm interested to hear what everyone has to say/what the issue turns out to be.

P.S.: The ticking sound on mine isn't quite as evident but there is certainly ticking going on. I wonder if normal TSXs have some level of ticking?

Last edited by enzojr; 04-04-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:00 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by enzojr
Hmmm I actually have a very similar sound on my '04 with 82K kms and it is there when the car has warmed up. When the engine is cold, there is another sound from the drive belt area which is an intermittent noise which sounds like an unoiled bearing. Like the OP, the car runs perfectly fine except for this noise...I'm interested to hear what everyone has to say/what the issue turns out to be.

P.S.: The ticking sound on mine isn't quite as evident but there is certainly ticking going on. I wonder if normal TSXs have some level of ticking?
Your noise sounds like the AC compressor too; you may be hearing it cycle on and off. I'm pretty sure that some level of valvetrain noise is normal. Both my 05 and 07 have a slight ticking noise when idling. I can't decide if it's the AC compressor or valvetrain, but I'm not worried about it. And.... I had the valves of the 05 adjusted at 110K miles (per recommended maintenance) though they weren't noisy. They're actually a little louder now then they were before, so.... guess I should have left well enough alone. Your car is pretty low mileage (around 50K miles), so I'd be surprised if it was the valvetrain.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Most cars, and especially Hondas, have some level of fuel injector noise. I find that Hondas/Acuras have significant injector noise and this can often be mistaken for valve chatter. If any of you have a stethescope, stick the probe near the injector base and you'll definitely hear it. Its normal, though!

Usually valve chatter will get quieter as the engine warms up, being the loudest when cold starting in the morning. This is due to the metal having not had the chance to expand yet and lessen the clearance. But a noise that stays pretty much constant whether the engine is hot or cold, and is coming from the valve cover / injector area, is almost guaranteed to be the injectors happily ticking away.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:26 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the reassurance guys!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Intermediate

seems like you need valve adjustment
Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 AM
I can divide by zero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree with valve adjustment. The TSX (well, almost all K-series engines) also tend to have weak timing chain tensioner. This isn't that big of an issue unless your vehicle has experienced some sort of major oil loss or starvation.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 PM
4th Gear

maybe it is the fly wheel

My 05 tsx is having the same problem, only when the car is in park or in neutrul will it make the same exact ticking sound. Once the car is in drive it goes away. I'm not really sure but maybe it is the fly wheel.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
'05 MDX doing the same thing

Hi All,

I'm experiencing the same ticking sound in my 2005 MDX. I had it in for it's 75k mile warranty work and asked them to look for the ticking sound. They have concluded that it is one or more of the injectors.

What I have noticed is that the ticking is only when the engine is NOT under load. At idle with the air conditioner off, and the ticking is there. Rev it, put it in gear, or turn on the air and the ticking goes away. So my conclusion is the same; the culprit is the injectors and once they get a sufficient amount of pressure, they quiet down.

Thoughts? Dissension?

Dan
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
10th Gear

Hey all,

Revivng this thread.. I have a ticking sound as well, well actually mine kinda sounds like a chain that follows the rythme of my engine idle/revs.. It was less aparant at first but now it seems to do it all the time on idle.

As soon as there is loud or I tap the gas it goes away and comes back again at idle. Also if I use no gas and let out the clutch pedal (the rpm's dropping below rpm idle) it gets louder..

I have 6 MT 04 tsx.

Anyone figure this out?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
10th Gear

Hey all,

Revivng this thread.. I have a ticking sound as well, well actually mine kinda sounds like a chain that follows the rythme of my engine idle/revs.. It was less aparant at first but now it seems to do it all the time on idle.

As soon as there is loud or I tap the gas it goes away and comes back again at idle. Also if I use no gas and let out the clutch pedal (the rpm's dropping below rpm idle) it gets louder..

I have 6 MT 04 tsx.

Anyone figure this out?

My sound can also only be heard from the inside of the car and it seems to come from the driver's side??
Old 03-24-2014, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

Cool Ticking and whinning sound

I own an 04 acura tl with a ticking sound as well. I also had a whinning noise that sounded like the power steering pump. It didn't matter whether I was parked, reversing or driving, when I press the gas petal the noise increased. I replaced the power steering pump because Acura checked my vehicle and told me that in order to fix the whinning noise I needed to replace the power steering pump. Well I replaced it and I will no longer take my car to Inskip Acura! They miss diagnosed the problem. I thought that if I took my Acura Tl to Acura that they would know about their own vehicle and that was a big waste of money and time. The whining noise was the a/c compressor. Impressively my mechanic figured that out with a flat head screw driver. Now I took it to Acura, an expensive $120.00 an hour and they over charge on parts and labor! So the whining noise that Acura them selves could not figure out, is now gone. The ticking sound I will go to my mechanic and get it checked, when I get the chance. I don't care what anyone on this says. An acura is a luxury vehicle! It is not supposed to make a ticking sound unless something is wrong or you have the a/c running and your compressor is going. I owned two Acuras and so far my current one has 181,000 on it. Go test drive an Acura and tell me if you hear a ticking?! Trust me, you will not! If you own an Acura that makes noises and you dont keep up with maintenance and don't care. Then maybe you should've purchased an American vehicle!!!! My Acura is ten years old and other than the low ticking sound, that for some reason only I can hear. It drives and sounds brand new. Ps. I order all my parts online because Acura over charges.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Cruisin'

The timing chain tensioner was weak on my 2.4 tsx. It caused slack in the chain and wore the chain guides and the timing jumped. Has to do a valve job (it bent some valves)with new chains, guides, and tensioner. Not much fun to do. It did make noise for a few weeks so I guess it was my bad. Had 112K when it happend. Sounded very much like the sound in the video.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by myRice
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to AZine, but I'm pretty active on . Anywho, I was wondering if anyone has had issues similar to this.

My '04 has started to develop a ticking noise that has gotten progressively worse over the past couple days. It sounds like a combination of injector clicking and something else that is a much deeper sound. It doesn't seem to get better after the car warms up either, but I could be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAVUggtNOjs

Here's a video I took of the problem. It was taken after the car was up to driving temperature.

I was just wondering if anyone else on here has experienced similar problems and if so, what you have done to resolve it.

-Tony
Sounds like timing chain/timing chain tensioner is about to do some expensive damage.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
You can eliminate items driven by accessory belt, by removing accessory belt and starting engine. If noise is absent, then one of the components; PS Pump, Alternator, AC bearing, water pump, or tensioner idler is at fault.

If one of above is problem, you will need to use a stethoscope or long screwdriver (very carefully!) to find the noise source.

If noise remains, then timing chain needs to be inspected for looseness (big job).

good luck
Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It sounds like my next door neighbor's Ducati