AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TSX Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/)
-   -   Replacement Cooling Fan (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/replacement-cooling-fan-980629/)

npolite 06-29-2019 10:56 AM

Replacement Cooling Fan

Hi All,

Yesterday my temp gauge started increasing while the A/C was on. I shut off the A/C and the temp went back to normal. When I got home I noticed that the driver's side fan wasn't spinning. From reading the service manual it's the cooling fan and not the A/C condenser fan. I assume Honda has put a fail safe that if one dies the other takes over?

In any case I swapped the relays first to see if that was the issue, still same problem. I took out the radiator cooling fan and got alligator clips to hook it directly to the battery, it didn't spin up. So my question is since the OEM fan is around $300 is it worth getting that over an after market one? The only fan on Amazon TYC which has a few reviews mentions that the fan is noticeably louder over the OEM. Does anyone have a recommendation of an after market manufacture or should I go with the OEM one? RockAuto has a few and Autozone carries the Dorman but I've heard bad things about Dorman.

Thanks

TexasHonda 06-29-2019 11:08 AM

You could purchase replacement motor and use original fan and shroud. Check rockauto, ebay, amazon for best price.

good luck

npolite 06-29-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 16446335)
You could purchase replacement motor and use original fan and shroud. Check rockauto, ebay, amazon for best price.

good luck

Wouldn't the noise level be an issue with the fan and not the shroud though?

Jottle 07-01-2019 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by npolite (Post 16446350)
Wouldn't the noise level be an issue with the fan and not the shroud though?

Just went through this exact same dilemma. I ended up just getting a replacement non-oem fan/motor, not sure manufacturer. Even if you just buy the motor and use the Acura oem fan shroud, it'll still cost you more than replacing both fans (!) with aftermarket shrouds and motors! The oem driver's side fan motor is crazy expensive.

So besides the terrible install job the shop I took it to did (breaking a bunch of clips), the aftermarket fan doesn't appear to be any louder than oem in my memory. Though you want to be sure that the new fan is seated properly and tied down with all the bolts. That driver's side fan causes a ton of vibration in the steering wheel when parked or when brake applied in drive (sitting at standstill). I found that the aftermarket fan created slightly more vibration in the cabin, but it was like $90 vs. $300 for oem. So good tradeoff I guess. You really won't know if Dorman or TYC will be perceptibly louder, unfortunately, until you get it in the car. My guess is that it shouldn't be much given that these are made from scans of the original oem parts. However, your most guaranteed but most costly replacement is to go oem honda motor with original fan shroud. That motor is a huuuuuuuge ripoff compared to the passenger side fan's motor, unfortunately.

npolite 07-02-2019 06:16 AM

Yep I do realize that the OEM motor is a ripoff. I ordered a Doorman and it will be arriving today. I had two clips crumble on me as I took them out. I wouldn't blame the shop for those because it's just the UV rays/heat/cold that breaks these down from the years. I always have a ton of these I get from Amazon/Ebay for replacements as I know they will break.

Worst case if I don't like it, I bought it from Amazon and will return. Then pay the OEM tax.

Jottle 07-02-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by npolite (Post 16447300)
Yep I do realize that the OEM motor is a ripoff. I ordered a Doorman and it will be arriving today. I had two clips crumble on me as I took them out. I wouldn't blame the shop for those because it's just the UV rays/heat/cold that breaks these down from the years. I always have a ton of these I get from Amazon/Ebay for replacements as I know they will break.

Worst case if I don't like it, I bought it from Amazon and will return. Then pay the OEM tax.

Please post back and let us know how it worked out! My shop was a POS. They didn't break clips, they broke \ tabs on the radiator fan housing and a tab that holds the fan wiring harness in place. I had to zip tie everything together because there was no way to secure it otherwise. Places that do that kind of damage and look at it and go "It's fine, this customer won't notice," deserve to go out of business overnight. You can tell I'm still bitter :)

npolite 07-03-2019 03:57 PM

The cooling fan was delayed a day but I got it installed and everything fit as expected. I can't notice a difference in the noise level. As long as this doesn't die in a year or two I will be happy with the aftermarket fan.