Removing LCA bolt from suspension fork. How?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Removing LCA bolt from suspension fork. How?

So in trying to replace my drivers' side axle, I ran into a roadblock -- the long flange bolt that goes through the lower control arm bushing (between the lower fork mount holes) is completely seized into the metal sleeve within the bushing.

As a result, I cannot remove the fork from the lower control arm, and because of that, I can't change my axle. I am assuming that the passenger side is the same and I do need to change that axle as well.

Does anyone have a trick to remove the bolt from this bushing? I put a TON of force on it and it just twists the rubber in the bushing. I tried my impact on max and it didn't budge. (I have the nut off already, its simply the bolt that's completely seized). I tried heating the bolt head with my propane torch and it didn't help. Penetrating oil didn't help. I hammered the hell out of the other end of the bolt, to try to push it out, and it didn't work either.

I am guessing I'll need to remove the entire lower control arm and suspension (shock) fork, and bring it to a shop to have them cut the bolts off and press out the old bushing and put a new one in? And I'd assume that'll be $$$$$. I am just hoping I don't run into a similar problem with any of the bolts on the lower control arm or I'm completely f'd.

Any suggestions before I disassemble half of my front suspension (and on both sides of the car)?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Almost Doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heating the bolt will only cause expansion of the bolt. What you want to do is heat the metal sleeve that sits inside the bushing (try not to start the bushing on fire) and avoid heating the bolt. This will cause the sleeve to expand and hopefully separate the metals.

This has happened to me countless times but a little penetrating lube and some heat has always sufficed.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think heating the sleeve will be next to impossible - it's really tight in there and I doubt it'd be able to get hot enough without burning the rubber bushing.

I've been told on other forums that I should just burn the rubber out, cut the bolt with a grinder, and have a new bushing pressed in. The only problem there is that I just know that with my luck I'll have the same thing happen to the other LCA bushings. argh.

Then again one guy online said placing the new bushing in the deep freezer for a day or two beforehand will allow the new bushing (now smaller thanks to "shrinkage") to be pushed into the LCA pretty easily without use of a press. Apparently it's been done many times (by this one guy). Worth a try I guess...