Radiator needs to be replaced, easy fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 01:21 PM
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Radiator needs to be replaced, easy fix?

Well my '05 5AT got the dreaded slow coolant leak along the top of my radiator where the top it crimps in with the radiator. I'm just shy of 137k.

I plan on DIY'ing this repair. Anything I should know about before digging into it? it seems like a fairly straight forward. I plan on getting a Denso replacement from rockauto. How much coolant do I need to replace the system with?

Also, while looking at my radiator while it was idling, I noticed only my passenger fan was kicking on and not my drivers side. is this normal? or do i also need to replace my fan ass'y as well?
The following users liked this post:
npolite (07-13-2023)
Old 02-05-2016, 10:02 AM
7th Gear

Updating this thread. I got around to replacing the radiator today, couple of notes for anyone needing to replace theirs:

-I got my radiator from Rock Auto for $77. It's a Denso brand which is what the dealer also sells as a replacement, but it is far more expensive though the dealer(I believe over $250). Also replace the cap (few dollars)

-Replace all radiator hoses and clamps. I picked up both upper and lower radiator hoses for $15 though Rock Auto.

Here's where you will need to get parts from the dealer...

-You will need at minimum to replace the O-ring to the lower rad hose quick connect, and o-ring to the temp sensor switch.

Part #'s

91307-PN3-000 - Honda O-Ring for temp sensor

19507-RAA-A01 - Honda O-ring for quick connect

I found that my lower rad hose quick connect was an absolute bear to remove. I was finally able to remove it by cutting the lower hose and pulling HARD on it while the radiator was out of the engine bay. Mine checked out to be in good shape and only replaced the O-ring, But I would highly recommend getting a new one for peace of mind. This part is only available through the dealer. When re-installing, don't forget to douse the quick connect end with a little bit of fresh coolant so it slips onto the radiator nozzle a little easier.

19503-RAA-A01 - LOWER HOSE CONNECTOR

Don't forget to refill and burp the system with Type II coolant.

Hope this advice helps someone!
The following 3 users liked this post by luconi_MA:
louislagerfeld (05-07-2016), netsx04 (10-03-2016), npolite (07-13-2023)
Old 10-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What brand radiator cap did you use? I picked up a Denso 221-3236 radiator and ACDelco 12R19 radiator cap. I tried to screw the cap onto the radiator but it didn't seem to fit (lip on cap didn't engage with radiator). I will try it again when I get home tonight, but I wanted to know what experience other people had with their radiator and radiator cap.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,659 Likes on 6,683 Posts
get an OEM Honda cap
Old 10-03-2016, 12:43 PM
7th Gear

I went with a Stant brand radiator cap.

Originally Posted by thoiboi
get an OEM Honda cap
Or that would work well too.