Power Steering Rack Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Rack Leak

Hello all,

im new to this forum, decided to seek some advice or look to see if anyone else has problems with their Power Steering. I own a 2006 TSX. Purchased used in December 2015 from a Acura Dealership. It had 54k miles on it with one previous owner who purchased and returned to same dealership. Upon purchasing they informed me all the services had been done there and that that aside from oil change the only thing they had to do before selling was to install a new PS rack because the old one was leaking.

Currently, 7 months later, I lost all power steering on the highway, almost went off the road and it is back in the dealership for what they found to be another leaking power steering rack. The car now at 60k miles is on its 3rd power steering rack, is this a common problem? Thankfully the dealership is taking care of the repair costs while I'm cruising around in a 16 MDX thinking I should upgrade 😄 Seriously though, should I be concerned out these issues with the PS reoccurring? Is there anything that can be inadvertently causing it?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:51 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
A common problem? Yes.

Common enough to expect 3 in 60k miles? No.

Was the last replacement new or rebuilt? Maybe you just got a bad unit.

Also, I've never experienced total instantaneous failure from a fluid leak. Normally they slowly seep. Did a seal instantly blow out?
Old 09-03-2016, 12:44 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happened to mine. It was a slow leak that resulted in a slower failure, but the rack did fail.

If this happens again, get the dealer to get the factory to give you some "support" on another replacement. It's a weak spot on these and they are aware.

Originally Posted by Nathan Jay Larsen
Hello all,

im new to this forum, decided to seek some advice or look to see if anyone else has problems with their Power Steering. I own a 2006 TSX. Purchased used in December 2015 from a Acura Dealership. It had 54k miles on it with one previous owner who purchased and returned to same dealership. Upon purchasing they informed me all the services had been done there and that that aside from oil change the only thing they had to do before selling was to install a new PS rack because the old one was leaking.

Currently, 7 months later, I lost all power steering on the highway, almost went off the road and it is back in the dealership for what they found to be another leaking power steering rack. The car now at 60k miles is on its 3rd power steering rack, is this a common problem? Thankfully the dealership is taking care of the repair costs while I'm cruising around in a 16 MDX thinking I should upgrade 😄 Seriously though, should I be concerned out these issues with the PS reoccurring? Is there anything that can be inadvertently causing it?
Old 09-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I wonder if anybody does a rebuild that addresses the weaknesses.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I also have this issue ever since around 90k Miles, I have 130k miles now, and the leak is very small, it leaks out to the right inner tie rod boot. I just top off with OEM PS fluid every other oil change. Leak is really not a lot. Would this cause an issue? The inner tie rod where the leak side is coming from is also loose, it has a play when you move the wheel from left to right.

If I just change out the inner tie rod, would it help? My symptoms are wheel vibrations on high speed, 65+mph , but I attribute this to the inner cv joints that is a known issue.

What symptoms can exist when you have an inner tie rod loose or worn?
Old 09-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Vibration, pull, worn tires are likely. Inner tie rod BJ can be replaced but it's a challenge due to access (tight space).

good luck
Old 09-12-2016, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
^^ Thanks. I think I will just be doing the inner tie rod and axle vibration issue with the OEM Remanufactured ones, they come up cheaper than changing out the inner cv joint. I am not ready to do a PS rack replacement, since it is kind of a big job.