Passenger Airbag Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Passenger Airbag Replacement

so im the current owner of a tsx 2004 5at, and recently my passenger airbag poped. What happened? a school bus suddendly stop right after a green light to drop some kids off, and here in montreal by law you have to stop no matter what. As i tried to brake(going like 15 km/h) the abs kicks in for some reason and the brakes jams....i end up bumping into the car in from on me and ONLY my passenger airbag pops out, my seat belt still works, everything else is fine.

the car in front didn't have any dent or scrap and i got a popd airbag and a dent/scrapd paint on my front bumper. It seems like the metal bar that sits behind the bumper got squished(more like hit with a small hammer, nothing major).

i tried to call the acura canada and they said that it wasnt a default that only the passenger airbag popd and i might of have exactly hit where the sensor is sitting and blah blah blah, i asked to bring my car in for inspection and they still denied it.

the dealership was going to charge me something like 6k to replace all the airbags, all the sensors, the seat belt, the sensor computer, the whole dashboard(cause when the passenger pops, you lose your dashboard since theres a hole coming out of it) and few other items.

didn't want to pay that price, so i went to a garage that specialize in acuras and hondas, they estimated around 2k for the same thing but with items coming from scrapyards.

and here is my question, is it possible to replace only the passenger airbag yourself, along with the sensors needed + a new dashboard. since everything else is fine i dont see why i would have to replace the whole kit. The airbag system goes off after something pop as i read somewhere in this forum. im very tight on budget since im still a student. Willing to do it myself if that saves money

thanks
Dave

Last edited by Davu; 12-11-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bump, anyone? anything?
Old 12-29-2011, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the time when you buy a used dashboard it will come with the airbag already attached to it. And yes it is possible to replace it yourself, but it will take a lot of time. If the used dashboard does not match the old color you can always dye it to the color you like.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guys, does anyone know how to take off the dash board? i am saving some money by just having the guy install the passenger airbag and i put the dash back in place.

I unscrewed all the screws in front, plus i took out the center console( the radio and air controls)....NOW IM JUST STUCK!