Paint Problems along the Sunroof - under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paint Problems along the Sunroof - under warranty?

So I was outside today, glancing at the roof of the car, and I noticed that the seam of paint around the sunroof is peeling right off. It's a clean peel, so it wasn't a rock chip or anything like that. The part that is peeling appears to be getting rusted.

I'm wondering, will the dealership fix this for me? Or am I out of luck? It's gonna be a horrible problem, and I have only had the car for 1.5 years....29,000 miles. We take very good care of the car, washing, waxing, etc. There is no reason this should have happened other than a paint defect.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:52 PM
still plays with cars

Originally Posted by bradykp
So I was outside today, glancing at the roof of the car, and I noticed that the seam of paint around the sunroof is peeling right off. It's a clean peel, so it wasn't a rock chip or anything like that. The part that is peeling appears to be getting rusted.

I'm wondering, will the dealership fix this for me? Or am I out of luck? It's gonna be a horrible problem, and I have only had the car for 1.5 years....29,000 miles. We take very good care of the car, washing, waxing, etc. There is no reason this should have happened other than a paint defect.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?
This is a warranty issue; let the dealer fix it. Sounds like the factory metal prep
didn't; the area was not properly degreased before the primer/color/clear process.
I hope this is an isolated problem. What are the last 4 VIN digits ? Mine is around
6500 (I think).
Old 07-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by nbtx
This is a warranty issue; let the dealer fix it. Sounds like the factory metal prep
didn't; the area was not properly degreased before the primer/color/clear process.
I hope this is an isolated problem. What are the last 4 VIN digits ? Mine is around
6500 (I think).

0671 of the 2006 with Navi is the last 4 of my VIN
Old 07-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Still Lovin my 06

6500 (I think).
update:

service manager says the factory rep has to inspect it. manager says it looks like the roof is bent, and asked if i've been in an accident. not looking good.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats just gay
Old 07-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Pro

ask him if his eyes are bent!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does the roof look bent to you or is the dealer just trying to weasel his way out?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
does the roof look bent to you or is the dealer just trying to weasel his way out?
well, if you look at it, the corner on the exterior towards the rear passenger side of the car, the sunroof does not sit flush against the roof. so it probably is bent. this has been like this since day 1 though, and i never noticed it as an issue until i saw bubbled and peeled paint. no way to prove though.

i would imaging there would be some sign of impact on the car though if the roof was bent, otherwise, it'd be apparent that it came from the factory that way.

if the roof is bent....then what the heck do they do? you can't fix a roof on a warranty repair can you?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:15 AM
still plays with cars

well, if you look at it, the corner on the exterior towards the rear passenger side of the car, the sunroof does not sit flush against the roof. so it probably is bent. this has been like this since day 1 though, and i never noticed it as an issue until i saw bubbled and peeled paint. no way to prove though.

i would imaging there would be some sign of impact on the car though if the roof was bent, otherwise, it'd be apparent that it came from the factory that way.

if the roof is bent....then what the heck do they do? you can't fix a roof on a warranty repair can you?
The car may have been damaged in transit and repaired before you bought it.
Whatever happened, the paint is defective and the dealer must make it right.
Be firm and don't take no for an answer.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Still Lovin my 06

The car may have been damaged in transit and repaired before you bought it.
Whatever happened, the paint is defective and the dealer must make it right.
Be firm and don't take no for an answer.
so i looked at the sunroof again, while waiting for the dealer to get back to me with when the factory service representative can look at it....

three corners of roof that outlines the sunroof are dented. the one with the paint chipping is the most severe dent. it's hard to capture in a picture, but i am furious. if acura doesn't do something to make this right, i've lost a lot of faith in them as a company. this is my first new car, so my first experiences with all this, and i really don't know how to not take no for an answer. if they say they won't do it because it was damaged after i picked it up, how to i prove otherwise? how do i make them prove that?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you are stuck in a bad situation. I would have to say it is too late for you to take this up with Acura. Since they can correlate the paint chipping to the dents, there is no way they can say the paint is going bad and cover it under warranty. Also, since you have owned the car for over a year, there is no way Acura can know that you didn't cause the dents. For all they know, they showed you the car when you picked it up, you inspected it, approved, and drove it off their lot. What happens thereafter is not their concern anymore (unless it is a warranty related issue).
Old 08-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
Sounds like you are stuck in a bad situation. I would have to say it is too late for you to take this up with Acura. Since they can correlate the paint chipping to the dents, there is no way they can say the paint is going bad and cover it under warranty. Also, since you have owned the car for over a year, there is no way Acura can know that you didn't cause the dents. For all they know, they showed you the car when you picked it up, you inspected it, approved, and drove it off their lot. What happens thereafter is not their concern anymore (unless it is a warranty related issue).
to make a sunroof, they have to cut the roof. so structurally, if they screwed up the welding after cutting the hole, that would cause the supports to collapse, causing these three dents.

the dents could not possibly be tied to any sort of damage. you'd have to see them to see what i mean, but there is nothing that could have fell in these spots and dented the roof without doing some serious scratching of the sunroof or scratching of the roof.

the paint is literally peeling along the seem. now that i have the car clean, i'll try and get some good pictures to show. but i am absolutely furious and i am going to raise hell with acura and send letters into any magazine that reviews quality of cars. this is ridiculous, not to mention that the paint is crap overall to begin with!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
to make a sunroof, they have to cut the roof. so structurally, if they screwed up the welding after cutting the hole, that would cause the supports to collapse, causing these three dents.

the dents could not possibly be tied to any sort of damage. you'd have to see them to see what i mean, but there is nothing that could have fell in these spots and dented the roof without doing some serious scratching of the sunroof or scratching of the roof.

the paint is literally peeling along the seem. now that i have the car clean, i'll try and get some good pictures to show. but i am absolutely furious and i am going to raise hell with acura and send letters into any magazine that reviews quality of cars. this is ridiculous, not to mention that the paint is crap overall to begin with!
Not really the case. The opening is made in the panel when the roof is stamped. By nature there's a little metal distorsion at the corners of the stamped opening. Mine has it, as does every other Honda I've seen (most noticeable on dark colors).

Has your car been in a front or rear end collision? It's not uncommon for the roof to get tweaked from an impact somewhere else on the car, as impact stresses travel through the entire car and the roof is a fairly flimsy panel. If not and you can prove it (best way is to verify all of the VIN stickers are in place on the inside of the bumper skins, front fenders, doors, deck lid etc) I'd think Honda/Acura would step up and do paint repair to the roof.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by poltergeist
Not really the case. The opening is made in the panel when the roof is stamped. By nature there's a little metal distorsion at the corners of the stamped opening. Mine has it, as does every other Honda I've seen (most noticeable on dark colors).

Has your car been in a front or rear end collision? It's not uncommon for the roof to get tweaked from an impact somewhere else on the car, as impact stresses travel through the entire car and the roof is a fairly flimsy panel. If not and you can prove it (best way is to verify all of the VIN stickers are in place on the inside of the bumper skins, front fenders, doors, deck lid etc) I'd think Honda/Acura would step up and do paint repair to the roof.
three people on my block have TSXs and theirs don't have the distortion on the corners of the sunroof. also, one corner on mine is significantly worse than the others, and one corner is fine. there has been no impact to the car at all, i park in a garage at home, so nothing falls on it when it's stationary.

it's not just the paint damage, i think something is structurally wrong with the roof. there's no reason for 3 corners to be dented like it is.