Overheats, radiator fan doesn't turn on 08 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 09:00 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheats, radiator fan doesn't turn on 08 TSX

hey all.

I'm running into an odd issue. At first, the "check emissions systems" light came on, on top of all the other shit that's going on, but after I added coolant, it no longer does.

Now, the car overheats and the radiator fan doesn't turn on. The condenser fan turns on when the ac is running. Also, I spun the radiator fan manually myself and it kind of jump started on... and the car seemed to be doing fine for a few minutes. But then I remembered it overheated more when it wasn't, in park, so I reversed and drove forward and it started to overheat again. The radiator fan was off again.

oh, also, my radiator cap is broken, but I'm not sure how that plays into this at all. I will replace it but I want to prioritize getting whatever's happening fixed.

Im thinking it's either a thermostat issue or some sort of issue with the fan or wiring. What's the best way to diagnose what it is quickly? Thank you all
Old 05-31-2017, 11:12 PM
7th Gear

Fuck my life, now a piece of the radiator cap is stuck in the radiator. I'm probably going to have to disconnect and reconnect the radiator tomorrow now using all of the time I have after work
Old 06-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Worn out brushes on radiator fan are likely. Check Amazon and ebay for inexpensive replacements. A new cooling system thermostat may be necessary also.

good
Old 06-01-2017, 12:29 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Worn out brushes on radiator fan are likely. Check Amazon and ebay for inexpensive replacements. A new cooling system thermostat may be necessary also.

good
how do I know whether I need a new thermostat or not? And how do I know it's not a diff issue with the fan? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Fan is toast since bumping reseated worn brushes. You can confirm by testing for voltage to the connector w/ fan activated (AC on). If voltage present fan motor is bad.

Thermostat is cheap protection against cooling system failure. OEM thermostat is best option. You can replace fan first and see if cooling system returns to normal.

good luck
The following users liked this post:
Daniel Baklanov (06-08-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 10:54 AM
7th Gear

Top radiator hose looks like this inside. Is my head gasket blown?
That tube sticking out is leaking coolant like a motherfucker. This is my primary problem
Another pic of where coolant is leaking from
Any idea on what could be causing that coolant leak? The fan is another issue, but this one trumps that for sure
Old 06-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Drifting

Drain line appears to be condensate drain line from AC evaporator. Nothing to do w/ cooling system. You need a shop manual. Check automanualsource.com.

regards
Old 06-03-2017, 08:30 PM
7th Gear

My coolant level drops every time I run the car (even after running it with the overfill cap open and adding to it as it drained to ensure engine coolant was full). The only leak I noticed was there. The exhaust was also leaking something but much more slowly. This leak is fast as fuck, I have a video but idk if this site supports that.

i appreciate your help btw. Does it look like I have a blown head gasket by that tube also?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Symptoms of a blown head gasket are loss of coolant w/o a leak, missing after startup, overheating rapidly and unexpectedly, oil in coolant or coolant in oil, bright white smoke (steam).

good luck
Old 06-08-2017, 08:31 PM
7th Gear

I gave in and took it to a mechanic today. The only problem they could identify was the one I already knew about - the radiator fan.

they pressure tested the whole coolant system and could not find anything. When I was there, the overflow coolant was at the max level exactly. Since then, I have driven it maybe ~10 miles and now the coolant level is close to minimum in the overflow valve. Any idea on what could be causing this?

I think I paid $50 for a useless diagnosis that did not identify the problem I wanted to identify...
Old 06-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Drifting

You may have lost a little coolant w/ the pressure test. Watch coolant level and keep topped.

It's also possible the leak test missed a small leak that get's worse w/ heat and operation. Perhaps a leaking water pump.

I suggest monitor carefully and wait for additional symptoms.

good luck
Old 06-09-2017, 12:06 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You may have lost a little coolant w/ the pressure test. Watch coolant level and keep topped.

It's also possible the leak test missed a small leak that get's worse w/ heat and operation. Perhaps a leaking water pump.

I suggest monitor carefully and wait for additional symptoms.

good luck
Well the thing was, last night after I replaced the radiator fan, I topped off coolant again and hit the grocery store. When I got back, it was still full. This morning, the coolant level in the overflow container was near the empty mark. I know for sure it leaks coolant either when the car is cooling down (less likely bc I would prob notice some gone after spending 30 min in the store) or when the car is completely cool and the coolant system isn't pressurized.

What could cause coolant to leak only when the system is not pressurized? It's like the pressure causes the source of the leak to clog up / not exist.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Drifting

If you lost from full to add mark on coolant reservoir, that would provide some coolant on the ground unless an internal leak (head gasket), or leak from heater core inside car (coolant smell hard to miss).

good luck
Old 09-24-2017, 02:11 PM
Movin up...

or u may have air in the system. you stated your radiator cap is broken? a radiator is cheap and easy to fix change the hoses while your there too and make sure you run the heater to get the air out of the system and properly circulating