Overheated TSX - Have I ruined my car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheated TSX - Have I ruined my car?

My 5 year old 25,000 mile TSX overheated to 383 degrees. Unfortunately I drove it about 10 miles when it was overheated. It needs a new water pump and thermostat & gasket among other things. The head gasket is okay. But the total bill is about $2500 because a few other things need to be fixed. I've been very good to my car and don't know why this happened! I've never been in an overheated car before and didn't realize how serious it is. I'm willing to get it fixed but now I'm reading that because of the overheating there most likely will be other problems down the road - in addition to a new head gasket. I'm not sure if I should get it fixed or try to sell it. I've always had Acuras but on a lease. I JUST bought the car 2 months ago after extending the lease for a total of 5 years. I didn't get the extended warranty. I don't want to constantly be worrying about my car and dealing with maintenance issues. Is it a foregone conclusion that the car will continue to be trouble? Acura says it should be fine and that its been well maintained but I'm not so sure. Any thoughts?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The forum where you originally posted, The AcuraZine User Help, Support & Suggestions Area , is meant for problems, comments, and suggestions for the website itself, so I moved your thread to the car specific forum applicable to your vehicle.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Inluvwithmytsx
My 5 year old 25,000 mile TSX overheated to 383 degrees. Unfortunately I drove it about 10 miles when it was overheated. It needs a new water pump and thermostat & gasket among other things. The head gasket is okay. But the total bill is about $2500 because a few other things need to be fixed. I've been very good to my car and don't know why this happened! I've never been in an overheated car before and didn't realize how serious it is. I'm willing to get it fixed but now I'm reading that because of the overheating there most likely will be other problems down the road - in addition to a new head gasket. I'm not sure if I should get it fixed or try to sell it. I've always had Acuras but on a lease. I JUST bought the car 2 months ago after extending the lease for a total of 5 years. I didn't get the extended warranty. I don't want to constantly be worrying about my car and dealing with maintenance issues. Is it a foregone conclusion that the car will continue to be trouble? Acura says it should be fine and that its been well maintained but I'm not so sure. Any thoughts?
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Several questions:

1) You said your car is five years old. What year is your TSX? 2008?

2) Are you the original owner of the car or did you buy / lease used?

3) When you say that it needs a gasket but that the head gasket is ok, to what other gasket are you referring to?

4) How do you know the car overheated to exactly 383 degrees? The 2004-2009 Acura TSX does not have a temperature gauge which gives you exact temperature measurements. At least my 2005 TSX doesn't.