overhead console rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Got Ramen?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overhead console rattle?

there are 3 areas where my car is rattling now, the 2 (driver's door/seatbelt column area and the steering wheel column) aren't necessary an annoyance for me.

What IS annoying is the recent tapping/rattling sound emitting from the rearview mirror or overhead console area. I'm not sure where it is exactly but it's driving me nuts. anyone have this problem and know where it might be coming from?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Most likely your sunroof. Take some silicone spray on a shop towel or rag, and tilt the sunroof up... then wipe the rubber trim around the glass with a liberal amount of the silicone. Then retract the roof about 1/2 way, and apply the silicone to the front portion of the rubber trim.

Should fix it for a good long time - worked like a charm on mine 8 months ago.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Instructor

I was really PO'd when I had a rattle like this in my new TSX but then it dawned on me that it was my shades in the sunglass holder...... oops!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Advanced

I have a rattle coming from the map lights/overhead compartment. I'm aware of the sunroof seal issue, and it's not the same noise for me.

When I apply pressure on the hard plastic around that area, the noise goes away. It's only started up a couple weeks ago when it first started getting really cold. I haven't gotten around to investigating a fix yet. If I do, I'll let you guys know.

I have a 2004 with 40k miles.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ EXACT SAME THING HERE
it started when it got cold outside
its actually from the little plastic cover on the rear view mirror
i tried driving while holding it and it stopped.

does anyone know how to fix this?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Got Ramen?

Originally Posted by TacoBellSauce
^^ EXACT SAME THING HERE
it started when it got cold outside
its actually from the little plastic cover on the rear view mirror
i tried driving while holding it and it stopped.

does anyone know how to fix this?
i think this is the same problem... cold weather probably shrinks the plastic components inside making things lose. it might be the mirror as it sounds like it. and it goes away during the day only to resurface at night

have the dealer fix it. i'm really ticked off right nowc uz my steering column and b pillar is rattling. and i dunno if im just getting paranoid but the passsenger door might be rattling too now... argh...
Old 12-09-2005, 01:18 PM
RX8
Intermediate

I fixed this problem in my TSX

Yeah, I had this problem too, and it started when the car was almost brand new (less than 1000 miles). It bugged the heck out of me. I've grown tired of taking cars in for warranty repairs (hence the Acura. Too bad its reputation is better than its actual quality...), so I decided to fix this myself. I searched the forums and found instructions from someone else on how to remove the map light unit (in short, take out all visible screws, pop out the light covers, take out more screws, and you're there). Then, I stuffed foam between the map light/microphone unit and the frame subassembly that holds it. I then reinstalled that whole assembly back into the car and the rattle is gone. What a relief!

I also had to stuff foam between the roof and the headliner where it meets the rear window. The headliner was rubbing against the glass & roof and making an annoying rattle/scrape noise. Giving it more clearance fixed the problem.

I am pleased that several of the other rattles I have had have settled down for the moment. It's either the change of weather or the car is settling in. I am hoping it's the latter.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:55 PM
no0bIe

Originally Posted by tcwatkins
I was really PO'd when I had a rattle like this in my new TSX but then it dawned on me that it was my shades in the sunglass holder...... oops!
Had the same incident... LMAO>>>