Out of State License Plate Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of State License Plate Options

whats up all, I have been searching but cant find anything for what im looking for. Anyone live in one state but have their car registered and plated in another state lets say to a family members house? (i.e. to avoid illegal mods)....post up if you do or know anyone that has done it/what they had to do. I am looking into it, I live in PA but am going to attempt to change my plate to a Tennessee plate, all my family lives there. If no one does, let this serve for a blog for what I had to do to get it done. thnx.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a friend who's car is registered in Tennessee in her parent's name due to residency laws, but works here in Ohio and lives here. I'm not sure you can register it to a house which isn't your permanent residence, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:37 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by K20-2-K24
whats up all, I have been searching but cant find anything for what im looking for. Anyone live in one state but have their car registered and plated in another state lets say to a family members house? (i.e. to avoid illegal mods)....post up if you do or know anyone that has done it/what they had to do. I am looking into it, I live in PA but am going to attempt to change my plate to a Tennessee plate, all my family lives there. If no one does, let this serve for a blog for what I had to do to get it done. thnx.
A few years ago before we moved to NC and lived in Pa we registered our car in NC. We were able to show our Pa license with no problem.We had a NC address to use. They recently changed that law-you now have to show a NC driver's license. My daughter tried to register her car in NJ when she moved there from PA. She had to get a Jersey driver's license first.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Racer

my gf just moved to MA from CT. she got Ma plates and still has a CT license. I also live in MA, but i still have CT plates. I'm switching them over next month though.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Advanced

Each state has different laws accompanying license and registration. For instance, I just got a North Carolina Plate so I can carry North Carolina Insurance and save myself $7k a year. If I were to have kept my Florida plate and carry NC Insurance, then my license would be undoubtedly suspended by Florida. The reason being is that if you have a FL Tag, under law you must have FL Insurance.

I spoke to the local police department to ask for the legal way to get around this but still keep my Florida Residency. Basically I only had to go to the Tag DMV and bring the following: FL Drivers License, Proof of Enrollment in College in NC, my School ID, my title, my Sales receipt and $78 cash. I left with a NC Tag and remained a Florida Resident with a FL Driver's License.

Basically, I would advice you to call up the local police department and ask them. They will be very helpful. Don't rely on what the DMV says, they are a bunch of idiots. I spoke with the supervisor of the Tag DMV and she had no idea what I was doing at first until I asked her to call the Police Department to verify what I was requesting. A hassle, but the whole process only took about 45 minutes including the time I waited in line.

Note that while a full-time student, the law does not require me to change my tag, however the difference in insurance cost between $4300 ever 6 months and $800 every 6 months by doing so was all to alluring.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Cruisin'

nice, thanks for the input so far from everyone.....yea I am juggling options. I do know quite a few local cops though the fire dept. so I am def going to talk to them. I dont think there are any insurance restrictions if I get the TN plate, I know they dont have inspections and emissions there. My insurance company gives me nationwide covereage but I have to check with that. I was considering changing my address to TN at my uncles house and possibly get a TN license all while I am down there visiting (we go down multiple times per year) but again I have to some more research. Thanks again for everyones input so far
Old 04-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Advanced

I have Geico, my drastic change in premium costs was due to relocation. Ten fold more accidents in Miami than Charlotte equals a change in premium as a function of geography.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by K20-2-K24
whats up all, I have been searching but cant find anything for what im looking for. Anyone live in one state but have their car registered and plated in another state lets say to a family members house?
Join the military. They need new fodder.

The Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act of 1950 (IIRC) has provisions that allows active duty members to maintain their driver's license from their legal home of record. (E.g., enlist, declare you home to be Tennessee, and wherever you go, you're a "legal resident" of TN.) Not sure if it covers vehicle registration, I think not but could be wrong. I do know I got out of a California penalty fee for bringing a non-CA emissions equipped Jeep into the state under orders from The Fed.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Cruisin'

i would if I could, health issues hold me back...i have military car insurance though, through my dad, USAA...