Oil Change...Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 01:31 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change...Quick Question

I'm getting it changed...just went over 500 miles, but I read something different in the Car Wash Thread.

Something about the moly oil (aka break-in oil) being left in for at least 5000 miles.

Maybe there was just an extra zero there, but I just wanted to make sure.

It's 500, 1000, 3000, then 3000 mile intervals for oil changes, right?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:24 AM
Racer

Re: Oil Change...Quick Question

Originally posted by MSB128
I'm getting it changed...just went over 500 miles, but I read something different in the Car Wash Thread.

Something about the moly oil (aka break-in oil) being left in for at least 5000 miles.

Maybe there was just an extra zero there, but I just wanted to make sure.

It's 500, 1000, 3000, then 3000 mile intervals for oil changes, right?

Thanks.

According Acura the tsx comes with a special break in oil, which should be changed at 7500 miles. If you are on the 'severe' schedule you should have it changed at 5000 miles. I'll be having my oil changed at 5000 miles, and every 5K miles after that.

Many members on here have been changing their oil before the 7.5K (some at -3k) with zero problems.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll say it again and again... there is not a special oil that Honda puts in these engines. The moly found in the oil in high quantities is due to the assembly process. Moly is extremely high quality gear oil. Boron is also found in high quantities in the oil too, merely a stabilizer for acidity.

Knowing all this, I still put Mobil 1 in my car at 3k. Personally, if you are honestly scared to change you oil sooner, then don't. At 3k miles, the oil looked good enough to go to 5k without an issue.

The only thing that will make your engine last longer than anyone elses is to not run it. What fun is that?

Just make sure you change the oil on a good interval... that's the best thing you can do.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro

i will get it chage before winter arriveif mine ahve not hit 5000km... i will wait for 4000-5000km for oil changes... felt 7000 miles is too much ...
Old 08-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Audi Driving Snob

i'm changing to mobil 1 at 8k =)
Old 08-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Racer

mobil 1 at 3k. tomorrow actually...
Old 08-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

Mobil 1 at 5k
Old 09-03-2003, 12:32 PM
5th Gear

First time oil change

I picked this up from Honda's/Acura's website regarding first time oil changes.

---------

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process. American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:46 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: First time oil change

Originally posted by laseca

---------

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process. American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.
No no no You can't tell them that. :P

They don't want to use logic and check obvious resources for the answer.

If you want to change your oil sooner - well it is your ride. But don't scare people into early unnecessary oil changes.

After all, what does the manufacturer of the car know? It's probably all a conspiracy anyways.

I'm very impressed no one posted RTFM.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: First time oil change

Originally posted by laseca

---------

This is also for stevestr...

I have a brother-in-law that works for Acura in the shop and a cousin that does as well. I'll repeat what they told me... this ISN'T A SPECIAL OIL.

You want logic, here's logical. It cost a significant amount more to have extra moly put into the oil b/c you have to add chemicals to balance the acidity that comes from combustion with these special oils. So, they use the special lube in ASSEMBLY and it natural gets into the regular oil put into the vehicle.

So if you want evidence, do the chemcial analysis that others have on the oil and you'll find that the moly is in higher quantities, but the chemicals to balance are in low quantities. Simply put, the moly is from assembly, NOT FROM THE OIL HONDA PUTS IN THE CAR.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:34 PM
A-TSX Driver...

I can't take the pressure of having to follow the manufacturer's instructions on oil changes and risk ruining my engine. I now tow a trailer with a 200 gallon tank attached. I've filled the tank with 5W-30 synthetic oil and have attached hoses between the tank and my oil pump. Rather than the oil recirculating back into the tank, it goes into a second 200 gallon tank that too is pulled on the trailer. When one tank gets close to going empty, I fill it again, and empty the second one at a local recycling shop.

It works wonders. I no longer have to worry about changing my oil. My gas mileage is crappy, and I can't go up hills anymore; but I don't have to worry about the oil.