OEM Body kit rattle fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OEM Body kit rattle fixed!

I put on my OEM body kit about 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, about a week after I put the kit on I developed this very loud rattle that only happenned when I was going over 75 mph. It was really hard to track down exactly what was rattling. It sounded like it was coming from the door panel or even the right side of the dash. At the same time I also did some re-wiring around the B pillar for my Sirius antenna, and I kept thinking that it was related to that. So I drove with my B pillar off one day, and it was still rattling!

This weekend, I finally found the rattle. It ended up being the right side skirt for the OEM bodykit. There is a plastic clip that sits underneath the car and holds the front side of the OEM side skirt to the bottom of TSX. I must have warped the clip when I removed it because it was little lose and not quite snug. I found the clip and noticed that it was a little bent and not sitting flush like it should. So I put a piece of rubber in between where the clip sits. Now the rattle is gone. I'm so relieved, cuz I was about to bring this to the dealer to have them try to fix it. They probably would have ripped my car apart. If anyone's gonna rip my car apart it's gonna be me!

I know that recently a lot of people have been getting the OEM bodykit because of the big groupbuy that went on, so I just thought I would let everyone know so they don't have to go through the same thing!
Old 03-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened to me when I first got my TSX...
I went into the dealer and they fixed it...they said it was one of the screws/clips that was loose and was causing the skirt to rattle.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
big group buy? Is there still one going on?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I think it's over. There was another website offering it, not anyone affiliated with Acurazine.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:34 PM
04 remembrance

Groupbuys come and go quite quick.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

same problem, one of my side skirt screws came loose and was rattling at high speeds. fixed w/ just a tightening.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Racer

Good thing this was brought up! I have this exact same problem right now. I bought one of the kits from the group buy and had it installed and a loud rattle developed a couple days after it was installed. I have no idea where it's coming from... all I know is that it's coming from the right side of the car by the front or rear passenger side. It's annoying the (expletive) out of me... I can't turn the radio up enough to tune it out. l'll go check out the clips underneath the oem side skirt. I hope that fixes it!
Old 03-29-2005, 01:31 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Good luck man...shake the OEM side skirt. If it's loose, then that is probably the rattle. It should be solid and you should not hear a sound when you try to wiggle it.

Mine was loose in the front bottom. There is a plastic clip that holds on a piece of metal that attaches to the side skirt with 2 phillilps screws. This is what was loose for me.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2005, 02:59 AM
Racer

thanks for the help guys/gals
Old 03-29-2005, 07:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Posted this fix 1.5 yrs ago - search would have yielded the solution.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Advanced

Is this coming from only the right side only (passenger)? The rattle I have is coming from the driver's door panel (i think) when going above 75 mph in heavy winds. Do you guys think the rattle is coming from the left side (driver) body kit?

Does anyone have a pic of what I'm supposed to look for?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Drifting

i also had the passenger-side rattle when going over 70mph. it disappeared after a couple of weeks though. i was to lazy to open up the skirt and look for the loose clip....
Old 03-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by miner
Posted this fix 1.5 yrs ago - search would have yielded the solution.
Hmm...I did a search for "bodykit rattle" before I posted and I didn't get anything. What was your thread called?
Old 03-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by Strifez
Is this coming from only the right side only (passenger)? The rattle I have is coming from the driver's door panel (i think) when going above 75 mph in heavy winds. Do you guys think the rattle is coming from the left side (driver) body kit?

It could also be on the driver side. Just get down low and try to wiggle the front left skirt really hard. See if you hear any clicking sounds. It's pretty easy to check.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2005, 06:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsx536
Hmm...I did a search for "bodykit rattle" before I posted and I didn't get anything. What was your thread called?
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2702
Old 03-31-2005, 09:26 PM
Racer

i found where my rattle was coming from and fixed it today. i knew it was coming from the passenger side, but i didn't know where. thanks to you guys, you helped me locate the rattle! it was actually from underneath the car, where the passenger side sideskirt bolts to the bottom of the car. although the bolt that holds the sideskirt to the undercarriage of the car was tight, the sideskirt was not snug against bolt. hence, when the car moves, the sideskirt would bounce and rattle against bolt. To fix it, i went under the car and wrapped a rubber band around the bolt so it would be a buffer between the kit and the bolt. So far so good, as long as the rubber band doesn't snap. Thanks guys/gals!
Old 03-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by goowakjai
To fix it, i went under the car and wrapped a rubber band around the bolt so it would be a buffer between the kit and the bolt. So far so good, as long as the rubber band doesn't snap. Thanks guys/gals!
Couldn't you just use a washer or something along those lines?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:47 AM
Racer

Couldn't you just use a washer or something along those lines?

there was a washer with the bolt. the sideskirt was hitting the bolt and washer.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

I have the exact same problem. 2005 with OEM body kit. Sometimes I hear that noise when going 65 on a good windy day. I'm about to take it to the dealer next week when I have time. Were you able to confirm anything.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tsx536
I put on my OEM body kit about 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, about a week after I put the kit on I developed this very loud rattle that only happenned when I was going over 75 mph. It was really hard to track down exactly what was rattling. It sounded like it was coming from the door panel or even the right side of the dash. At the same time I also did some re-wiring around the B pillar for my Sirius antenna, and I kept thinking that it was related to that. So I drove with my B pillar off one day, and it was still rattling!

This weekend, I finally found the rattle. It ended up being the right side skirt for the OEM bodykit. There is a plastic clip that sits underneath the car and holds the front side of the OEM side skirt to the bottom of TSX. I must have warped the clip when I removed it because it was little lose and not quite snug. I found the clip and noticed that it was a little bent and not sitting flush like it should. So I put a piece of rubber in between where the clip sits. Now the rattle is gone. I'm so relieved, cuz I was about to bring this to the dealer to have them try to fix it. They probably would have ripped my car apart. If anyone's gonna rip my car apart it's gonna be me!

I know that recently a lot of people have been getting the OEM bodykit because of the big groupbuy that went on, so I just thought I would let everyone know so they don't have to go through the same thing!
i think i am having the same problem. can you possibly post pix of the clip you are talking about?