No power to climate control unit and outside temp gauge reads "- - -"

Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No power to climate control unit and outside temp gauge reads "- - -"

Hi guys. I've searched everywhere for information on what the possible problem is with no luck. I have a 2004 6MT non navi model and there is no power at all going to my climate control cluster so no rear defrost, no a/c, no heat, nothing on that unit has power except for the led buttons..

Also I noticed at pretty much the same time the outside temp display now only reads "- - -" which I think is too coincidental. I'm thinking these must run on the same circuit but I've checked all of the fuses on the interior driver side of the car and they all seem ok..

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I bring her in to the shop as I'm thinking this should be an easy DIY.

Thank you!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know how the system works to any detail but if the fuses are ok I'd start checking sensors and if you can tracing wires.

Could be a problem with a ground.

Might be one of those things you need a pro to check out with their tools. Easy to fix, hard to diagnose for a DIY.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
A blk/yel wire from under-dash fuse box (fuse 30) couples power to the climate control module (CCM). If this wire has power, you likely have a dead CCM.

I would pull and check connections carefully before replacing.

Check car-part.com for a used CCM.

good luck
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Ok so checked number 30 again and the fuse is in tact. One thing I DID notice though is that there is no fuse for 33 "HAC OP" which I'm assuming is some sort of option (navi possibly?). I'm sure that isn't the problem though as it was working fine a week ago.

I will check connections as well later this afternoon. Do you think this could also be the culprit for the outside temp gauge not displaying? They must be connected because the climate control must require a temp sensor when in auto mode correct?

Sorry, I am definitely new when it comes to working out these scenarios.

And absolutely, if all else fails, over to a pro for diagnosis.

Last edited by PoomPoom; 07-03-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Cruisin'

So yellow/black seems properly connected. Now that I've ripped a portion of my dash apart I'm thinking now.. What about the relay fuses under the hood fuse box. Could these be causing a power outage on the climate control unit and outside temp gauge?

Only problem is I have no way to test which one is faulty if any. Also the service manual doesn't even advise what they are. 3 on top and two on the bottom. They have pictures on the fuse box lid but that is about it..

Any ideas guys?
Old 07-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Cruisin'

So brought this in to the dealership today and they are saying it is either a module or the audio/hac assembly. So as far as I've figured out the audio/hac are separate are they not? They assured me it is one of these two things. Is this an easy install? Any advice guys? I need some feedback on this one please.

Thank you in advance!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
I can't offer much help. My suggestions were based on reading of wiring diagram. Never had any problems w/ my CCM.

I would think a used CCM would be cheaper than Honda service work.

good luck
The following users liked this post:
PoomPoom (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks TexasHonda! Looking on the website but don't see anything under CCM or climate control module. Could it be listed as anything else?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Cruisin'

So just an update. Pulled the radio/ac unit from the dash and used a continuity tester to check connections and I have 2 hots (assuming power for radio module and ac module. Think I've found the culprit officially. Entire assembly is $3700 bucks from Acura and $1500 for just the ac module. Lucky for me I've tracked down the entire assembly at a local import wrecker for $200. I'll be picking it up Monday and will keep everyone updated.

Thanks again for the feedback up to this point.
The following users liked this post:
RLric2005 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Cruisin'

Final update. Problem solved. It wasn't the module but the actual circuit board attached to the face plate. Picked it up from the auto import wrecker for $200 and worked like a charm. Climate control has power again and the outside temp gauge is now up and running again. Beats paying $3700 bucks for the entire assembly not including labour from the ridiculous stealership.

Easy fix and solved. If this problem happens just be sure to check for videos on taking the trim and audio/hvac apart. If anyone has any questions please post and I would be more than happy to answer.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys - I really need help. Condenser fan and motor got replaced. the things burned / melted. due to this failure AC did not worked again. Hot air coming out only. Tech said to get a new compressor. I did for $600. now compressor is not bilding enough pressure. what component does activate a valve or triggerts the compressor? AC module? climate control module? Any recommendations or help is appreciatted. THANKS
Old 07-01-2018, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

No power to climate control unit no air no heat

Hi I have a 2001 Acura MDX the outside temp is wrong also no power I've changed ccm where is the circuit board located I think it's same problem I'm having
Old 12-11-2018, 11:57 AM
9th Gear

If the piston rings inside the compressor were melted then youve got other issues then just a compressor. Ive seen a few different things cause this. One, the heater valve is stuck open and your essentially trying to cool your engine coolant with our ac. This causes a very large amount of heat to build up and thus, melts the rings on your piston. The second, which is what is most common, youve lost your ac charge. meaning, its leaked out. Usually a loss of pag oil as well. This also causes extreme heat and melts piston rings. Since you've replaced the compressor and now have low pressures means your low on charge. Low charge would cause warm air blowing from your vents. Question is, what caused the low charge? Was it charged to correct amount after compressor replacement? Was a leak test performed after the compressor was replaced? If it was charged to the correct spec, then you obviously have a leak. Recovering the system and charging it with nitrogen will help to identify the leak. There are also dyes that you can put in the system to help identify the leak but the nitrogen is easy to use and much quicker to find the leak cause you can hear it. As for your question about what controls yours pressures, There are two switches in your A/C system. A high pressure switch and a low pressure switch. These switch are what controls the pressure cut in and cut out. The fact that you are not building pressure has nothing to do with the switches.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:06 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the same trifecta of problems on an Acura RL 2005. No fans, no power to the CCM. No LED lights on. I did JUMP start the car, then put in a new battery.
afterwards I checked the 50 amp terminal fuse, replaced the 2 fan relays in panel under the hood, and the 2 AC fuses, driver's side and passenger's side. I'm stuck. Any ideas?
Old 11-05-2021, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear

i have a similar problem...every now and then my front climate control panel will not get power and i am unable to control the climate. i replaced the front panel once, and that seemed to do the trick, but now the problem has re-emerged. it's like a bad relationship...it works then it stops working, so once it was working, i tried switching between my two front panels, and both worked, so i figured it was something else wrong, so i replaced the CCM (climate control module) and the same problem still occurred, my front panel will intermittently stop working.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:07 PM
Jesus is my hero

@PoomPoom I am having the same problem. Climate control unit has no power, so the display, heat, a/c, defroster will not power on. I found a CCU on eBay but was wondering if you have instructions on how to install it? 2013 MDX. Not much on YouTube which is surprising
Old 09-10-2023, 06:55 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did you find a solution to this issue? I'm having the same problem now. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2023, 08:48 PM
Jesus is my hero

Originally Posted by Energy108
Did you find a solution to this issue? I'm having the same problem now. Thanks!
I replaced the climate control unit. CCU. Fairly easy to install. I can't seem to locate the YouTube video I watched but here is the part for 2013

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313869767017