New to me 2004 TSX. Radio and interior lights issues!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 2004 TSX. Radio and interior lights issues!

Just picked up a 2004 Acura TSX yesterday for daily driver duties. Its is replacing my 2002 Saturn SL2, so it is quite the upgrade for me. Its got 147,000 miles and seems to run, drive and stop great! However, it does have a few issues I would like to sort out. I got the car for short money, so I can't complain. So here goes.

1. Interior lights (Map and light over the rear seat) do not work. Switch from door to on and everything, nothing. Totally dark. Weirdly enough, the door lights (on the door skins) work. Interior light fuse is good, and bulbs appear to be as well. I used a mutlimeter on the map lights and nothing at all. Any suggestions?

2. Radio does not work. The theft light blinks slowly, and i heard the CD changer making some noise, but no sound and the display does not work. Totally dead.

3. Climate control backlight does not work. If i hold a flashlight up to it all of the controls work and everything. Everything works great, jut no backlight.

4. Doesnt appear to be and backlights on the steering wheel controls or sunroof buttons. None on the gear indicator either. Moral of the story, interior is very dark haha. Backlights on the window switches DO work.

Pretty stumped on the interior lights issue.

Background on the radio/HVAC. Previous owner showed me the original radio, and the LCD was all messed up. He got a used unit off of ebay, which is in the car now. Would that have something to do with it? Is it possible he got another defective unit? It appears to be pretty damn worn. If I find another replacement, does it have to be from an 04 or any 04-08? Can I grab one with navigation too or is that a no go?

Looking for any and all help! First acura here!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:41 PM
kbh
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the car. I also own a 2004 (since new) and it is still running strong at 218K miles. With good maintenance and sensible driving, these cars last a long time. I'll answer what I can.

1) entirely possible the bulbs have burned out. Replace one with a new one and see if it works, if it does, easy fix.

2) and 3) Did the owner give you the old radio? These sound like the printed circuit board failed. This was a common failure on 04's and Acura extended the warranty on this item. Unfortunately replacement PCB's are no longer available. If you have the old unit, you might be able to swap in the old PCB.

4) steering wheel controls were not illuminated on 04's. The gear shift lever light problem is also likely a burned out bulb. The same type bulb also illuminates the storage bin under the HVAC controls and the glovebox - you probably didn't even know those were illuminated?! These are old incandescent bulbs and they commonly failed after about 4-5 years.

Last edited by kbh; 01-23-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 PM
10th Gear

He may still have the old radio. I will check. Either way, that radio is bad. If I buy a replacement radio, is the code based on the radio unit itself, or the VIN on the vehicle?
Old 01-24-2017, 03:51 AM
kbh
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The code is specific to the PCB. I listed the procedure for replacing the PCB and retrieving the code in this thread. Good luck

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/notes-center-console-display-failure-925093/
Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by kbh
The code is specific to the PCB. I listed the procedure for replacing the PCB and retrieving the code in this thread. Good luck

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-...ailure-925093/

Cool thanks. So I should be able to retrieve the code from the new radio once I find one.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Originally Posted by MTBSully
Cool thanks. So I should be able to retrieve the code from the new radio once I find one.
https://radio-navicode.acura.com/

Old 01-26-2017, 08:16 AM
10th Gear

Update. I have ordered a new radio. Hopefully that solves that issue. The rear light (over rear seats) now works. Bulb was burned out. MAP lights have me stumped. I pulled the whole assembly out of the headliner, and I have no voltage at the 2 prong plug for the map lights. Nothing. I guess that rules out a bad maplight assembly? Dont understand why I would not have any voltage at that plug if the fuse is good...
Old 08-28-2017, 06:27 AM
Cruisin'

This is the exact same problem I'm having. Did you ever fix the issue? Was this a printed circuit board problem?
Radio doesnt work at all, clock doesnt light up, climate control back lights do not work but HVAC, but HVAC fans DO work, Map lights, interior door lights, and light above the back seats dont work.

PCB problem from Acura.
http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B04-021.pdf
Old 08-28-2017, 07:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ZDriver96
This is the exact same problem I'm having. Did you ever fix the issue? Was this a printed circuit board problem?
Radio doesnt work at all, clock doesnt light up, climate control back lights do not work but HVAC, but HVAC fans DO work, Map lights, interior door lights, and light above the back seats dont work.

PCB problem from Acura.
http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B04-021.pdf
Are you sure you didn't blow a fuse? 'Small lights' fuse
Old 08-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Are you sure you didn't blow a fuse? 'Small lights' fuse
Hey Thoiboi. I checked all the Engine bay fuses and they are good. The Interior fuses I checked the whole bottom row which had the Radio Amp fuse and I think an interior light fuse. I did not check the rest as I had no time and it started raining on me. Which fuse are you specifically talking about? I used a continuity tester. I'll check them all again though.

I think I may have blown a fuse because I did not disconnect my car battery when changing the left front door actuator. After I swapped in the new door actuator and started up the car the entire center radio/climate control/clock lights did not work. Radio doesn't turn on either. Had me puzzled that no door/map/or back seat lights worked either.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

yup check all the fuses in the driver's kick panel
Old 08-28-2017, 05:40 PM
Cruisin'

GOT IT. Yes it is the small lights fuse but in my fuse panel its called the day light fuse. Its a 10 ohm fuse in the interior fuse panel, bottom row in the middle.

Thanks again thoiboi for directing me that way again. I guess I just missed it as i was in a hurry the first time (getting rained on).
Old 08-28-2017, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Glad i could help!
Old 11-07-2017, 05:45 PM
3rd Gear

Smile Possible Fix for Radio/HVAC Lights

I had the same problem with the lights for my 2004 TSX and after reading everything I could find I bought some new transistors and was going to fix the PCB myself then realized I would more than like screw things up so looked for a different solution. Ended up talking to a TV repair shop who did warranty work for a number of manufactures and he said he might be able to fix it but no guarantees so removed the PCB and dropped it off at his shop. Not sure how he tested things but within 3 days he was done and I got it back and installed it and everything works fine now. He said next time leave the PCB in the radio and take the whole radio to him as he can test it that way to determine what needs replacing. The cost for me was $163 CAN which was $30 for parts and the rest labour. Way better than buying a used radio and hopping it works.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:49 AM
2nd Gear

Re: Possible Fix for Radio/HVAC Lights

Creston_TSX: Now that the PCB is discontinued by Acura, may have to go the repair route. Where did you find details on the necessary parts for a fix? Do you have a PCB schematic?
Old 12-26-2017, 01:18 AM
3rd Gear

PCB Schematic

I do not have the schematic or the name of the parts that he replaced. I think one was a high temp cutout of some sort. His suggestion was that you should just take the whole radio into a competent tv repair shop and the can probably test it and fix it. You might have to make a few phone calls to find the right one but maybe somebody who deals in installing or fixing car stereo systems but like I said the one I found was a warranty shop for various tv brands. Good luck