The mystery shake in the steering wheel/body

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Always Winter!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any updates from anyone. having the same problem. thinking its my tie rods being that the wheel shakes/turns from left to right under excelleration. i also get a little bit of shaking at 50mph and the tires are balanced.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Faster, please.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the most common problem related to any shaking that these TSX's are having is in the front axles. I experienced the same thing, as have many others. There are always a lot of potential problems, and you always want to start with the easy/cheap fixes (tires, alignment, etc.) but it seems like the half-shafts get whacked pretty easy on these cars. Actually a lot of FWD cars.

If you do determine that it's the axles my reccomendation is to get the new axle through excelerate, but don't get the "Stage 0" ones - they are very inexpensive, but I bought them and it didn't completely fix the problem, it only made it acceptable. Driveshaft Shop (the company that makes them) makes another set of axles that are warrantied and can supposedly handle up to 500 hp. They are about $600 more, but I wish I had gone with them. They're still way cheaper than the Acura ones. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hrmmm... i'm beginning to think if i have this problem. i bought mine used so i thought it was the tires because there's quite a bit of weight on them to balance them out. my car is under warranty so i can probably wait until i get new tires and see if it works better. the vibration is *ever* so slight its hardly noticable - my suv w/aftermarket rims had bad shakes but that was b/c of the bad tires. if its a problem with the axle, dang, that's some bucks! come to think of it, the car has a lot of irritatingly small issues.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my civic, I end up changing everything before the problem was fixed. After the ties bar I replaced the front ball joint and front wheel bearings. That solved most of the shaking. Then I said what the heck, I will replaced the rear bearings also. That solved the shake completely. After an align, they also recomended changing the front worn lower control arm bushings. I should have also replaced the lca when i took everything apart. Now, I have to take everything apart again and replace the lca. I will do it because I don't want to wear out the other parts. The front wheel bearing was the most difficult to replace because it required a press to press the hub and bearing out/in.

On the TSX, I would inspect all the parts out on the suspension. Wheel bearings, ball joint, bushings, tie bar, bent rims, and alignment. It may be best just to pay $99 to get it diagnosed before just slapping on expensive parts like I did. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

I am taking mine back to the Acura Dealer friday. So far I have gone through 4 sets of tires, original Michelins, Goodyear F1's, Goodyear Eagle LS and now I'm on Goodyear ResponseEdge, all shook and there is no way Goodyear is going to swap them out again. But I like these tires a lot and they feel good. Just need to get this damn shake to be gone!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Advanced

blame it on the axles!

Anyway, i just wanted to give a little feedback on the axle scene a year later. I purchased the aftermarket passenger side axle for my auto tsx, and it has been holding well for 30k mi. I would say for the cheap price it was worth it. Although, the axle seemed as if i had more play in it than oem, it has held up to a beating.

POS

I would have to somewhat agree on some comments made towards the tsx in this thread. The car has never left me on the side of the road, but does have some things that just disgust me.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 AM
1st Gear

Have you checked your rotors? Maybe your rotors are warped. You'll especially feel it when you brake. That's what I did to mine. I finally got the slotted racing rotors. And I warped those too. What can I say, I'm a girl. Hard on brakes.

When you start your car in the morning and head down the road, sometimes your tires will get a slight flat spot on them from sitting over night and your car will vibrate untill it warms up. I know sounds kinda crazy, but I'm serious. I live out in the country and by the time I got to the end of our 9 mile country road, it wouldn't vibrate anymore.

Im on the west coast and our roads are really bad from people driving with studded tires and sometimes it's just the road that causes the vibration. That's why depending on the road I was driving on I would have the vibration problems and then at times It wouldn't be there.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Racer

I also have this problem that many seem to suffer from. I saw the white paper on the warping front brakes and had them changed at the dealer under warrenty. It did bring the shaking down a bit, but it's still there. More noticable at higher speeds, but there at most speeds.

I have 50k miles on my 2005.