Mystery -- scratches on steering wheel rim

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Mystery -- scratches on steering wheel rim

All of a sudden in the past three weeks, I have three scratches in the leather on my 08 leather steering wheel. They are on the back side at about the 12, 8 and 6 o'clock positions.

One is a long steady scratch, and the other two are like intermittent hash marks.

They are really distracting and aggravating when your fingers run across them.

I am not wearing any new rings or watches, and there are no other drivers but me.

The only thing I can think of is that they were noticable after I took my car into the dealer, twice in the last few weeks.

I wonder if one of its techs was holding something or wearing something that scratched up the wheel. But that is hard to prove.

Just wondering if anyone else has had mystery scratches like this, and what is the best way to buff out or make these scratches umm, less "feelable."
Old 06-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
When I park outside on the streets, I usually have the parking gate remote in my right pocket (clipped in such a way that the clip is on the outside and the remote is in my pocket). When getting into my car, it would scratch against the steering wheel as I got into my car. When I started noticing the scratch marks (more like feeling them as I turn), that's when I put the two together. Mine was actually getting cut. Since the damage is minimal, I didn't bother doing anything other than putting some leather conditioner on it and hoping it would somehow disappear (like throwing water on something and hoping it was a cure-all...lol). I don't notice it anymore, so maybe its condition improved.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would remove these I got one on my O8 TL. Drove it Sat night and i noticed it. The only other place it been to is to car wash on X mas eve and did after until sat night. like kixo said its annoying as the wheel passes through your hand. the scratch is at the bottom of wheel facing the dash.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I've had the scratches on the wheel before. In my experience, they wear off over time. I just condition them as soon as I find them and hit them again about a week or so later and they go away pretty quickly. I've got one right now from where the clip on my utility knife hit the bottom of the wheel. Did it about a week and a half ago and its almost gone.