Various 6MT Transmission Problems and 2nd Gear Pop-Out

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:39 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Various 6MT Transmission Problems and 2nd Gear Pop-Out

I have an 04 TSX that I just purchased with 110k miles. The car is in immaculate condition and has been treated very well. No issues at all except for the tranny.

I'm having a few problems:

-Very Low clutch engagement point
The clutch would start to engage with the pedal nearly at the floor. I have replaced both the master and slave cylinders. No change. Adjusted the push rod on the master cylinder to raise the engagement point. Feels better but still engages about an inch from the ground. (should normally be at 50% pedal travel). Possibly worn clutch? Although the clutch does not slip at all.

-2nd gear pop-out (main issue)
Gear pops out of second and starts grinding. Happens most often when I first start the car. Still happens when the engine is warm just not as often. The tranny shifts smothly through all gears and never grinds going into 1-6. Only grinds right when it pops out of second. I have changed the MTF with GM synchromesh friction modified. The fluid was black when i drained the tranny. The shifter felt alot better moving through gears but 2nd still pops out. Bad synchro maybe? but it never grinds going into gear and always goes in smothly. Maybe tranny mount? I have ordered performance shifter cable bushings from hybrid racing, hope that helps.

-Shifter Movement in First Gear
Weird issue, when im taking off in first and push in the clutch pedal to shift into 2nd, the shifter jerks back almost as if it wants to pop out (but never does). It only happens in first and almost always when that happens and I upshift to 2nd, 2nd gear would pop out and grind.

-Grind when going into reverse.
Tranny grinds when going straight into reverse. Goes in fine If I shift into reverse after putting it in first gear first. Theres a TSB on Mitchell ondemand that states to lubricate the mainshaft if you are experiencing this issue.

-Clutch Squeaks when Depressed
Its coming from the shift fork so im guessing I need to lubricate the mainshaft spline or maybe its the throw out bearing?

So do you guys have any suggestions? As stated before, I already changed the hydraulics, completely bled the system and switched to the GM synchromesh stuff. I'm guessing its time for a rebuild but are there any quick fixes I can try first? I been searching the web for months but can't find any definite answer.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I just rolled over 100k on my '05, and the clutch has a very low engagement point and is becoming more and more stubborn shifting between gears. Occassionally, I'll get some grinding between first and second, but nothing too bad. Reverse can also be a problem, but I rarely need to use reverse.

At 100k, I figure it's time for the clutch to be replaced, and it's a good opportunity to go to a lighter flywheel. I ordered the Exedy Stage 1 setup from Excelerate, and I'm having it installed tomorrow. I have a feeling that you'll need to consider doing the same.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 AM
3rd Gear

Yea, Im not too worried about the clutch right now since its not slipping and its one of those parts that will eventually have to be replaced on any vehicle. What really worries me is the 2nd gear pop out.
If you haven't done it yet, you should try the gm synchromesh fluid im almost certain it'll solve the roughness you're experiencing through the gears. and for reverse just do what i do, put it in first then go into reverse. works every time.
and as far as the light flywheel, i was thinking about doing the same until i read up on it. It'll be alot harder to drive in traffic and the car is always gonna want to stall when taking off. You wont be able to just slowly release and ride the clutch to start moving, you will have to feather it and give it a good amount of gas so i think im gonna stick to the stock flywheel when i get to it.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:34 PM
3rd Gear

bump. getting ready to buy shifter cables
Old 08-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by shadow0492
bump. getting ready to buy shifter cables
What is that going to solve? Did it solve any of your issues?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:00 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Never had to replace the clutch on the numerous vehicles I have owned or own. My 06 tsx is going on 144k miles
Old 04-19-2018, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead because I have this exact same issue on my 2004 TSX. First-year feels like it wants to pop out when I accelerate and depress the clutch and 2nd gear will randomly pop out while just driving. It not only pops out of second gear, but it grinds when it pops out and seems unsafe. Has anyone else had this problem, and or fixed it? My car has 80k on the engine, and 190k on the tranny