Massive ongoing steering problem PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Massive ongoing steering problem PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys,

I own a 2005 Acura TSX that I bought preowned in 2006, with 15K on it. It's 6MT. Since the moment i bought it, it had massive steering problems. It always pulled right, it went right when I was braking, and if I go over any bumps at all, the steering wheel ALWAYS flew (and still flies right...oh and also the steering wheel shook at highway speeds. The dealer gave me new rotors which fixed the wheel shaking. For the pulling to the right, he tried allignment 4 times, and 1 time at a nearby infiniti dealer just in case his machine was the problem....still didn't fix it....he replaced some things such as the control arm in the right front wheel and it seemed to generally keep the car on the road (minus over bumps when the car STILL went right).

15,000 miles have passed since then. The car STILL pulls right on the highway, and over bumps the car/wheel always flies right still (I replaced all stock crap Michelins with quality Bridgestone tires to try and fix it in case it was tramlining, but it only got worse). Now the shaking steering wheel came back as well ( I guess my rotors are shot again. That should NOT happen in a car with 29K on it in my opinion even though the dealer says that it happens quite often....

If I jerk the wheel left and let go the car quickly centers again and even turns a bit right, however if i jerk the wheel to the right, the car just keeps going right, and will never recenter itself.... What do you guys think is wrong? The steering rack? steering column? It doesn't seem like the problem is at the wheel to me anymore.

PLEASE HELP!!!! I have been fighting with this problem for one year now and I just can't stand how my car goes off the road if I let go for a single moment (and yes, it happens if i'm in the left lane, it'll just take a bit longer since it has to climb against curve of the road)

I just dont know what to do/say/propose anymore.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you made sure none of the wheels are bent? If you're experiencing shaking at highway speeds even when not braking, then I would think there are some problems with the one of the wheels. When the dealer has the tire on the balance machine, have them look for things like excessive side to side wobble. A badly bent wheel can make the car pull one way, and depending on how bad it's bent, it can be more noticeable at certain speeds than others.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Advanced

the steering wheel shaking isn't a big problem. Acutally, yes, among changing rotors, they gave me a new rim, which they said replaced a bent one. It's the pulling to the right in all conditions known to man that's the problem
Old 06-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well since your stock i'm not sure what to tell you. I had my new wheels and tires put on about 2.5 months ago and it has always pulled a little to the right as well and the alignment is fine. I think my tires just tramline more than normal and cause they are thinner (225/40/18). I just took them to make sure they were balaced correctly and they are fine and i have a apt. for an alignment on saturday so we'll see if anything has changed. Have the dealership do an alignment and see what else it could be but it might be normal.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Have you checked to see if the car has ever been in an accident? Is the Frame bent? The problem you are having should not be hard to find. Something sound bent to me, if all of the normal things have been check. I bet there is some sort of frame damage.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How bad of a pull are we talking? Does it seem like the steering wheel is not aligned? Like if you keep the steering wheel off center, does it go straight?

If so, you can fix this by moving the steering wheel. I figured this out when doing my steering wheel swap.