Look at what Acura Service did to my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at what Acura Service did to my car

So I took my car in today to get the dash light circuit board replaced and they did the most shoddy installation I have ever seen. I was all worried about removing my USA Spec device when I should have been more concerned with letting someone work on my car.

They left mud/grease all over the car and worse of all they scraped up my dash in multiple locations. I am beyond pissed off right now. If it wasn't so late when I went to pick it up I would have just left it there but you better believe that I am calling them first thing tomorrow morning.

Here are a few pics but check out the gallery for all of them.

Any suggestions on what I should do about this???
Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contact your local BBB and file a complaint. This would fall under the category of a repair that caused other damage. In instances like this, complaining to the BBB would be your first action to get it repaired/replaced.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow....that really sucks!~ Personally I would try the dealer first, because they may be more than willing to replace the items they messed up. If not the BBB would be a great route to take!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Advanced

I am going to contact the dealer tomorrow and at least give them a chance to make it right. If they give me a hard time I will try threaten them with the BBB. This is the first time I have ever had a problem with the dealer so I suspect they will be just as surprised as me when they see the damage.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Racer

The BBB will do nothing. The BBB simply files and records complaints. They will send a copy of your complain to the dealer and give them a chance to respond. And that's about it. It won't help your case, or get it repaired, anybody who says it will has no idea what the BBB does - or at least has never dealt with them. YOur only option is the dealer - if they don't fix it, contact acura customer service and file a complaint with them. Leave the BBB alone.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jimmy The Saint
The BBB will do nothing. The BBB simply files and records complaints. They will send a copy of your complain to the dealer and give them a chance to respond. And that's about it. It won't help your case, or get it repaired, anybody who says it will has no idea what the BBB does - or at least has never dealt with them. YOur only option is the dealer - if they don't fix it, contact acura customer service and file a complaint with them. Leave the BBB alone.
I just hope they do the right thing and make it right. I am not in the mood to play any games or spend a lot of time trying to get it fixed. I will keep everyone posted tomorrow on how it goes.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Always inspect your vehicle after it's been repaired or serviced while it's on the lot (dealer or other). If damage is found, bring it to the attention of the SA right away. Once you leave the lot, then claim damage, the dealer could counter the claim by saying they didn't do it. This is one of the most frustrating things about bringing a car in for any type of service or repair.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Sorry to see this. Hopefully you can get the stealer to make this right. Or, try calling ACS.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy The Saint

Well I can tell you from personal experience that they have helped me greatly a few but all my situations. I am in the army and BBB.com even has a military section on their website. Maybe this is your own experience or your but this is my is mine!~
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Wow, sorry that you have to go through this. One of the most infuriating things in life is people who don't take responsibility for their actions... hopefully the dealership will take responsibility.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I had almost the exact same thing happen to my car during the same repair (radio/climate lights not working). They scratched the pass. side silver trim piece, just lightly but enough to notice. I brought it back the next day and they took a piece from a loaner TSX and swapped it into mine in a few minutes. Done and done, no questions asked.
Just BE REASONABLE AND CALM and most importantly, BE PROFESSIONAL AND COURTEOUS. It goes a long way with dealerships and with the rest of the people you meet in life.
Best of luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Racer

When I got that repair done last winter the dealer put a small scratch on the display, it was super small and I didn't want to make a huge fuss about it. Now 6 months later the dimmer doesn't work on center stack when I turn on my lights. The radio and climate control buttons don't light up and the displays stay really bright. Now its time Call.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PACman
Always inspect your vehicle after it's been repaired or serviced while it's on the lot (dealer or other). If damage is found, bring it to the attention of the SA right away. Once you leave the lot, then claim damage, the dealer could counter the claim by saying they didn't do it. This is one of the most frustrating things about bringing a car in for any type of service or repair.
Yeah I usually come on lunch to pick up the car but I couldn't come till after work and there was one service advisor left. I didn't even speak to him because he was helping a customer and a lot attendent guy just pulled my car around and gave me the keys.

I definitely wouldn't have even brought it home if I wasn't in such a rush to make a dinner reservation. I guess I will just have to see what they do tomorrow when I talk to them
Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer did the same thing to my car when they replaced the CD changer. Though mine was not quite as bad as yours,they wouldn't assume any responsibilty. I never heard back from Acura's main office or American Honda on this issue.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
That particular repair the OP got is really involved as they have to take out the entire NAV unit. The scratch in the fake wood trim panel (1st pic) is not a replaceable part. The dealer will have to order an entirely new Nav unit casing. It's ~$1,000 retail I believe. These techs are so careless sometimes. I had mine scratched as well, but it wasn't very noticeable. Also OP, the plastic part that they scratched near your cubby box (2nd picture) is part of the entire upper dash. That's one whole piece that they'll need to replace by taking out your entire lower dashboard (glovebox, cubbies and all). These two repairs will take them much longer and be more labor intensive; however, they should cover the damages and learn from their mistake. If I were you, I would demand full replacement parts. There is no repairing the plastic pieces they damaged.

Last edited by Jottle; 08-03-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Advanced

Tough deal. I know it depends with certain dealers, but like someone stated, bringing this issue overnight may prove to go against you. obviously, there's nothing you could've done. we all have our lives to take care of. but in my knowledge, those dealers want proof that they caused the damage because simply showing off the picture doesn't indicate whether it was there before or whether they actually caused it.

it's a tough matter, but quite frankly, unless those guys are real nice about it, it's hard for you to win this case--if you want to call it that--based on the lack of evidence.

i think the best possible thing you could get is that they offer you free service on something minor. that's about the best i would expect.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Which dealer was this, if you don't mind telling?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PACman
Always do a walk through of your car before handing over the keys. During my life time of car ownership I got fed up with getting my car back with dings or wheel curb rash. Their job sheet has space on it for this task but they never do this when receiving your car! BMW used to make me laugh, they used to do the walkthrough of their courtesy car but never my car when it was being taken in.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Forgot to mention, this is one of the other reasons I hate handing over my car keys to mechanics, I am even hesitant to get my power steering hose replaced, scared they might trash something else. Door dings, grease interior, pushing the hood down which would cause a indentation.
I am sorry but I have become this way due to my own personal lifetime negative experiences with garages and dealers. The main dealers are no better than the local oil change places, they just give you that false sense of security that they are pros. In fact if anything they are worse, you dont even get to see what they are doing once they drive your ride down to their bay. I have seen dealers steel good parts from customers rides to put on another ride that is in for a service. It happens all the time. The best you can hope for as somone mentioned is a free service. They have the power and clout to state that they never did this and put you in a position to prove otherwise, regardless of when you noticed the damage. Meaning it really wouldnt matter even if you informed them of the damage on collection of your car or waited until the next day, sorry.

Last edited by limeybstrd; 08-04-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
That particular repair the OP got is really involved as they have to take out the entire NAV unit. The scratch in the fake wood trim panel (1st pic) is not a replaceable part. The dealer will have to order an entirely new Nav unit casing. It's ~$1,000 retail I believe. These techs are so careless sometimes. I had mine scratched as well, but it wasn't very noticeable. Also OP, the plastic part that they scratched near your cubby box (2nd picture) is part of the entire upper dash. That's one whole piece that they'll need to replace by taking out your entire lower dashboard (glovebox, cubbies and all). These two repairs will take them much longer and be more labor intensive; however, they should cover the damages and learn from their mistake. If I were you, I would demand full replacement parts. There is no repairing the plastic pieces they damaged.
A great way to make a ton of money on replacement parts! I'm getting more and more upset at the shoddy thought process that some of these engineers are putting into the design of the recent models.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Advanced

so what's the update on this situation, OP? did they do anything about it?
Old 08-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Advanced

Hey guys so heres the update...

The service manager has been really good through all this and apologized 100 times over. They are going to replace all the damages parts, detail my car, and do a 70k service on my car for no charge. Jottle is right too. The inside cubbie parts wrap around the entire dash (the advisor was up front with me about this) and they might need to purchase the entire piece.

I have to wait a week to get the parts and to have the loaner available but I will keep everyone updated on the progress.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Excellent! Great to hear the dealer taking care of the customer.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:02 AM
Advanced

Wow, great stuff! I honestly wouldn't have expected a dealer to do that. I definitely thought free service would be offered but I was not expecting them to replace the damaged parts. That's great service right there though.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:28 AM
Cruisin'

damn, i hope you get it fixed !