Leather -- Excessive Wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 02:41 PM
The Voice of Reason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather -- Excessive Wear

I've noticed some wear on the driver's seat side bolster. Wear and tear, to be sure, but I'm wondering if this isn't excessive wear and tear.

The reason I think it might be a defect is that my 1986 Porsche has exactly the same wear pattern on the side bolster, but it's taken it eighteen (18) more years to get to this point. So I think it's probably either horrible quality Honda leather, or environmentally-friendly dye.

Has anyone had this problem? And has anyone had any success at getting this fixed under warranty?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:25 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I have some wear on the side bolster, pretty sure its from getting into/out of the car. its just a little scuffed up and its not too bad after I condition it.

oh and its not real leather, so it would be horrible quality Honda pleather.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Instructor

I have a little wear, but nothing unusual. Does anybody else have the stitching along the side getting dyed from clothing? Both passenger and driver sides have a slight blue color from jeans. Any suggestions how to get this out? I use Lexol cleaner and protectant once a month.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stain from jeans on bolster

I have exactly the same problem with my driver side bolster stitched seam.... Also use Lexol and am interested in finding something to get it out
Old 07-26-2005, 07:48 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally Posted by virus7
I have some wear on the side bolster, pretty sure its from getting into/out of the car. its just a little scuffed up and its not too bad after I condition it.

oh and its not real leather, so it would be horrible quality Honda pleather.
I remember the pleather-leather perforated solid discussion and while the seat bases are pleather and the back is plastic, the seating surfaces are a poor quality 1mm thick Japanese leather that was very definitely once on the outside holding the insides of a Japanese cow inside.

I also had my doubts, but even cheap Korean vinyl must wear much better than this stuff!

BTW, the wear isn't all that noticible I just happened to be staring at it in the noonday sun. If I sell the car I'll just get "my" upholstery repair guy to do a spot-dye job on the worn area.

Anyone get Acura to replace the cover or would I just be wasting my time?
Old 07-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bob shiftright
I remember the pleather-leather perforated solid discussion and while the seat bases are pleather and the back is plastic, the seating surfaces are a poor quality 1mm thick Japanese leather that was very definitely once on the outside holding the insides of a Japanese cow inside.

I also had my doubts, but even cheap Korean vinyl must wear much better than this stuff!

BTW, the wear isn't all that noticible I just happened to be staring at it in the noonday sun. If I sell the car I'll just get "my" upholstery repair guy to do a spot-dye job on the worn area.

comes from raising the naugas in unsuitable conditions.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Instructor

comes from raising the naugas in unsuitable conditions.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember reading where someone had gotten the dealer to replace it under warranty. but his was already cracked within the first couple of months.

Just keep it conditioned with 303 protectant on the vinyl side and lexol on the leather and you should be ok. The perforated parts are leather.