Help! Dealer recommended new transmission drain 4,000 miles after previous one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:02 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Dealer recommended new transmission drain 4,000 miles after previous one?

HELP. In Sept 2011, I got a transmission drain and fill at the dealer for $120. In February, 4,000 miles later, I got a coupon for an oil change & went back to the dealer. The service guy told me the transmission needed a drain and fill. I said - you did that in Sept. He said the previous one hadn't been noted in the computer and it was a mistake. 6,000 miles later, I got another oil change coupon at the dealer and the service guy tells me again, I should have a drain and fill as the transmission fluid is dirty. How can this be? It's only 10,000 miles after the previous one? Should I be suspicious or get the transmission fluid changed again?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
I mean when I had a manual transmission car, I generally changed the transmission oil in the vehicle once every 3-4 oil changes. With automatic, I do it once every 4-5 oil changes or I try to get it done once every year or two. I'd be kind of suspicious though. Seems like they're just tryina get ur money.
The following users liked this post:
Adina (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
If fluid is dirty (did you look?), then they likely never changed it previously. Fluid <5K miles should look very clean.

I suspect AT service is pushed hard a dealerships, because they mark up bigtime and share w/ the mechanic who recommends. That's why I diy.

good luck
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
they are just trying to up sell you.
generally, i change MTF every 30k miles.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Adina
HELP. In Sept 2011, I got a transmission drain and fill at the dealer for $120. In February, 4,000 miles later, I got a coupon for an oil change & went back to the dealer. The service guy told me the transmission needed a drain and fill. I said - you did that in Sept. He said the previous one hadn't been noted in the computer and it was a mistake. 6,000 miles later, I got another oil change coupon at the dealer and the service guy tells me again, I should have a drain and fill as the transmission fluid is dirty. How can this be? It's only 10,000 miles after the previous one? Should I be suspicious or get the transmission fluid changed again?
Thanks for the reply. I have an automatic and was surprised when the dealership said I needed another drain and fill after only 4,000 miles, then told me the service note was a computer "mistake," then told me the same thing after 10,000 miles. Hmmm.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
If fluid is dirty (did you look?), then they likely never changed it previously. Fluid <5K miles should look very clean.

I suspect AT service is pushed hard a dealerships, because they mark up bigtime and share w/ the mechanic who recommends. That's why I diy.

good luck
Good idea. Should have checked it out right after the first drain and fill to be sure they really performed the service. Am thinking perhaps they never did...
Old 10-15-2012, 11:20 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
they are just trying to up sell you.
generally, i change MTF every 30k miles.
Every 30,000 miles sounds very reasonable. Thanks to everyone's responses, I think either they never did it the first time or are trying to get extra money. Will check to see whether the fluid is dirty myself on a regular basis. Meantime, I found a mechanic who services a lot of Acuras and who will do a drain and fill for a lot less $$$ than the dealer. Will also check after any service to make sure the fluid looks clean.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes, this sounds correct.

When you change your transmission fluid only half of it actually gets changed. THe rest is still in your transmission. So after a couple of thousand of miles of driving the dirty fluid mixes in with the new fluids. So generally it takes a couple of transmission fluid changes and couple of thousand of miles intervals to get all the dirty transmission fluid out.

Do not get a transmission fluid flush. Follow the transmission fluid change as described above. Honda does not recommend transmission fluid flush as manfacturing shavings and such can get stuck in the transmission internal parts and damage your transmission.
Adina (10-17-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
The independent is a good idea, espcially if he come recommended by others. Keep a close eye on him at first, and then you can relax a bit as he proves he's in it to help you.

Best advise I can give with an independent shop is to take all your business with that car there...then they know they'll keep getting business and have an incentive to do it right and treat you well.
Adina (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 02:04 PM
8th Gear

Perhaps that's why, the fluid is dirty again. Still seems a very short time to get dirty enough for another drain and fill. Being a newbie Acura owner, I was/am totally unsure whether they did it the first time. Appreciate the warning about the flush. The dealer first wanted to sell me a complete flush instead of the drain and fill.

Originally Posted by TerpNation
Yes, this sounds correct.

When you change your transmission fluid only half of it actually gets changed. THe rest is still in your transmission. So after a couple of thousand of miles of driving the dirty fluid mixes in with the new fluids. So generally it takes a couple of transmission fluid changes and couple of thousand of miles intervals to get all the dirty transmission fluid out.

Do not get a transmission fluid flush. Follow the transmission fluid change as described above. Honda does not recommend transmission fluid flush as manfacturing shavings and such can get stuck in the transmission internal parts and damage your transmission.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:07 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
The independent is a good idea, espcially if he come recommended by others. Keep a close eye on him at first, and then you can relax a bit as he proves he's in it to help you.

Best advise I can give with an independent shop is to take all your business with that car there...then they know they'll keep getting business and have an incentive to do it right and treat you well.
Good idea. The independent was recommended, however, besides oil changes, I have never done any maintenance outside the dealership. Am a bit nervous. I really love my Acura. Is there anything I should be sure he should do or not do during the drain and fill?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
You want an independent who has the right equipment to work on your car. That means a HDS computer and the shop manuals. Ask them to verify they have this available. Also ask if they charge by book time or actual time.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:28 PM
8th Gear

Thanks! After everyone's responses, I called the service guy at the dealership and he said he would talk to the manager. He called back and told me in the drain and fill, they only exchange 4 of 6.9 quarts. He said that's why the Owner's Manual says you should have a complete flush and during a complete flush, they drain and fill three times. He said that's the only correct way to change transmission fluid...I will go to the independent and ask whether they have the HDS computer and shop manuals as you suggest and get another drain and fill, not a complete flush, despite the dealer's recommendation. Appreciate your insight.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Banned

Thanks! After everyone's responses, I called the service guy at the dealership and he said he would talk to the manager. He called back and told me in the drain and fill, they only exchange 4 of 6.9 quarts. He said that's why the Owner's Manual says you should have a complete flush and during a complete flush, they drain and fill three times. He said that's the only correct way to change transmission fluid...I will go to the independent and ask whether they have the HDS computer and shop manuals as you suggest and get another drain and fill, not a complete flush, despite the dealer's recommendation. Appreciate your insight.
What car do you drive? And this advice is from a Honda/Acura delaership?

I would look at your owner's manual. Or a service manual relating to your vehicle. A flush may do damage to your transmission.

Its a gamble, paying 100 bucks only 3-4 times every few thousand miles to change your transmission fluid or few thousands to replace your transmission.

As mentioned previously the metal shavings getting stuck in your internal components during a flush from when your transmission was originally manfactured is a risk. That is why the drain bolt for your transmission has a magnetic inner tip to catch as much metal shavings at it can, but it does not catch them all. And a flush does force fluid through your transmission and the debris have a greater chance of damaging your transmission. Decide for yourself.

Last edited by TerpNation; 10-21-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The "drain and refill" only replaces 3 quarts of ATF each time, not 4, so your transmission fluid is bound to look dirty only after a few thousand miles when only about 40% of the fluid in the transmission is replaced.

The ATF Capacity is 6.9 quarts (7 quarts).

The proper way to change the transmission fluid is the "drain and refill" three times. If you do this at the dealership, it's bound to cost way more then $120. The ATF cost $8-$10 a quart depending on where you shop.

Your other option is to find a independent repair shop and give them 7 quarts of Honda(Acura) Automatic Transmission fluid and have them fill it in there Transmission Fluid Exchange machine. My local Jiffy Lube has a newer transmission fluid exchange machine that lightly sucks out the old fluid (Doesn't push or puncture anything like seals). Sucked out ~ 7 quarts and replaced with 7 quarts. I do this one every 60k miles.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey513
The "drain and refill" only replaces 3 quarts of ATF each time, not 4, so your transmission fluid is bound to look dirty only after a few thousand miles when only about 40% of the fluid in the transmission is replaced.

The ATF Capacity is 6.9 quarts (7 quarts).

The proper way to change the transmission fluid is the "drain and refill" three times. If you do this at the dealership, it's bound to cost way more then $120. The ATF cost $8-$10 a quart depending on where you shop.

Your other option is to find a independent repair shop and give them 7 quarts of Honda(Acura) Automatic Transmission fluid and have them fill it in there Transmission Fluid Exchange machine. My local Jiffy Lube has a newer transmission fluid exchange machine that lightly sucks out the old fluid (Doesn't push or puncture anything like seals). Sucked out ~ 7 quarts and replaced with 7 quarts. I do this one every 60k miles.
This procedure has been discussed here before and Honda is adamant about NOT doing this as it can/will damage the transmission. The drain/refill 3 times is the only procedure recommended by Honda (and the car should be driven a short distance between drain/refills to be done properly). I fully agree that this is a terribly inefficient way to change the fluid (and a tremendous waste of ATF), but I'll stick with Honda on this. If the fluid is changed out in this manner, it doesn't really need to be changed again for 90K miles (Honda's change interval). This seems a little long to me, so I've gone with a 60K mile interval. I would advise adjusting how often the fluid is changed based on the kind of driving you do (all highway for us). With 175K miles on my 05 and 167K miles on the 07, both transmissions (auto) still perform flawlessly.
TerpNation (10-31-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^+1

drain/fill x3 at 60,000 miles. drain/fill x1 every 30,000 thereafter. so says honda. anything else is taking advantage of consumer by the dealership.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Banned

when you drain and refill x3 how many miles is suggested to be driven before the second time and then the third time.

I have been under the impression its 1,000 miles in between.