Grinding noise while starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding noise while starting

Sometimes when i try to start my 04 TSX m/t it makes a grinding sound like there are some teeth that are sliding and skipping across. The car doesnt actually start when this happens. I have to try multiple times to get it going sometimes, and other times it starts up the first time. Also, I notice that when it does start after grinding and skipping, the same grinding noise can be heard when the car is in neutral and you rev it up slightly.

Anyone know what this could be? Could it be the starter or the thing the starter spins. I'm not exactly sure what the starter spins to get the car going. Could there be an issue with that component? Is it the flywheel that the starter is spinning?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 AM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsxnation
Sometimes when i try to start my 04 TSX m/t it makes a grinding sound like there are some teeth that are sliding and skipping across. The car doesnt actually start when this happens. I have to try multiple times to get it going sometimes, and other times it starts up the first time. Also, I notice that when it does start after grinding and skipping, the same grinding noise can be heard when the car is in neutral and you rev it up slightly.

Anyone know what this could be? Could it be the starter or the thing the starter spins. I'm not exactly sure what the starter spins to get the car going. Could there be an issue with that component? Is it the flywheel that the starter is spinning?
The starter has a gear which engages the gear on the flywheel when the
starter motor begins to spin. There are two ways the engagement is accomplished;
either a solenoid or by centrifugal force. I'm not a Honda guy so I don't know
which, but it sounds like it's time for a fresh rebuilt starter. The noise when revving
up means the starter gear is not releasing from the flywheel when the engine
fires up. Same solution - rebuilt starter.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Instructor

I actually opened up the tranny and the problem was shocking actually. It was that the ring gear off the flywheel had come off and the starter was just spinning it without actually turning over the car. Oh well, its an excuse to slap on the comptech flywheel
Old 07-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats on solving the problem. There is a Fidanza flywheel and ACT clutch GB going on right now.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:13 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsxnation
I actually opened up the tranny and the problem was shocking actually. It was that the ring gear off the flywheel had come off and the starter was just spinning it without actually turning over the car. Oh well, its an excuse to slap on the comptech flywheel
The second rarest failure know to modern man ...
Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Ya, I hear that this never happens to hondas. Well usually shit happens to me if i can so here i am, lol. I didn't want to go with the fidanza wheel due to possible issues with warping on aluminum flywheels you hear about. Comptech has a lightened steel flywheel so I can sleep easier at night!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Instructor

by the way, what is the first rarest failure?