GPS, Brake Job and Hello Post

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS, Brake Job and Hello Post

Just bought my first Acura, 2005 TSX with navigation. Thought I would start off this venture by joining the community. Being a new user, of course I've got questions.

1. I bought the car with 90,000 miles for only $8,000 because someone broke in and cut the navigation computer in the trunk. I have a few questions regarding this:

First off, does anyone know if the navigation unit in the trunk is the same for all first generation TSX Models (04-08)? I've found an affordable one out of a 2004 but that model didn't have XM Radio. I imagine this might not matter because the antenna and assembly for the XM is already in my car, so as long as I got an updated map DVD the computer should be able to run it!? Wishful thinking?

Second, because I am new to this forum I can't post in the black market section, so does anyone know a better place to get this Navi computer unit?

Third, the thieve cut the harness for some spiteful reason. Does anyone know where the next connection is for the wiring harness? Do I have to follow the harness all the way to the dash or is there a disconnect somewhere else in the line?

Fourth, the keyless entry and voice command feature also do not work. I imagine the voice command is apart of the computer, but is the keyless entry also integrated in that component? Or should I be looking somewhere else for this issue?

2. The Acura needs new brakes and maybe rotors. Is there anything special about putting on new brake rotors and pads for this Acura? I've done brake jobs on old Hondas and on my last car, 2001 Audi A4. Basically is should just be to jack up the car, loosen and remove the old pads and rotors and install the new parts with factory torq specifications. Anything specific I should know about the pads or rotors? Any suggested, recommend or necessary procedures for this repair?

I know it's a long post, but I am new with a lot of questions. I am sure there will be more. Once I am free to post in the Black Market I will be look to buy that DVD/Navi module and the wiring harness.

Evansoccer26 @ gmail.com
Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
The navi harness runs from the unit down to the passenger side right kick panel under the glove box. Not sure if it shares other wrapping with other harnesses.
Did you car come with a remote? those can be easily programmed and are pretty cheap.
Brakes are straight forward. Take it easy with the rotor removal. There are phillips screws that can strip. If you haven't allready, go to oreilly and get an impact screwdriver. They're about $10. Those come in super handy loosening the rotor screws.

did someone cut all the harnesses? antenna...etc
Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It came with the keyless entry remotes, but the doors won't lock unless the key is in the accessory position. So the remotes are useless at this point. So I am wondering if the doors not locking without the key in the ignition has to do with losing the DVD/Navi computer in the trunk?

They cut the harness right behind the DVD/Navi unit in the trunk. Probablly used wire cutters.

Good to know about the impact screwdriver, I believe I have one. Now I just need to trace back the cut wiring harness without ruining anything.

Anyone know compatibility with the Navi computer? Can I use one from a 2004 even though that year didn't have XM?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EvanIntl
Anyone know compatibility with the Navi computer? Can I use one from a 2004 even though that year didn't have XM?
I think you should be able to use a 2004 navigation system. Acura supposedly didn't make any changes until 2006 when they switched to a newer generation navigation system. Hopefully someone with an 05 can chime in.

Rather than making a specific system for each car, Honda/Acura re-uses parts as much as they can. For example, the 06 navigation system can accept a rearview camera input since it is the same unit as the one in the (MDX?). So, hopefully that's the same situation for you (that the radio has the ports even though the car doesn't come with the components).

The voice command system is part of the navigation unit I believe, hence you are able to issue navigation commands such as "find nearest gas station."

For the remotes, I don't know why they won't work without the key in the ignition. The only far-fetched guess that I could come up with is that the car won't let you lock the car unless everything is closed (doors, trunk, and I think the hood). If the car thinks one of them is open, it won't lock the car so that you know you need to check everything (ie: open and close the door again). The key in the ignition should disable the factory security system, thus allowing you to use the remote then. So...maybe however the thief broke into the car caused a sensor to remain open? *shrugs*

I replaced all of my brake pads on my own, and it was manageable for me with my manual tools (no power tools). I didn't replace the rotors, though. The rotors have two screws that are there for safety to hold the rotor there when you take your wheels off. The screws tend to get seized and become hard to remove. I remember one thread (possibly on the other forum) where a couple of people gave tips on how to remove those screws. I probably should have followed their advice, removed them, and left them off when the car was newer so that I wouldn't have any issues down the line. I think I'll just have a shop do it for me. lol

Last edited by SoCaliTrojan; 02-14-2012 at 02:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EvanIntl (02-17-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
I think you should be able to use a 2004 navigation system. Acura supposedly didn't make any changes until 2006 when they switched to a newer generation navigation system. Hopefully someone with an 05 can chime in.

Rather than making a specific system for each car, Honda/Acura re-uses parts as much as they can. For example, the 06 navigation system can accept a rearview camera input since it is the same unit as the one in the (MDX?). So, hopefully that's the same situation for you (that the radio has the ports even though the car doesn't come with the components).

The voice command system is part of the navigation unit I believe, hence you are able to issue navigation commands such as "find nearest gas station."

For the remotes, I don't know why they won't work without the key in the ignition. The only far-fetched guess that I could come up with is that the car won't let you lock the car unless everything is closed (doors, trunk, and I think the hood). If the car thinks one of them is open, it won't lock the car so that you know you need to check everything (ie: open and close the door again). The key in the ignition should disable the factory security system, thus allowing you to use the remote then. So...maybe however the thief broke into the car caused a sensor to remain open? *shrugs*

I replaced all of my brake pads on my own, and it was manageable for me with my manual tools (no power tools). I didn't replace the rotors, though. The rotors have two screws that are there for safety to hold the rotor there when you take your wheels off. The screws tend to get seized and become hard to remove. I remember one thread (possibly on the other forum) where a couple of people gave tips on how to remove those screws. I probably should have followed their advice, removed them, and left them off when the car was newer so that I wouldn't have any issues down the line. I think I'll just have a shop do it for me. lol
The screws holding the rotors on can be a major hassle. I went through quite a few bits (the phillips bit for the impact driver) and finally gave up (and I know a few tricks for removing frozen screws). That said, and as much as I hated to do it, I finally ended up drilling most of them out. This is not hard and seems to be a common way to deal with the problem. And.... it doesn't seem to make any difference once the wheels are on. Aside from that, the TSX is a super easy brake job (rotors and pads). The only thing that stands out (besides the rotor screws) is that the rear caliper pistons don't compress, they have to be "screwed" in. This may be a feature of Honda's and someone who has done brake jobs on Honda's in the past may be familiar with it.
The following users liked this post:
EvanIntl (02-17-2012)