Gas fume odor inside through dash in seams?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas fume odor inside through dash in seams?

Not sure if by some unknown reason gas was leaked close to my car, but all the way back home from work(10 miles or so) I needed to open my window as the gas fumes were obvious.

Although driving the car to work this morning I did not notice anything...

Perhaps getting the car wash (touchless) the day before was the cause?... but doubt this...anyone aware of any gas problem such as this one?

2005 Acura TSX 5AT

Thanks, Marc.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by marcl2001
Not sure if by some unknown reason gas was leaked close to my car, but all the way back home from work(10 miles or so) I needed to open my window as the gas fumes were obvious.

Perhaps getting the car wash (touchless) the day before was the cause?... but doubt this...anyone aware of any gas problem such as this one?

2005 Acura TSX 5AT

Thanks, Marc.
Sounds like an exhaust gasket is leaking somewhere. Possibly the headers or the gasket that connects the headers to the exhaust. If yuo're under warranty, i suggest you goto the dealer right away. Carbon monoxide poisoning is not something to be taken lightly.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by marcl2001

2005 Acura TSX 5AT

Thanks, Marc.
Did you fill gas at the car wash perhaps? When I first got a car, I overfilled the tank and the interior smelled like gas a few hours later. But I agree with Alin10123, if you have any doubt, take it to the dealer.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alin10123
Sounds like an exhaust gasket is leaking somewhere. Possibly the headers or the gasket that connects the headers to the exhaust. If yuo're under warranty, i suggest you goto the dealer right away. Carbon monoxide poisoning is not something to be taken lightly.

Thanks Alin,
The only thing was that walking up to the car in the parking lot, unless it was the car besides me I can smell like overspilled gas, and assumed it came from somewhere else.... therefore being that the car was sitting idle for 8 hours at work I suspect it wasnt the exhaust...but I'll know more if the smell does not dissapate tomorrow... it smelled almost like when you overfill your gas thank more like fresh gas...opposed to exhaust that is.

thanks

/Marc.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by micvog
Did you fill gas at the car wash perhaps? When I first got a car, I overfilled the tank and the interior smelled like gas a few hours later. But I agree with Alin10123, if you have any doubt, take it to the dealer.

Nope I filled up the day prior to the car wash, and thus 2 days prior to the smell now, and did not overspill.

thanks Marc,
Old 02-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Alin10123
If that were the case, would you get a CEL due to the possible exhaust leak?

I ask because this morning when I started the car, I could smell gas.. but then the smell went away after a little bit.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
If that were the case, would you get a CEL due to the possible exhaust leak?

I ask because this morning when I started the car, I could smell gas.. but then the smell went away after a little bit.
Not sure how the ECU would detect a slight leak somewhere. But just take it into the dealer if yuo're still under warranty.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Pro

I think the gas fumes were due to car next to me that just pulled out at the time I went to my car... or some strange phenomenon.

Last night on my way home and on my way to work this morning, I did not smell any gas. I took my car to a shop anyway so they can check if there is any exhaust leak and they said there was none. By the way, I have the comptech header and random tech hi flow cat.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
I think the gas fumes were due to car next to me that just pulled out at the time I went to my car... or some strange phenomenon.

Last night on my way home and on my way to work this morning, I did not smell any gas. I took my car to a shop anyway so they can check if there is any exhaust leak and they said there was none. By the way, I have the comptech header and random tech hi flow cat.
Well... good to know everything's ok. You NEVER want to risk carbon monoxide poisoning even when there's only a tiny chance it could be coming into the cabin. That stuff is colorless and odorless, so you wont even know it's coming. Glad to know it worked out though.