Front Passenger Headrest "Rattle"

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Front Passenger Headrest "Rattle"

I typically leave both front headrests in the full "up" position. When driving alone, the passenger side headrest "rattles" when driving over rough/bumpy roads. I know it's coming from the headrest because if I place my hand on the back side of it, it stops. It's more of a "vibration" rattle than a rattle caused by something being loose.

Does anyone else experiece this? The noise is not present when the headrest is in the full "down" position; only in the up position.

Just curious for some input before I head to the dealership tomorrow for a different repair (one of the chrome door trim pieces had a scratch on it when I bought the car so they are replacing it). I thought I'd mention the headrest noise while there and don't want them to simply brush it off by saying, "well just drive with the headrest fully down on the passenger side".

THANKS.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:51 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I may have that as well. I'm not really sure because there are so many rattles, vibrations and buzzes in my car its hard to tell where they are all coming from. Its either the headrest or the seatbelt adjustment (in my case). I tried to get my dealer to address the seatbelt adjusters but that went nowhere fast.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:09 PM
ABP 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just noticed this as well. I took out the passenger headrest and the rattle went away. Have you solved this problem or gotten it fixed?
Old 11-25-2006, 10:54 PM
4th Gear

Thumbs down

I have an 2004 TSX and I have more rattles in this car than I have had in all my previous cars combined. Mine are coming from the Speedometer and glove box.... but I still haven't been able to pin point them.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:35 AM
Cruisin'

i had the same problem and i was stupid enough to send it to honda to look at it (and get charged with it =S) before taking a proper look

the reason it only kicks in when you're alone is because the seat belt head/clip is secured on the seat belt holder.

but when u let it retract, it might not retract perfectly in such a way that the sash is untangled but instead it's twisted.

now that it's twisted the seat belt clip is now touching the plastic on the B Pillar and bumping it over rough roads rather than have no contact at all when it retracts perfectly.

next time u leave you're car, just see if your own seat belt retracts properly or not and if it doesn't, u should see the contact on the B Pillar with the seatbelt clip

check it out and see how it goes... yeah i thought it was the headrest acting funny but it didnt take einstein to figure this one out

phil
Old 11-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fdl
I think I may have that as well. I'm not really sure because there are so many rattles, vibrations and buzzes in my car its hard to tell where they are all coming from. Its either the headrest or the seatbelt adjustment (in my case). I tried to get my dealer to address the seatbelt adjusters but that went nowhere fast.
lol this is funny and true.......how sad
Old 11-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I know mine used to rattle a bit when it was 1 click away from the fully down position. Somehow it doesn't rattle anymore *shrugs*
Old 12-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Well after over two years of owning my TSX, I still have the headrest rattle. I hate it, but have learned to deal with it just like the other rattles; the dealership looks at me like i'm an idiot every time I mention it.

The rattle that drives me the MOST crazy is the one that comes from the seal belt adjusters...where you can raise or lower the seat belt on the side pillars. It doesn't matter at what point I adjust up/down, it still rattles. Maybe I just hear it more b/c I"m 6'4 and I drive with my seat all the way back...the drivers side adjuster just happens to be at my left ear.

I go back to the dealership in the morning to AGAIN (after about 10 tries) have them try to determine why I have a vibration when that can be felt in the steering wheel/column at approx. 58-62 mph. It's had this vibration since about the 15,000 mile mark (at 44,000 now). I've bought new tires, had a four-wheel alighnment, and even had each of the rims checked to make sure none are bent. I am going to take the TSB with me that talks about the rear camber...maybe this is causing it. I hate that dealership.