AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TSX Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/)
-   -   Front-end CLUNK noise when turning and backing out everyday!! (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/front-end-clunk-noise-when-turning-backing-out-everyday-776824/)

greendestiny 05-19-2010 08:02 PM

Front-end CLUNK noise when turning and backing out everyday!!

So I've got over 105k miles on my 2005 TSX now and this problem began at around 75k miles.

Everytime when I back out in reverse and turn the steering wheel, CLANK! But it only does it once. Repeat the process and it will not happen. You have to let the car sit for a while again in order to do it.

Sometimes, when doing a full U-turn, on a very slanted road and turning the steering wheel, same thing, CLANK !

Also, it can clank if you are backing out, and there is a slight bump in the road, it will clunk too.

The clank has been getting louder and louder. It does not appear to be the suspension compression because normal road bumps do not make the noise.
It is a single noise, a big CLUNK!

Does anyone have this problem and know what it is? I suspect it could be the CV joints or a front end bushing??

Someone please help.

thanks.

huludicidal 05-19-2010 08:27 PM

This is typical of sway bar links. I'd check your endlinks and control arm bushings.

TWONZ 05-19-2010 09:23 PM

I have this same issue, not as loud as you describing but something is going on down there.
'04 with 77K

greendestiny 05-19-2010 10:37 PM

I do have a comptech RSB but I know what I'm hearing and it is NOT coming from the rear. It is for certain coming from the front end! It is quite loud and it is not from the rear end.

Kap 05-29-2010 09:35 AM

I don't know what it is but I do know this much. The reason you can't see it is because it will only be evident when the car is on a lift and the suspension is free to hang or dangle. It's very easy and probably the only way to tell for sure what's wrong until someone starts poking around with it but again it has to be on a lift or at least the car has to be jacked up one side at a time to remove the tension on the front end. If you are not a front end guy or really mechanical I would take it in and have someone look at it. Your driving on borrowed time, and an accident is possible. I would not fool around with it hoping it will get better.
If the price is extensive for repair get a couple of quotes, but don't keep driving it.
That would be very expensive.

Simba91102 05-29-2010 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by huludicidal (Post 12030503)
This is typical of sway bar links. I'd check your endlinks and control arm bushings.

I agree, it sure sounds like an end link. They look just like the rear ones (but are a different part number). You should put the car on a lift or at least lift the front end and take the wheels off so you can get a good look at the suspension. Assuming it is the sway bar, it's not really dangerous but does need to be fixed.

jimstsx 05-30-2010 01:09 AM

Same Issue

I had the same problems...almost exactly as you described. The service shop told me that it was the rack and pinion. I guess the rack was bad and they suggested a full rebuild since Acura doesn't have many new racks for an 05 available. I'm probably looking at 1000-1500 to fix it. I put in Lucas Oil Rack and Pinion formula as a band-aid until I decide what I'm going to do about this. The noise is gone but I am sure it is only a matter of time before I have to do something about this.

2005 TSX 99,300 miles.

huludicidal 05-30-2010 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by greendestiny (Post 12030837)
I do have a comptech RSB but I know what I'm hearing and it is NOT coming from the rear. It is for certain coming from the front end! It is quite loud and it is not from the rear end.

You have a sway bar in the front too. That's what I was referring to.

jimstsx 06-01-2010 01:09 PM

Recall

Don't know if you guys all saw the new steering recall that was announced but we should begin getting notification. Here is what I found on it...

Estimated Vehicles Affected: 167255
2005 ACURA TSX Defect Summary:
HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2004 THROUGH 2008 ACURA TSX PASSENGER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 25, 2002 AND FEBRUARY 13, 2008. PROLONGED HIGH UNDER HOOD TEMPERATURES MAY CAUSE THE POWER STEERING HOSE TO DETERIORATE PREMATURELY AND MAY CAUSE THE HOSE TO CRACK AND LEAK POWER STEERING OIL.

I take my car in to the dealer today on this and many other things!

greendestiny 06-02-2010 01:02 AM

I just had the passenger side axle assembly completely replaced and the steering is much sharper now.. there was significant play in the inner CV joint that would go clunk clunk clunk when I used my hands to wiggle it. I thought that was the problem!

Sadly it is not!!! The problem is still there. This weekend, I have attempted to look underneath the car for one LAST time and I checked the front sway bar. It is tight as a door bell. I've also tightened down the struts (nuts) at the top of the engine bay.

I did not see any other things that were loose. I am stumped.

bluenorge 10-30-2011 09:59 PM

I have this problem too. Mine is a very minor "thud" or "bump" sound. Defenitely in the front end, I can feel it in my feet area. Nothing over bumps while driving. Ive check sway bar links, bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, motor mounts. All is good.
Anybody have this issue?

tsx&skate 11-02-2011 11:46 PM

did you also check your motor mounts?front and right side mounts?

tsxykid105 11-08-2011 09:45 PM

i remember this thread many have been posted but one guy said that when going over curbs driveways or making sharp u-turns that the force of it would make your subframe hit another part of the frame i think up towards the radiator on the 04-06 years and due to the bolts being undertorqued or loseing over time but ive also heard bushings tie-rods ball joings rack and pinion etc i have the sound just one time when backing out or making full lock u-turns but i live with it and have for almost a year until i know what it is car still drives straight and great.

gyang401 11-14-2011 10:30 AM

same problem here....stock not lowered, stock suspension...it started on the passenger side....now even on the driver side....like what you all mention above....only happens when making a complete stop and turn, reversing out , and going up a drive way....my buddys 08 tsx 63k miles, same problem, he is now lowered w/buddy club n1, front camber blah blah blah rear etc etc...and "CLUNG" sound still exist up until now....!

imthegreat2004 05-26-2014 02:29 PM

hey guys, did anyone resolve this issue?

philblok 06-23-2014 11:45 PM

I had this problem from time I got car.(140,000)> I read the forum, checked out highly rate acura mechanics, had a list of everything I wanted replaced.
In meantime , I found a really good deal on tires. Had them installed where I was going to have all the work done. They properly installed tires, cleaning the hub, etc., tightened the lugs. Didn't touch any of the sway bar links, tie bars, motor mounts....nothing. That awful thumping or popping sound is gone. So I think it was in the hub or just loose lugs. Hope so.
Will keep posted.

tsxykid105 07-08-2014 05:17 PM

Its the lower control arms. The compliance bushing is the main cause but the other 2 can also be bad. Some replace just that bushing but I replaced the whole arm and it went away. I did this on my dads 05 tax and my 04 tax and the lower control arms were the problem on both. Also a good idea to change sway bar links since you have to take one side off to get the arm off. I get mymarms from carquest because I work there but any advance or auto zone should have them. I think there $150 each.