Fix AC and CV joint or sell as is?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:28 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fix AC and CV joint or sell as is?

Good morning,

Need some help here. My '04 manual TSX is having what I believe is the CVjoint vibration while accelerating issue (around 30 and 55 mph) and its ACcompressor blew (not sure if the entire system is contaminated or not). Neitherof these issues have been diagnosed thoroughly yet, as I've been busy. I amgoing to go through it with a mechanic-for-hire here at my Army post thisThursday hopefully. The rest of the car is fine, no rust, no damage, cleanhistory, looks great, 118000 miles.

After reviewing other threads, it seems that the AC will likely be the mostexpensive to fix. I'm selling the vehicle because I don't need it. KBB saysvalue for fair condition is $6,909. I would be very happy to get this for thecar.

I should have some time over the next two months to work on the vehicle. Anyrecommendation on if I should try to fix both or either of these issues beforetrying to sell it? Could I even get "fair" condition value out ofthis vehicle with these two mechanical problems?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:34 PM
9th Gear

Sorry about the word combo's up there, not sure why that happened.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
The axle replacements should be fairly straightforward. There are some good threads here on procedure, and check youtube vidoes (Acura/Honda) for additional help. See discussions on high quality axles vs. AZ, OR, etc axles.

The AC will be challenging if you've not done any AC work before. If you're lucky, the compressor siezed but did not shed debris (possible w/ a scroll compressor). If receiver/drier is clear of debris, you should be OK (remove plug and drain oil to look for debris in oil and filter). You will need a new receiver/drier dessicant sleeve, replacement (used or new) compressor, R134a, and 4-6 oz double-ended PAG lube. I like a little extra lube to compensate for losses during charging, and future pressure measurements.

Replace compressor w/ about 1/2 oil in compressor, put remainder in receiver/drier.

Vacuum for 1/2 hr and shut manifold valves. If vacuum holds w/i 5 in-hg for 1/2 hr, you should be fine to charge system.

Check autoacforum for charging procedure. Reading an automotive AC manual will also help understand procedures.

good luck
Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM
8th Gear

cv joints arent that bad to remove/ replace ...

but the cost for them is a bit different ...

compressor should be straight forward, also replacing a few other components ...

w/ the things fixed, you should be able to get top coin for it =)
Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
9th Gear

Thanks guys. I'll repair it then and use the mechanic-for-hire here to help with both issues.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:03 PM
9th Gear

Just for clarification, for the vibration when accelerating issue, do I need to replace the entire axle or just the inner axle joint/boot? I'm confused after reading other threads. The one posted by heeltoeauto says only the joint/boot. But others are saying the entire axle.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Most folks replace entire axle. Replacing parts in a CV joint is difficult, dirty, and may not work.

Personally, I like Raxles after a bad experience w/ AZ axles, but others have had good experiences w/ chain store cv axles.

good luck
The following users liked this post:
charlie.n.hill (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 PM
9th Gear

So update to my situation. I replaced the axle myself. No issues and vibration free for the first time in months. I would have to say that this is a two-man job, as it can be difficult to maneuver the old & new axles through/around other components.

I'm having my AC fixed on Wednesday. I bought the parts, and a mechanic for hire is going to do the work.

Last issue that I'm having: I left the window cracked during the summer, and an unexpected rain shower took advantage of me. I found some water near the switches on the drivers side door. Now the cruise control main switch won't engage (turns on and then immediately clicks off) and my key fob doesn't work / won't reprogram. I checked all fuses, and no luck. It's gotta be a short right? I just can't find it. Those are the only two electrical glitches that I'm having, but they don't seem to be related other than the date / instance they occurred. Any help would be appreciated as always.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by charlie.n.hill
So update to my situation. I replaced the axle myself. No issues and vibration free for the first time in months. I would have to say that this is a two-man job, as it can be difficult to maneuver the old & new axles through/around other components.

I'm having my AC fixed on Wednesday. I bought the parts, and a mechanic for hire is going to do the work.

Last issue that I'm having: I left the window cracked during the summer, and an unexpected rain shower took advantage of me. I found some water near the switches on the drivers side door. Now the cruise control main switch won't engage (turns on and then immediately clicks off) and my key fob doesn't work / won't reprogram. I checked all fuses, and no luck. It's gotta be a short right? I just can't find it. Those are the only two electrical glitches that I'm having, but they don't seem to be related other than the date / instance they occurred. Any help would be appreciated as always.
There have been a couple of stories about this I think. I think the whole control module (in the armrest) may need to be replaced. I think if it were a question of it drying out on its own, it would have done that by now. If the search function of the website wasn't so dismal, you might be able to find some mention of it, but I'd say don't bother. Maybe someone else can add more.